Golden Dragon Yellow Tea

Yellow Tea
Yellow Tea Leaves
Honey, Sweet, Vegetal, Floral, Malt, Butter, Smooth, Grass, Earth, Vegetables, Herbaceous, Mineral
Medium
Fair Trade, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaHeez

From Teavana

We are proud to offer one of the rarest teas in the world; our limited edition yellow tea direct from China. The name ‘yellow’ tea refers not only to the unique processing and the lovely, bright golden infusion color, but due to its rarity it is also associated with the imperial yellow worn exclusively by emperors for centuries. Unlike any tea you have tasted before, at first sip it evokes the exquisite pleasure of everyday luxuries. Captivating high floral notes mingle with a smooth honeyed body and a subtle creamy, buttery finish. A perfectly balanced tea curated just for you.

High floral top note with smooth, mellow body with a subtle buttery finish

About Teavana View company

1/20/14 Midday tea. 3g/6oz/175F First steep – 2 minutes. Very much the same tea as the pot tasting. 2nd steep – 2 minutes. The aroma and color in cup are lighter, but the flavor is still bright. A touch more astringent. The tastes don’t hang on the palate as long. 3rd steep – 3 minutes. This infusion is less golden in the cup, more a ‘summers first green is gold’ shade. The aroma is more vegetal and astringent. The taste has smoothed out and lightened a lot. This might be the last steep the leaves can support. 4th steep – 3min30sec. Both the tea aroma and color are very light now. The brew feels much lighter on the tongue, and the primary taste is a light astringent tone. I’m not going to try for a 5th steep.

A nice progression all in all.

175 °F / 79 °C
Christopher F.

I’ve yet to try it brewed this way, but I plan to tonight. Thank you for the insight and I hope my findings are as good as yours.

I’m baccck! Sorry it’s been so long, but I’ve been super busy.

Stopped into a Teavana with friends the other night and they were offering this one up as a sample. To me it didn’t seem much different from some really nice Yunnan teas I’ve tried before. I found it to be rather malty with a touch of honey. Sure it was nice, but I didn’t find it to be as special as they were claiming it to be.

I certainly wasn’t going to shell out nearly $30 to take some home with me.

Honestly, I love this tea; I bought 6oz of it. I miss the 90 bucks it all cost, but this tea is just great!
If anyone can recommend a similar tea that is less expensive, I’d be forever in your debt.

~1tsp in yixing pot,
1-2 steeps 15seconds with 175F
Colour is light golden.
Aroma is of mild honey, floral and sweet.
Taste is much of the same with a smooth buttery finish, that doesn’t stick around too long.
3-4 Steeps 20 seconds 180F
Colour is more of a yellow/green, still pleasing.
Aroma has settled on the floral notes and less on the honey.
Taste is much lighter, more delicate, but less complex.
5th steep 25 seconds 180F
Colour is now like a clear yellow.
Aroma still hits with the floral, but significantly less “umph” to it.
Taste has mellowed out and the buttery finish is almost gone.

I’ll keep steeping with 30sec times until I get clear water out of the leaves. I really enjoyed this one. The spent leaves are also very attractive on the bottom of the yixing pot.

AnnaEA

Nice to see a brewing note for a gongfu style brewing of this tea – I thought it would lend itself to it nicely! Thank you for sharing.

Christopher F.

You’re welcome. It really was worth brewing to this way. I think I had 8-9 steeps total before it just tasted like hot water.

Sha9on

FYI Teavana has an AWESOME sale! I just got this in the store for 78% off! You might want to check your store! It is only 50% online.

Just had a cup of this tea in my gaiwan which I received from Anna as a sample. thank you very much Anna. A good cup of tea. A very gold color in my gaiwan which looks nice. The aroma is very strong vegetal smell. The taste is smooth and mellow. It does not lingerin the mouth too long. Overall a good cup of tea.

Steven Cook

This is one of my favorite teas on the wall, little pricey though.

So, I recently stopped by Teavana the other day and saw that they had this tea half off and knowing that this is the most expensive and unique tea they had, being a yellow tea, I had been waiting to give it a try! At first, this tea tastes closer to a Yunnan to me with a buttery and subtley sweet taste. I tried a second steeping, adding some of teavanas German rock salt, and noticed that the honey flavor was starting to show more. I tried steeping it a second time and noticed a more vegetal taste, but still with a hint of honey. Having never tried a yellow tea before I was pleasantly surprised! The price is a little steep for me, but I would definitely try it again if it were on sale. For now, I have a good 4oz to enjoy!

Flavors: Honey, Sweet, Vegetal

My mum was desperate to find something as delicious as DAVIDs Yellow Gem (very rare) and I told her NOT to try, she would be disappointed by her finds and nothing else could compare. She bought this, she hated it, I tried it, I hated it. I couldn’t get it to be bold enough. I tried different concentrations, longer steeps, hotter water, cooler water. Nothing worked and I am sorry, but I used the rest of it as a bath soak.

tanyasew

LOL…..“I used the rest of it as a bath soak.”

Sipdown (116)!

Thank you TheLastDodo for the sample! Sorry it took a while to get to; I was trying to save it for a special occasion but eventually gave up on that. Then, in this week’s class, my instructor mentioned this blend specifically and said it was actually on of Teavana’s better straight teas and worthy of a taste if we wanted to try a not ‘half bad’ yellow tea. Since I already had a sample…

Visually, the dry leaf of this blend looked like somewhat tarnished, lightly browned Yin Zhen (Silver Needle tea) but a little more twisty. Steeped up, the liquor is a very flat, dull golden yellow. It’s very beautiful, even if it’s not a more lively looking liquor. Personally, I’ve only had three or four other plain yellow teas and they’ve been prepared in blue teaware, so I can’t really use my personal experiences to say whether this colour is normal for steeped up yellow tea though. The aroma is interesting; it’s soft with a bit of a buttery vegetal smell and some malt and sweeter notes as well.

Drinking this, it was really apparent to me that the nuances of flavor take after traditional Yin Zhen and Green Tea (perhaps a more Chinese green than Japanese based on the notes I observed) pretty equally; of course that makes sense given that yellow tea is halfway between white and green tea. On the greener end of the spectrum, I noticed very gentle smokey notes, buttery vegetal notes, a bit of a peppery flavor leaning towards lemon pepper more so than black pepper (or the actual vegetable; bell pepper, etc.), and some less distinct herbaceous notes as well. That lovely peppery quality definitely falls in line with other yellow teas I’ve been lucky enough to sample.

On the whiter side of things; there was a lovely supple sweetness that reminded me of honey or, combined with the weaker floral tones present, honeysuckle. A more vague hay-like flavour was present, and a flavor that kind of crossed over between malt and cream with a soft fruity edge; very similar to some of the Kenyan white teas I’ve gotten to try. I like to describe that flavor as kind of tasting like a Hot Cross Bun/Easter bun, in a way.

This was a super interesting tea, and I loved all the flavors present that bounced off one another; I’ve only gotten to try a few different yellow teas, and this isn’t my least favourite but it’s not my favourite either: so far Camellia Sinensis’ Meng Ding Huang Ya is my favourite. Both this tea and CS’s heavy big price tags; but with the quality difference I’d go with CS’s yellow tea. However, I think this is definitely worth trying if you get the chance because it WAS lovely.

Here’s another one from TheLastDodo! Thanks! Here’s a pricey little cup (looking up steeping instructions on Teavana’s site!) Oh Teavana. Haha. After trying a few yellow teas, I’m starting to think they are like a mix between light Yunnans and Kenyan white teas. The leaves here are a long twisty grayish color with hints of gold. The steep color is a lighter grayish gold as well. The flavor is good – notes of sweet potato, light tomato soup, honey, sweet grass. It’s a great yellow tea… but worth that price? It’s not GOLD tea! I’d trust another tea shop valuing a tea this high, but not Teavana. I’d much sooner drink a Yunnan or Kenyan white tea anyway and any of those are probably much cheaper. But I’ll enjoy the remaining teaspoons I have of this one.
Steep #1 // 2 tsps. // 30 min after boiling // 3 min
Steep #2 // 20 min a.b. //4 min

I might have been a little more absent from Steepster lately due to catching up on Tournament books and the Tournament itself: themorningnews.org/tob

Haveteawilltravel

My same thoughts when I bought this :)

TheLastDodo

TOB sounds cool! So do you read 2 books and judge which one has a better story? Or do you go by writing style?

tea-sipper

Haveteawilltravel – I’m just happy it isn’t a BAD tea. :D

TheLastDodo – I guess it’s the whim of each judge what they’d like to judge by. But it’s probably many factors!

I love this and all its buttery goodness!!! Its one I want to keep on hand all the time! However….Its on the pricey side sadly =(

Haven’t drank any yellow teas before, but since they had a sale of 50% off on this tea and I read such great reviews I thought I would try it.
This tea is supposedly Teavanas most expensive tea. Well I gotta say it is my favorite tea from Teavana!! This tea is mellow, smooth, delicious. I love it! I wish I could afford to drink it all the time but I definitely will check for sales and pick it up when ever I can!

2 min, 45 sec 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML