Golden Dragon Yellow Tea

Butter, Floral, Malt, Vegetables, Herbaceous, Honey, Grass, Earth, Mineral
Medium
Fair Trade, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaHeez

• “1/20/14 Midday tea. 3g/6oz/175F First steep - 2 minutes. Very much the same tea as the pot tasting. 2nd steep - 2 minutes. The aroma and color in cup are lighter, but the flavor is...” Read full tasting note
    AnnaEA 84 tasting notes
  • “I'm baccck! Sorry it's been so long, but I've been super busy. Stopped into a Teavana with friends the other night and they were offering this one up as a sample. To me it didn't seem much...” Read full tasting note
    ThePurrfectCup 374 tasting notes
  • “Honestly, I love this tea; I bought 6oz of it. I miss the 90 bucks it all cost, but this tea is just great! If anyone can recommend a similar tea that is less expensive, I'd be forever in your...” Read full tasting note
    Soloracer24 22 tasting notes
  • “Just had a cup of this tea in my gaiwan which I received from Anna as a sample. thank you very much Anna. A good cup of tea. A very gold color in my gaiwan which looks nice. The aroma is very...” Read full tasting note
    Tea junkie 1 tasting notes

From Teavana

We are proud to offer one of the rarest teas in the world; our limited edition yellow tea direct from China. The name ‘yellow’ tea refers not only to the unique processing and the lovely, bright golden infusion color, but due to its rarity it is also associated with the imperial yellow worn exclusively by emperors for centuries. Unlike any tea you have tasted before, at first sip it evokes the exquisite pleasure of everyday luxuries. Captivating high floral notes mingle with a smooth honeyed body and a subtle creamy, buttery finish. A perfectly balanced tea curated just for you.

High floral top note with smooth, mellow body with a subtle buttery finish

About Teavana View company

1/20/14 Midday tea. 3g/6oz/175F First steep – 2 minutes. Very much the same tea as the pot tasting. 2nd steep – 2 minutes. The aroma and color in cup are lighter, but the flavor is still bright. A touch more astringent. The tastes don’t hang on the palate as long. 3rd steep – 3 minutes. This infusion is less golden in the cup, more a ‘summers first green is gold’ shade. The aroma is more vegetal and astringent. The taste has smoothed out and lightened a lot. This might be the last steep the leaves can support. 4th steep – 3min30sec. Both the tea aroma and color are very light now. The brew feels much lighter on the tongue, and the primary taste is a light astringent tone. I’m not going to try for a 5th steep.

A nice progression all in all.

175 °F / 79 °C
Christopher

I’ve yet to try it brewed this way, but I plan to tonight. Thank you for the insight and I hope my findings are as good as yours.

I’m baccck! Sorry it’s been so long, but I’ve been super busy.

Stopped into a Teavana with friends the other night and they were offering this one up as a sample. To me it didn’t seem much different from some really nice Yunnan teas I’ve tried before. I found it to be rather malty with a touch of honey. Sure it was nice, but I didn’t find it to be as special as they were claiming it to be.

I certainly wasn’t going to shell out nearly $30 to take some home with me.

If anyone can recommend a similar tea that is less expensive, I’d be forever in your debt.

~1tsp in yixing pot,
1-2 steeps 15seconds with 175F
Colour is light golden.
Aroma is of mild honey, floral and sweet.
Taste is much of the same with a smooth buttery finish, that doesn’t stick around too long.
3-4 Steeps 20 seconds 180F
Colour is more of a yellow/green, still pleasing.
Aroma has settled on the floral notes and less on the honey.
Taste is much lighter, more delicate, but less complex.
5th steep 25 seconds 180F
Colour is now like a clear yellow.
Aroma still hits with the floral, but significantly less “umph” to it.
Taste has mellowed out and the buttery finish is almost gone.

I’ll keep steeping with 30sec times until I get clear water out of the leaves. I really enjoyed this one. The spent leaves are also very attractive on the bottom of the yixing pot.

AnnaEA

Nice to see a brewing note for a gongfu style brewing of this tea – I thought it would lend itself to it nicely! Thank you for sharing.

Christopher

You’re welcome. It really was worth brewing to this way. I think I had 8-9 steeps total before it just tasted like hot water.

Just had a cup of this tea in my gaiwan which I received from Anna as a sample. thank you very much Anna. A good cup of tea. A very gold color in my gaiwan which looks nice. The aroma is very strong vegetal smell. The taste is smooth and mellow. It does not lingerin the mouth too long. Overall a good cup of tea.

This was my first yellow tea. And what a way to start. In the tin, it smelled very malty. But once brewed, there was only a faint, malty aftertaste. It was delicately floral with a buttery aftertaste. I really, really enjoyed it.

Flavors: Butter, Floral, Malt

Golden Dragon is the most expensive tea at Teavana, so naturally I decided to try an ounce for one of my Starbucks rewards! At $30 for 2 ounces, my reward was valued at $15! I’d thought that I was making the most of my reward when I requested an ounce of gyokuro a while back, but little did I know that there was a tea from China even more expensive than Japan’s claim to tea fame!

Yellow dragon is good, no doubt. The leaves are multicolored, long, spindly and basically beautiful. They also have a scent about halfway between vegetables and baked bread. Once infused, the leaves have a very strong cooked vegetable scent and even reminded me of the scent of the Coors Beer Company, in Golden, Colorado. I used to go on long bike rides past the factory and was always struck by the scent of overcooked green beans (it was really the barley somehow, it seems…)

The liquor is peach veering brown, and the taste is very good indeed. I’m not convinced that this is twice or three times as good as some of the heartier green teas I’ve tried, which also boast a succulent quality. However, I’m a yellow tea gringo. I’ll try the Tazo Collection offering soon and see whether I can figure out what it is about yellow tea specifically that is supposed to make it so much more special than the robust China green teas I’ve enjoyed of late.

I realize that this tea is more difficult to prepare, as the leaves are allowed to wither slowly and turn yellow before they dry. But if that does not translate into a huge improvement in flavor, then what’s the point? Again, I’m a yellow tea gringo… I also don’t understand the people who eat cheese with maggots crawling out of it—but hey, that’s okay.

A chacun son goût!

(Blazing New Rating #53)

Flavors: Vegetables

170 °F / 76 °C 2 min, 15 sec 4 g 17 OZ / 502 ML
TheTeaFairy

Yep, à chacun son goût is right…But I personally think that eating maggots is madness even if they are very high in protein!! (Reading this post might have ruined any possible further dégustation de fromage for me, lol!)

sherapop

It’s funny, isn’t it, The Tea Fairy, how we abhor moldy cheese if it’s not supposed to be moldy, but then people go crazy over Gorgonzola, etc.! ;-)

The first yellow tea I’ve tried and I loved it. When I was in the store, the manager and barista were testing an interesting theory: The 1st steep and the 7th steep are the best; everything else tastes horrible.
I decided to partake in this research. I tried the 1st steep (gorgeous!), the 5th steep (bitter and not something I enjoyed at all), and the 7th steep… perhaps even better than the first! Not sure why someone would continue to resteep a tea that didn’t resteep well, but the 7th steep really was excellent.
As far as the tea goes, I’m glad I bought some.

I am ordinarily a black tea purist. Sometimes I moonlight with oolongs, but as a rule anything lighter isn’t to my liking. I also drink tea like a Brit, tending to loads of sugar and cream.

This is the first tea that I have had where I didn’t need the cream and still enjoyed it.

I’d heard/read about the ‘buttery’ nature of this tea and wasn’t sure I wanted to know what that might entail…tea and butter together in the same sentence didn’t sound appealing in the slightest. Once brewed, however, I understood it’s more a matter of texture and silkiness than taste. The flavor is pleasantly herbal with a wonderful honey note that halved! my usual sugar requirement. This is my new favorite and is the first tea that has inspired me to actually invest in a Yixing kettle.

Flavors: Herbaceous, Honey

This is one of my favorite teas. I bought it because my oldest son and I share a love of fine teas and he requested it so I surprised him with a pot of it for our weekly tea time one evening. We both fell in love. We drink this tea without adding anything.

Flavors: Butter, Honey

JustJames

our youngest always gets into my tea, lol.

Skye Comstock

I can’t get my youngest ones(4 year old twins) to like any of it-though I keep trying. :)

JustJames

if you like teavana maybe try the coco caramel sea salt blend? our kids love it (even though they’re older) and it’s caffeine free so bedtime isn’t hampered!! lol.

Skye Comstock

I actually have some of that. Never tried giving it to the kids. Maybe that would be a good after dinner “treat” for them. I’ll try it. :)

Tried it for the first time today, gong fu style. Used about 2 table spoons of tea for ~100ml of water and 80-87 Celsius water. I think I might have used too much tea or steeped it for too much (although I barely steeped it longer than 10s), but I didn’t manage to get a non-bitter brewing. However, the bitterness was not so bad and even enjoyable, not like when you oversteep a green tea. The smell was just immensely sweet and definitely not grassy. The aftertaste is dense and pleasantly bitter as well. Finally, a good thing about this tea is that I managed to get a lot of infusions with it.

I will try brewing it with less tea and colder water next time.