Golden Dragon Yellow Tea

Yellow Tea
Yellow Tea Leaves
Floral, Honey, Malt, Butter, Smooth, Grass, Vegetal, Earth, Vegetables, Herbaceous, Mineral
Medium
Fair Trade, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaHeez

From Teavana

We are proud to offer one of the rarest teas in the world; our limited edition yellow tea direct from China. The name ‘yellow’ tea refers not only to the unique processing and the lovely, bright golden infusion color, but due to its rarity it is also associated with the imperial yellow worn exclusively by emperors for centuries. Unlike any tea you have tasted before, at first sip it evokes the exquisite pleasure of everyday luxuries. Captivating high floral notes mingle with a smooth honeyed body and a subtle creamy, buttery finish. A perfectly balanced tea curated just for you.

High floral top note with smooth, mellow body with a subtle buttery finish

About Teavana View company

1/20/14 Midday tea. 3g/6oz/175F First steep – 2 minutes. Very much the same tea as the pot tasting. 2nd steep – 2 minutes. The aroma and color in cup are lighter, but the flavor is still bright. A touch more astringent. The tastes don’t hang on the palate as long. 3rd steep – 3 minutes. This infusion is less golden in the cup, more a ‘summers first green is gold’ shade. The aroma is more vegetal and astringent. The taste has smoothed out and lightened a lot. This might be the last steep the leaves can support. 4th steep – 3min30sec. Both the tea aroma and color are very light now. The brew feels much lighter on the tongue, and the primary taste is a light astringent tone. I’m not going to try for a 5th steep.

A nice progression all in all.

175 °F / 79 °C
Christopher F.

I’ve yet to try it brewed this way, but I plan to tonight. Thank you for the insight and I hope my findings are as good as yours.

I’m baccck! Sorry it’s been so long, but I’ve been super busy.

Stopped into a Teavana with friends the other night and they were offering this one up as a sample. To me it didn’t seem much different from some really nice Yunnan teas I’ve tried before. I found it to be rather malty with a touch of honey. Sure it was nice, but I didn’t find it to be as special as they were claiming it to be.

I certainly wasn’t going to shell out nearly $30 to take some home with me.

Honestly, I love this tea; I bought 6oz of it. I miss the 90 bucks it all cost, but this tea is just great!
If anyone can recommend a similar tea that is less expensive, I’d be forever in your debt.

~1tsp in yixing pot,
1-2 steeps 15seconds with 175F
Colour is light golden.
Aroma is of mild honey, floral and sweet.
Taste is much of the same with a smooth buttery finish, that doesn’t stick around too long.
3-4 Steeps 20 seconds 180F
Colour is more of a yellow/green, still pleasing.
Aroma has settled on the floral notes and less on the honey.
Taste is much lighter, more delicate, but less complex.
5th steep 25 seconds 180F
Colour is now like a clear yellow.
Aroma still hits with the floral, but significantly less “umph” to it.
Taste has mellowed out and the buttery finish is almost gone.

I’ll keep steeping with 30sec times until I get clear water out of the leaves. I really enjoyed this one. The spent leaves are also very attractive on the bottom of the yixing pot.

AnnaEA

Nice to see a brewing note for a gongfu style brewing of this tea – I thought it would lend itself to it nicely! Thank you for sharing.

Christopher F.

You’re welcome. It really was worth brewing to this way. I think I had 8-9 steeps total before it just tasted like hot water.

Sha9on

FYI Teavana has an AWESOME sale! I just got this in the store for 78% off! You might want to check your store! It is only 50% online.

Just had a cup of this tea in my gaiwan which I received from Anna as a sample. thank you very much Anna. A good cup of tea. A very gold color in my gaiwan which looks nice. The aroma is very strong vegetal smell. The taste is smooth and mellow. It does not lingerin the mouth too long. Overall a good cup of tea.

Steven Cook

This is one of my favorite teas on the wall, little pricey though.

Haven’t drank any yellow teas before, but since they had a sale of 50% off on this tea and I read such great reviews I thought I would try it.
This tea is supposedly Teavanas most expensive tea. Well I gotta say it is my favorite tea from Teavana!! This tea is mellow, smooth, delicious. I love it! I wish I could afford to drink it all the time but I definitely will check for sales and pick it up when ever I can!

2 min, 45 sec 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

I had a free reward on my Starbucks card and decided to redeem it for a free ounce of Yellow Dragon. I’ve been curious about this one for a while, since it’s the most expensive tea that Teavana offers and also because I’ve never had a yellow tea before. Honestly, I’m not quite sure what defines a yellow tea, but this one reminded me of a mild green tea. The flavor was mainly honey, with a bit of floral and just a touch of malt in the aftertaste. Quite delicious! I will have no problem finishing what I have and I would be curious to try other yellow teas. Anyone have recommendations?

Flavors: Floral, Honey, Malt

Anlina

I haven’t had it in quite a while, but I liked this one enough to reorder it: http://what-cha.com/yellow-tea/darjeeling-2nd-flush-2014-jungpana-av2-yellow-tea/

Inkling

Thanks for the tip!

Second steep: same leaves, same temperature, same amount of time.

The taste is definitely grassier this time around, and reminds me more of a lighter green tea. The smooth, buttery finish is still there, but the taste overall is more crisp than on the first steep. This is the first tea in which I’ve experienced such a notable difference between the first and second steep. I’ll probably give it a third steep just out of curiosity. I wonder if the taste will soften at all.

Flavors: Butter, Floral, Grass, Smooth, Vegetal

2 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
LiberTEAS

So Teavana carries a yellow tea? I cringe at the thought of what they’re charging for it.

M

Oh goodness, it’s outrageous. Around $30 for 50g or 2 oz. I would never pay that much for it, but it is a great tea.

gschuschke

They just had a sale with this tea 50% off. I ordered some and can hardly wait to try it!!!

M

I think it’s definitely worth a try. I quite enjoyed it.

The tea was very flavorful. It was my first yellow Tea I have ever tried. I followed the brewing suggestions on this site. The flavor is so unique I cannot place it by comparing it to green or black tea. This tea is in its own league and I would recommend it to anyone for a different experience of tea. I was able to get three infusions from the amount of tea I used. On a sidenote I had to use a tablespoon to measure out the tea due to the length of the leaves.

I’d just want to wish everyone here a very Happy New Year!!

I know I don’t post on so much anymore, but that’s because Disney has ended :( Well, College Program, that is! I had my last day as a CP yesterday, and Sunday will be my first day as a part time cast member :) Nothing too special, I’m still at Disney! hehe :) The main difference is the fact that I get like no hours, which is good because I have to focus on school this quarter. Ahh too many things going on right now!

But yeah. THIS TEA.
Well, first off, I freakin love my DAVIDsTEA Steeper like IT’S SO EASY TO USE AND CLEAN UP IS FAB. I might have to do a separate review on that.
But I got this tea like last week as a part of my Starbucks reward and the people were just staring at me. I asked if I could get an oz of this tea and they were trying to get me to purchase other teas or purchase it in a tin or whatever and I’m all naww, I just want the tea please! Did you want to purchase a tea to drink on your way out? Naww just the tea please

I’m freakin lost without my tea scale so my proportions might’ve been a bit off, but this tea ended up a bit bitter in the beginning. And then after a couple sips, it started to mellow out a bit :) It’s really good! $15 an ounce, and a minimum 2oz for a purchase is a bit steep for me (ha. get it?), but this works for the rewards and rewards I shall use!

Thank you Starbucks for all these extra perks. I reach my rewards constantly because of the Starbucks backstage. And because of that, free teeeeeaaaa!!!

Jennkay

Haha, I also take full advantage of Starbucks rewards at Teavana

jump62359

Everything is better when it’s free ehehe :))

Pro-tip on this tea: it’s ridiculous at $30 for two ounces. It also qualifies just fine for your free ounce of loose leaf tea if you have a Starbucks reward.

I went in with a reward and I said, I have no idea what I want. The salesperson grabs this and says, if you’re going to use a reward, then GO ALL OUT!

It’s a very interesting tea. I think this the only method I would use to get some to drink because the price is still waaaaaaaay too steep. Obviously, since it is Teavana.

My favorite thing is earlier this week I accidentally oversteeped it. It wasn’t bad. It tasted more like a malty black tea then.

When you steep it right though, it’s so smooth and buttery. It’s funny that it tastes like black tea if you oversteep it because it’s just normally a very mellow tea. I mostly taste honey from it, the floral notes they say there are I don’t get.

I’ve not had the opportunity to try resteeping it but I will probably bring it home from work at some point this week so I can do that.

Also it’s incredible how big the twists of leaves are in here. I have to pick out the tea with my fingers and guess for measurements because I don’t want to break them! They’re absolutely gorgeous.

Ost

Hahaha “GO ALL OUT”! That’s funny :P And totally the right way to do it! That’s what I did with my davidstea points, got one of the most expensive teas :P