Fengqing Ripened Tribute Pu-erh Cake Tea 2013

Pu-erh Tea
Pu Erh Tea
Bitter, Earth, Roasted, Rose, Smoked, Umami, Leather, Musty, Dates, Floral, Smooth, Tobacco, Chocolate, Wet Earth, Salty, Smoke, Sweet, Wood, Honey, Loam, Orchids
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre
Boiling 1 min, 45 sec 9 g 10 oz / 290 ml

• Tea provided by Teavivre for review This is the final sample out of five I was given recently to try. Like with the other ripe puerh sample, I decided to short steep this 10 times as...” Read full tasting note
    DMTea 327 tasting notes
  • “I’m itching to sample another Pu-erh tea. Thanks to Angel, that itch will be scratched this morning! I cut open the silver sample package and snorted deeply. The familiar earthy smell was...” Read full tasting note
    Stoo 168 tasting notes
  • “This is another sample from Teavivre – a bit of a puerh tour, how fun is that! Want to start by saying that I am going to have to try short-steeping this next time because it appears my...” Read full tasting note
    Jude 122 tasting notes
  • “Thank you to Angel at TeaVivre for this sample! Let me preface this note by saying that I am a newbie to pu-erh teas. I have only tried a few before this one! Dry: This came from a cake, but was...” Read full tasting note
    Nightshifter 251 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Fengqing, Lincang, Yunnan, China

Ingredients: Made from 100% pure leaves from 50 to 100 years old Large-leaf Arbor Tea Trees

Harvest time: Leaves Hand-picked between March and May in 2006.

Taste: Mellow earthy sweet taste with flowery flavor

This Ripe Pu-erh Cake Teavivre choose is from the representative Pu-erh production area Fengqing. Fengqing is the original place of the world-wide famous Dian Hong Tea. And it is also a classic place of Yunnan Pu-erh. It is a place in Lingcang which is one of the four famous Pu-erh production areas. The taste of Fengqing Pu-erh is mellow and sweet, deeper than Pu-erh in other production area. And it usually has the flowery flavor of Dian Hong Tea.

About Teavivre View company

Tea provided by Teavivre for review

This is the final sample out of five I was given recently to try. Like with the other ripe puerh sample, I decided to short steep this 10 times as suggested on Teavivre’s website.

In comparison with the Menghai Palace Ripened Pu-erh Cake Tea 2008 that I tried last time, the first steep of this tea is actually quite different. It’s less earthy, more roasted/smoky and has a nice floral (rose) flavour.

Much of the sample had unraveled by the second steep, but it didn’t become overly bold or earthy. There was a nice bitterness and umami flavour that consisted through the ten steeps. I didn’t expect to like the bitterness, but it actually paired well with the earthy and umami. Towards the last couple of steeps, I mostly tasted tasted the bitterness, floral and roasted flavours.

Overall this sample impressed me a lot more than the other ripe puerh one. And out of all the riped puerh sold by Teavivre, this would be one of my favourite alongside their Aged Chenpi Ripened Tangerine Pu-erh 2009 (which I’ve yet to review, oops!). Even though there is a bitterness to the tea, it is palatable and enjoyable. I quite liked the characteristics of this tea, because most of the riped puerh I have tried are very samey and this one is more memorable.
That being said, this type of tea is an acquired taste. If you’re interested in trying ripened puerh, this is certainly one of the more interesting ones you can sample from Teavivre.

Flavors: Bitter, Earth, Roasted, Rose, Smoked, Umami

Boiling 9 g 3 OZ / 75 ML

I cut open the silver sample package and snorted deeply. The familiar earthy smell was present but there was also a musty attribute to it. It reminded me of when I open a drawer filled with old clothes.

I don’t know if it’s old age catching up to me but I am finding it increasingly more difficult to read the tiny directions on Teavivre’s sample packaging. I couldn’t quite make out the recommended steeping time so I brewed the dark brown matted and clumped leaves and “cake” for three minutes at 212 degrees.

The brewed color was a dark brownish amber, like maple syrup. The aroma was earthy and leathery, what I expected from a Pu-erh tea. The musty attribute had disappeared from the smell.

I didn’t find the flavor as robust as some of the other Pu-erh teas that I have sampled recently. I wondered if this was a result of the shorter steeping time, the more recent processing time, or a combination of both.

In any event, the flavor was mostly smooth and unmistakably Pu-erh. As I slurped more and more from my cup, the attribute that I had earlier tagged as musty in the unbrewed odor began to creep into the flavor. This peculiarity lingered on my taste buds as a slightly bitter note. The quirk didn’t ruin my experience with the tea but it wasn’t something that I cherished either. After almost a full cup of the brew, my brain (and buds) seemed to learn how to push most of the musty trait aside.

I can’t deny that I would have been more enthusiastic about this tea without the flavor foible. I also would have appreciated a richer and more powerful Pu-erh taste. However, that being said, this is still a decent Pu-erh offering from Teavivre.

Flavors: Earth, Leather, Musty

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

This is another sample from Teavivre – a bit of a puerh tour, how fun is that! Want to start by saying that I am going to have to try short-steeping this next time because it appears my fellow Steeps are appreciating this more than I am; I did like it, though. Did a 10s rinse then 4x 2-3 minute steepings. I kept waiting for the creaminess and other high points to appear, no luck.

All the steepings had earth and just the barest sweetness, with a bit of astringency in the aftertaste. 1st and 2nd steeps had tobacco, 2nd had mushroom with a whisper of chocolate (my favorite steeping), 3rd had damp earth and wood smoke, 4th back to a bit of mushroom and what I could almost but not quite call floral that’s in the tea’s description.

Wondering if it’s my method or my taste buds…

Thank you to Angel at TeaVivre for this sample!

Dry: This came from a cake, but was mostly already broken up into smaller pieces. There were a few larger chunks that I reduced a bit before brewing. The black dry leaf is tightly packed, glossy, and bright. The smell from the sample pack is earthy at first, but reminds me of leather from my saddle after I take a second sniff, with a hint of a thick sweetness at the edges, like molasses.

Steeped: I wanted to brew this with the Western method, since that is what I most often use. When I brewed my last pu-erh and used Gongfu style, I awakened the leaves. I wasn’t sure if you still do this when brewing Western, but I went ahead and did a quick rinse before I fully infused. The leaves immediately started releasing their tannins and the fragrance intensified to sweet, warm dates. After steeping, the tea is a deep rich brown liquor and the aroma is even more potent.

Taste: My first sip reminded me of quality black coffee, but not because of the flavor. I drank coffee for years before I switched to tea and the texture and the hint of bitter/earthiness at the end of each sip is what awakens the memory. The taste itself is overall sweet with notes of worn leather, earth, dates, and even a hint of floral and tobacco. It is not a simple tea, though it does have that same smooth/serene nature as the Superfine Tan Yang Gong Fu from earlier (with an entirely different profile otherwise).

I brewed this with bottled Spring water and it resteeped wonderfully so far with the flavor remaining fully intact after 3 in a row. I can see it is good to go for at least a few more. While I am very thankful I was able to try it, I tend to avoid teas with notes of tobacco, earth, etc. I am giving it a high rating though because I try not to rate teas based on whether they match my taste buds, but rather that it was exactly as described on the TeaVivre website. I know there are others that would love this with the deep complexity released from the aged leaves. Hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend! :)

Flavors: Dates, Earth, Floral, Leather, Smooth, Tobacco

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 10 g 17 OZ / 502 ML
ashmanra

I ordered this because the sample was so good that we all nommed our cups, and it should be here this week! YAY!

Nightshifter

They ship so fast! I couldn’t believe this had arrived already when I went to the mailbox. Hope yours is in your mailbox tomorrow. :)

1987 tasting notes

My daughters have landed in Toronto and will be attending the Tea Festival on Saturday. Youngest and I were drinking this before they left and I am still drinking it tonight, and it seems so strange to me that they are so quickly so far away!

This is the last of my sample, and it has been a real trial knowing that my tea is in town but didn’t get here in time for today’s mail truck, so I will be out of this tea for twelve hours. TWELVE HOURS. First world problems, lol!

This has an amazingly sweet edge that woos everyone who tries it. I teach voice to four quadruplet siblings, two at a time. They just started this week. Two of them tried this tea today and they have never had any “exotic” teas before. They liked it, and are eager to try more teas.

I will be glad to see the postman tomorrow!

Tealizzy

So jealous of your daughters! I hope they have a great time!

Fjellrev

Niiiice! I hope they enjoy it.

Kittenna; Cavocorax and myself will be there first thing in the morning. I also think Indigobloom will be working the festival and we’re trying to convince Variatea to come too!

ashmanra

I hope you all run into each other! Anna (Superanna on here) is about 5’2", skinny, with long blonde hair, and looks about 15. Her little sister is 5’7", long brown hair, and sooooper skinny. I will tell them to look for a crowd of tea fanatics who look like they might be looking for them! LOL They have instructions to look for interesting little cups, good Da Hong Pao, and good puerh! :)

Christina

I’ll be there on Saturday afternoon with some friends. Just wish I had a funny hat or scarf or something to wear so that some on here could recognize me!

looseTman

Scribbles may also be at the TTF.

i am more than happy to walk around with a giant sign over my head that says “if this sign makes sense then it is i you are looking for…” or maybe just carry around a rubber chicken… or… man the possibilities are endless because I am happy to make a fool of myself!

ashmanra

Youngest would totally love the chicken or the sign.mmshe enjoys being…unpredictable…in public. LOL! They will be wearing matching Abercrombie coats, one gray and one black coat, and they will keep an eye out for you. They will be there Saturday!

ashmanra

By the way, the one who looks 15 is 26, youngest is 17 but they will look about the same age. Youngest may look older of the two to you! And eldest has a wee high voice. What were the bulk bin cookies you guys were talking about not long ago? I thought someone said Van Doorts or something but I can’t find any info on them.

bulk bin cookies? lol wasnt me!

Thank you Teavivre for the free sample!

160ml yixing pot filled about half way (80-90ml)
7g of leaves
212F
4 infusions: 5s rinse, 5s rinse, 5s, 10s, 20s, 30s

It’s a rich, creamy shou. Earthy and a little chocolaty too. It starts off light and sweet and the more you brew it the richer it gets. I only did 4 infusions but it has a lot of life left in it that I’m using to raise the pot. Definitely a candidate for purchase. :)

Flavors: Chocolate, Wet Earth

Boiling 7 g 3 OZ / 80 ML

Thank you, Angel, for providing me samples!

Gongfu method with a ceramic gaiwan. 10 second rinse. Steeping times: 10, 5, 10, 5, 15, 20, 30, 60, 90, 120.

The dry leaf has an aroma of earth and old leather. The wet aroma evolves after the rinse and first couple infusions – sugarcane, leather, bread, pipe tobacco – and remains sweet and earthy thereafter.

Throughout the session, the liquor is full-bodied, sweet, and soft. Early and late infusions have rusty, brick-like color, whereas those in between are darker, resembling coffee. The first infusion has a thin texture and notes of leather and tart plums. Second introduces wood of trees that are neither young nor old. Aftertaste of black coffee, which is present in the third infusion and only partially in the evergreen-like fourth. The fifth infusion tastes like leather bound books. Up to this point, the texture has been thin. The sixth infusion is notably thicker. Creamy, sweet and sugary as well – the climax of the session. The intensity now decreases. The seventh and eighths infusions have a thinner texture and loam, wood, and chocolate notes. Lastly, the ninth and tenth infusions – combined – taste of burned wood, fried potatoes, BBQ ribs, and salt. with a smoky aftertaste. A thick texture returns.

The tartness early on was not to my taste, but I like how this shou evolved. Great finish. Interesting how the texture wasn’t consistent.

10 g 4 OZ / 118 ML
Cwyn

Only a year old, likely needs some more aging to get the wo dui out, and also the sour can mean the aging was interrupted and the tea dried out in the midst of it. I’d give it a shot of humidity and let it rest awhile in a good clay or stoneware container.

KiwiDelight

I figured it had to do with being so young. I don’t have either of those containers, just tins.

I’ve had this a few times now, and I like it more and more every time. It has a thick, almost creamy mouthfeel, scents and tastes of aged leather, pipe tobacco and woodsmoke, and a salty-sweet aftertaste.

This afternoon, I’m steeping it in a gaiwan with about 100ml boiling water for 10-40s a time, and for me that brings out its best – not too strong but with all its aromas and tastes intact.

I’ll definitely be buying a cake of this for my winter stock-up.

Flavors: Leather, Salty, Smoke, Sweet, Wet Earth, Wood

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Thanks again for the samples, Teavivre! Always appreciated! I’m always willing to try another ripened pu-erh, especially from Teavivre. They would definitely be my source for pu-erh.

Steep #1 // 8 minutes after boiling // 1 1/2 minute steep after a rinse
I used an entire sample package of leaves. I’m not sure if I’m supposed to. The steep parameters say 10 grams, the sample size for sale on the site says 10 grams, but that could be for the 17 ounces they mention and not my 10 ounce mug. It looks like plenty of leaves: two big pieces and then some loose in the package. The cup doesn’t taste overdone anyway! The dry leaves look like a Yunnan with hints of yellow leaves in this pu-erh cake… that’s because it is a Yunnan. The flavor is nice, but probably not my favorite pu-erh from Teavivre. This deep red cup has a HINT of cedar flavor, even though I usually expect that from the raw pu-erhs. It’s very sweet though! But it’s still better than raw pu-erh in my opinion. It’s tough to explain what a pu-erh tastes like!

Steep #2 // 3 minutes after boiling // 2 min steep
This cup is much darker – it has lost the red color of the cup because it’s almost black. The flavor is the same, yet deeper as the leaves unravel. I really love Teavivre’s ‘Fengqing Zhuan Cha Ripened Pu-erh Brick Tea 2006’ and I’m considering buying a brick with my eventual next order. I can’t really remember why I liked that one SLIGHTLY more… but I don’t think it has that cedar flavor at all.

Steep #3 // just boiled // 3 min
Just like the second steep! The more I drink pu-erh (even three big mugs in a day) the more I WANT to drink in the same day! Such a value with pu-erh leaves too… since I never get that “oversteeped” flavor with them… the third cup it’s just getting more delicious. I love pu-erh because it has the ability to be super dark and robust yet still have a mellowness to it, that doesn’t seem to ever get astringent. It’s a nice change from black teas. I’m not sure why so many people are scared of pu-erh: they deserve a chance.. give at least one ripened and one raw pu-erh a try… Teavivre is the perfect place to start sampling them.

The Leaf: densely compressed with marbled black, dark brown, and light brown leaves. All leaves are somewhat similar in size and well degraded. The scent is light but earthy like potting soil, but not musty.

The Brew: The color is ruby red to brown in hue, but crystal clear with no murkiness. The scent is light but the same as the leaf, earthy and rich. The flavor is medium strength, but clean leaving only a slight dryness on the tongue. Most of the flavor is felt on the back of the tongue, earthy, dark, soil-like with a slight bitterness and a slight sourness on the sides of the tongue.

I drink all of my teas cold.

Flavors: Earth