Golden Dragon Yellow Tea

Yellow Tea
Yellow Tea Leaves
Honey, Mineral, Round , Tannin, Butter, Earth, Metallic, Floral, Vanilla, Wheat, Smoke, Sweet, Vegetal, Malt, Smooth, Grass, Vegetables, Herbaceous
Medium
Fair Trade, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaHeez

From Teavana

We are proud to offer one of the rarest teas in the world; our limited edition yellow tea direct from China. The name ‘yellow’ tea refers not only to the unique processing and the lovely, bright golden infusion color, but due to its rarity it is also associated with the imperial yellow worn exclusively by emperors for centuries. Unlike any tea you have tasted before, at first sip it evokes the exquisite pleasure of everyday luxuries. Captivating high floral notes mingle with a smooth honeyed body and a subtle creamy, buttery finish. A perfectly balanced tea curated just for you.

High floral top note with smooth, mellow body with a subtle buttery finish

About Teavana View company

1/20/14 Midday tea. 3g/6oz/175F First steep – 2 minutes. Very much the same tea as the pot tasting. 2nd steep – 2 minutes. The aroma and color in cup are lighter, but the flavor is still bright. A touch more astringent. The tastes don’t hang on the palate as long. 3rd steep – 3 minutes. This infusion is less golden in the cup, more a ‘summers first green is gold’ shade. The aroma is more vegetal and astringent. The taste has smoothed out and lightened a lot. This might be the last steep the leaves can support. 4th steep – 3min30sec. Both the tea aroma and color are very light now. The brew feels much lighter on the tongue, and the primary taste is a light astringent tone. I’m not going to try for a 5th steep.

A nice progression all in all.

175 °F / 79 °C
Christopher F.

I’ve yet to try it brewed this way, but I plan to tonight. Thank you for the insight and I hope my findings are as good as yours.

Vidalia

Can someone please tell me about the caffeine effect. Teavana states it’s caffeine free. Thanks.

I’m baccck! Sorry it’s been so long, but I’ve been super busy.

Stopped into a Teavana with friends the other night and they were offering this one up as a sample. To me it didn’t seem much different from some really nice Yunnan teas I’ve tried before. I found it to be rather malty with a touch of honey. Sure it was nice, but I didn’t find it to be as special as they were claiming it to be.

I certainly wasn’t going to shell out nearly $30 to take some home with me.

Honestly, I love this tea; I bought 6oz of it. I miss the 90 bucks it all cost, but this tea is just great!
If anyone can recommend a similar tea that is less expensive, I’d be forever in your debt.

~1tsp in yixing pot,
1-2 steeps 15seconds with 175F
Colour is light golden.
Aroma is of mild honey, floral and sweet.
Taste is much of the same with a smooth buttery finish, that doesn’t stick around too long.
3-4 Steeps 20 seconds 180F
Colour is more of a yellow/green, still pleasing.
Aroma has settled on the floral notes and less on the honey.
Taste is much lighter, more delicate, but less complex.
5th steep 25 seconds 180F
Colour is now like a clear yellow.
Aroma still hits with the floral, but significantly less “umph” to it.
Taste has mellowed out and the buttery finish is almost gone.

I’ll keep steeping with 30sec times until I get clear water out of the leaves. I really enjoyed this one. The spent leaves are also very attractive on the bottom of the yixing pot.

AnnaEA

Nice to see a brewing note for a gongfu style brewing of this tea – I thought it would lend itself to it nicely! Thank you for sharing.

Christopher F.

You’re welcome. It really was worth brewing to this way. I think I had 8-9 steeps total before it just tasted like hot water.

Sha9on

FYI Teavana has an AWESOME sale! I just got this in the store for 78% off! You might want to check your store! It is only 50% online.

kjamin

on sale now $7.00

Christopher F.

@kjamin thanks for the heads up, stocked up with a pound for the year. Great deal.

Just had a cup of this tea in my gaiwan which I received from Anna as a sample. thank you very much Anna. A good cup of tea. A very gold color in my gaiwan which looks nice. The aroma is very strong vegetal smell. The taste is smooth and mellow. It does not lingerin the mouth too long. Overall a good cup of tea.

Steven Cook

This is one of my favorite teas on the wall, little pricey though.

Day 4 of Lion’s Week of Tea challenge
Wednesday | Yellow tea

So I just picked this up the other day. as a free Starbucks reward. Since Teavana os owned by Starbucks, you can get loose tea/a free cup from there instead of a free Starbuck’s coffee. Anyway, I got 28g of Golden Dragon, my second yellow tea. I really like yellow teas, they offer many of the nice parts of green teas but without the grassy/stem flavours and no astringency or bitterness. I’m really liking this yellow tea streak I’m on.

This is a bit less toasty than my other yellow tea (“Yellow Sun” from What-Cha), I actually found it to be a bit like a black tea in that it has a strong and complex flavour with lots of tannins (but not in a bitter or overpowering way). I appreciate the tannins and flavour without the unpleasantness often associated.

There is a bit of a “mineral” taste, but not any specific metals. I do not find it overpowering or distasteful at all.

You can steep this several times, I would say probably 3 small teapots/large mugs.

Flavors: Honey, Mineral, Round , Tannin

I’m not sure what I was expecting, but this tea was amazing and stands up well to multiple steeps. After the 4th or 5th I increased the temperature to 205°F for an additional steeping or two. If I can catch this tea on sale I’m going to load up big time.

This is one of my favourite teas. Its too bad that its seasonally available. I got it on sale and stocked up. This is my “study tea”; I put a whole pot on and sit for hours reading my textbooks and drinking this.
The taste is smooth and vegetal, with some metallic notes. You can resteep it, I resteep mine three or four times times usually over the course of the day. the metallic taste fades with steeping. Buttery/creamy texture in your mouth increases with steeping.
Also, this tea seems to blend very well with dessert-y teas. Its an expensive tea to blend, but it does seem to enhance the flavor of any herbal tea I have blended it with so far.

Flavors: Butter, Earth, Honey, Metallic

(HOT) Back again on Golden Dragon. Decided to pull this one out again from my shelf after a long hectic day. Trying to be awake for the next few hours without being jittery and a nice floral sweet tea is just what I need. Perfect tea for relaxing on the couch, must be sipped to be appreciated. I think I like this tea more the second time around. added white honey and german rock sugar from teavana.

Flavors: Floral, Honey, Vanilla, Wheat

yellow is mellow the aroma is sweet and its the best of all the teas

A pleasant tea, way overpriced for what it is (but I got it as a free sample ;). Super smooth feel, surprised by the buttery flavor/feel – I didn’t believe them when they said that in the store lol. Was surprised by the smoothness. Also a decently honey-sweet finish to it. I will have to try out some other yellow teas sometime in the future. Resteepable at least 4 times Western Style, so that’s decently impressive.

Flavors: Butter, Honey