Chai

Black Chai Blend
Anise, Cardamon, Cinnamon, Cloves, Ginger
Anise
Edit tea info Last updated by Andrea Stephens

• “sipdown! the first time i had this, i forgot to log it. This time, because of my unfortunate experience brewing this with water, i tried it with milk. Sorry to say but this is not so much a chai...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4862 tasting notes
  • “This is what happens when I make Indian for dinner: I have chai for the next few days. I agree with everyone about the heavy clove in this. It took me a few times to get used to it, but that was a...” Read full tasting note
    devvyleys 63 tasting notes
  • “This is actually my last pot of this tea. Dry it has nice dark leaves with large pieces of clove, whole cardamom pods and star anise. It smells spicy. The wet leaves take on more of an anise...” Read full tasting note
    sandragon 61 tasting notes
  • “I tried using this tea for a traditional chai where you heat milk with the tea on the stove. While spice mix was good it took an very very long time to infuse and even then it was much to weak....” Read full tasting note
    LillywithRosie 2 tasting notes

From T2

The T2 signature blend inspired by the Indian masala chai is the real deal and a unique classic in its own right. Over a black tea base, bold, sharp cloves and star anise join cardamon, cinnamon and ginger in an assertively spicy mix. Great in winter to warm the cockles, Chai provides a calming boost on even the most wild and woolly day.

Brew: Chai can be brewed two ways. Use 1 teaspoon per 200mls, brew 2-3 minutes in water at 100 degrees for a quick fix. Or for a richer and more authentic taste, brew in the traditional Indian fashion. Place water and chai into a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Remove from heat, add equal parts milk and sugar (if desired) and return to low heat. Simmer for 5-10 minutes. Add honey at end (if desired).

Serve: With milk and sugar or honey if desired.

Ingredients: Black tea, cloves, cardamon, cinnamon, star anise, ginger

About T2 View company

sipdown! the first time i had this, i forgot to log it. This time, because of my unfortunate experience brewing this with water, i tried it with milk. Sorry to say but this is not so much a chai to me and mostly a mix of cloves…and more cloves and oh hey, some cloves :) The tea disappears with this particular blend and even after trying to pull out a bit of the cloves, it still is too much for me. Thanks for the share though Alice! It’s helping me figure out what my perfect chai might be like :)

Nxtdoor

Lemme guess… Your perfect chai is going to have … Errr…. Cloves? :p

Haha yes to cloves…but in moderation :p

alice

I might be responsible for some of the excess cloves I’m afraid. When I make it I tend to put some of the cloves back in the jar and since I sent you the last little bit I had… haha sorry, I should have taken some out :(

Even with a reduced number of cloves it is a heavily spiced chai and the tea still gets lost it in. I also didn’t really like that they use ground cinnamon instead of pieces of bark, I think it gives an unpleasant after sensation in the mouth (does that make sense?).

Haha not too worry Alice. And yes I get what you mean with the cinnamon…

Tehkella

I agree, it’s very clovey and spicy (just trying some now and it’s a bit too spicy on the back of the throat).

This is what happens when I make Indian for dinner: I have chai for the next few days. I agree with everyone about the heavy clove in this. It took me a few times to get used to it, but that was a couple years ago now. So it’s been in my cupboard ever since. I know that it’s not my favourite chai that I’ve tried, but T2 is the most convenient tea company for me, especially given Australia’s insanely tight customs regulations. I simply wouldn’t be able to order chai from overseas. Well, I suppose I could order it; I just wouldn’t recieve it. Ideally I’d like to make my own masala chai blend, but I want to make sure I could find the freshest spices before I laid out the money gathering it all together.

In any case, I made a concentrate to go through the next few days. Then I filled my cup with 1/3 chai and 2/3 milk (spoiling myself with whole milk today) a little honey and a little sugar. Despite the way that sounds, it’s not very sweet, but just sweet enough. I finish it off with nutmeg that I freshly grate over the top while the tea is still moving from the stirring. When the nutmeg hits the surface it magically spreads out, looking like a swirling, spicy universe in my cup. What a nice way to start the day.

This is actually my last pot of this tea. Dry it has nice dark leaves with large pieces of clove, whole cardamom pods and star anise. It smells spicy. The wet leaves take on more of an anise (licorice) smell. When tasting no particular spice stands out, I personally think it could use a little more ginger. For me it is a good chai but not a stand out.

I tried using this tea for a traditional chai where you heat milk with the tea on the stove. While spice mix was good it took an very very long time to infuse and even then it was much to weak. There is simply not even black tea in the mix for a satisfactory cup of chai.

185 °F / 85 °C 8 min or more
Cosmonaut

I have also had difficulties making traditional Chai, in this way, with this mix. Whilst the mix itself smells and looks great, it’s not practical for making milk-based Chai’s :(

This Chai is flooded with cloves and as a result the remaining spices and tea itself are drowned out. It tastes more like an undefined assault of cloves and generic spice than a black tea that has been mixed with different spices. It could do with less cloves and more cinnamon and ginger.

I have made this with milk and honey and also tried it with vanilla soy milk and honey (by warming the milk on the stove and having half milk half boiling water) I would recommend the vanilla soy milk and honey as it seems to allow more of the spices to shine through.

After trying this several times it has left me wanting to mix my own Chai as the proportions of spices really do seem off.

I would recommend this to coffee drinkers wanting to ease off the coffee and have a go at tea as it certainly doesn’t taste like ‘tea’ and can be made nice and milky.

delicious on a cold day to lift the spirit, deep and rich spices with a smart balance.

Way, way, WAY too much star anise. Completely overpowers the other spices. As an experiment I picked all the anise pieces out of one bag – the pile of anise was roughly the size of the remaining tea mix.
Not bad to drink if you’re a fan of anise, but not as a chai.

Flavors: Anise

Boiling

I’m the type who drinks their Chai ‘straight’, no milk, honey or sugar. I love the spice of Chai and think it can stand on its own. This is a very nice addition to my Chai collection, a little bit harsher than some other’s I’ve sampled. However, I’ve still given it to someone who’d never tried Chai before and they seemed to enjoy it.

So THIS is the tea that started my love affair with loose leaf tea (well, who am I kidding? Tea in general!!). I was lured in by its spicy scent and when on tasting at T2 it was brewed with vanilla soy milk and honey. I am now NEVER without vanilla soy in my cupboard.

I find this tea can be hit and miss. Sometimes it can be perfect, and other times, a bit meh.
The cloves do tend to over pow3er and i have taken to the habit of culling some of the cloves and this definately improves my chance of making an awesome chai.

I make this 2 ways: 50% water 50% vanilla soy milk heat milk and water separetely and brew for 3-5 min while adding honey to taste.
50% water 50% vanilla soy millk on a stove top while adding honey. Brew for about 5 min. Do not let boil!

Ignore my water temperature and brewing time at the bottom of this review as I make chai with milk on the stove and stop brewing according to taste.

I’m still not sure if my lowish score is because of this particular tea, or if I’m just not quite convinced by chai mixes. I always find myself adding and taking out spices from my spoon to adjust the flavour, in this case it has usually been removing cloves. I also find that for a milk brew, the tea base gets lost. I can’t help but think I’d be better served in the future by tracking down a black tea that brews well in milk and raiding the spice cupboard for the rest.