Fengqing Ripened Tribute Pu-erh Cake Tea 2013

Pu-erh Tea
Pu Erh Tea
Earth, Honey, Leather, Wood, Loam, Orchids
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “Thanks again for the samples, Teavivre! Always appreciated! I'm always willing to try another ripened pu-erh, especially from Teavivre. They would definitely be my source for pu-erh. Steep #1...” Read full tasting note
    Tea Sipper 1283 tasting notes
  • “The Leaf: densely compressed with marbled black, dark brown, and light brown leaves. All leaves are somewhat similar in size and well degraded. The scent is light but earthy like potting soil,...” Read full tasting note
    Ukato 21 tasting notes
  • “I started today by giving the screen in my press a thorough scrubbing. I didn't realize how long I had let it go. It could use an overnight soak to get the rest of the stains out but it will do as...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1249 tasting notes
  • “Yep, definitely been struck down by one of Apollo's plague arrows, not sure if this is just the worst cold ever or the flu, but I am stuck in bed with an all cold liquid diet. I guess it is really...” Read full tasting note
    SoggyEnderman 296 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Fengqing, Lincang, Yunnan, China

Ingredients: Made from 100% pure leaves from 50 to 100 years old Large-leaf Arbor Tea Trees

Harvest time: Leaves Hand-picked between March and May in 2006.

Taste: Mellow earthy sweet taste with flowery flavor

This Ripe Pu-erh Cake Teavivre choose is from the representative Pu-erh production area Fengqing. Fengqing is the original place of the world-wide famous Dian Hong Tea. And it is also a classic place of Yunnan Pu-erh. It is a place in Lingcang which is one of the four famous Pu-erh production areas. The taste of Fengqing Pu-erh is mellow and sweet, deeper than Pu-erh in other production area. And it usually has the flowery flavor of Dian Hong Tea.

About Teavivre View company

Thanks again for the samples, Teavivre! Always appreciated! I’m always willing to try another ripened pu-erh, especially from Teavivre. They would definitely be my source for pu-erh.

Steep #1 // 8 minutes after boiling // 1 1/2 minute steep after a rinse
I used an entire sample package of leaves. I’m not sure if I’m supposed to. The steep parameters say 10 grams, the sample size for sale on the site says 10 grams, but that could be for the 17 ounces they mention and not my 10 ounce mug. It looks like plenty of leaves: two big pieces and then some loose in the package. The cup doesn’t taste overdone anyway! The dry leaves look like a Yunnan with hints of yellow leaves in this pu-erh cake… that’s because it is a Yunnan. The flavor is nice, but probably not my favorite pu-erh from Teavivre. This deep red cup has a HINT of cedar flavor, even though I usually expect that from the raw pu-erhs. It’s very sweet though! But it’s still better than raw pu-erh in my opinion. It’s tough to explain what a pu-erh tastes like!

Steep #2 // 3 minutes after boiling // 2 min steep
This cup is much darker – it has lost the red color of the cup because it’s almost black. The flavor is the same, yet deeper as the leaves unravel. I really love Teavivre’s ‘Fengqing Zhuan Cha Ripened Pu-erh Brick Tea 2006’ and I’m considering buying a brick with my eventual next order. I can’t really remember why I liked that one SLIGHTLY more… but I don’t think it has that cedar flavor at all.

Steep #3 // just boiled // 3 min
Just like the second steep! The more I drink pu-erh (even three big mugs in a day) the more I WANT to drink in the same day! Such a value with pu-erh leaves too… since I never get that “oversteeped” flavor with them… the third cup it’s just getting more delicious. I love pu-erh because it has the ability to be super dark and robust yet still have a mellowness to it, that doesn’t seem to ever get astringent. It’s a nice change from black teas. I’m not sure why so many people are scared of pu-erh: they deserve a chance.. give at least one ripened and one raw pu-erh a try… Teavivre is the perfect place to start sampling them.

The Leaf: densely compressed with marbled black, dark brown, and light brown leaves. All leaves are somewhat similar in size and well degraded. The scent is light but earthy like potting soil, but not musty.

The Brew: The color is ruby red to brown in hue, but crystal clear with no murkiness. The scent is light but the same as the leaf, earthy and rich. The flavor is medium strength, but clean leaving only a slight dryness on the tongue. Most of the flavor is felt on the back of the tongue, earthy, dark, soil-like with a slight bitterness and a slight sourness on the sides of the tongue.

I drink all of my teas cold.

Flavors: Earth

195 °F / 90 °C 2 min, 0 sec 10 g 17 OZ / 500 ML

I started today by giving the screen in my press a thorough scrubbing. I didn’t realize how long I had let it go. It could use an overnight soak to get the rest of the stains out but it will do as is for now. Heated extra water for a bowl of brown rice. Ended up with about 16 oz water left for the press. I used yesterday’s leaf. Steeped 15 seconds – not 4 minutes like yesterday. I filled two cups and based on the strength of the tea this will go more, maybe many more. I had 24 oz yesterday. The brew was beautiful burgundy colored. There are no rough edges in this cup. It is leather and honey, along with what I am still calling wood although who ever updated the product info (Teavivre?) called it loam and orchids. While the leaf in the press has a barnyard scent, there is nothing even close to that in the cup. When you pay attention to what you are doing this is really good. Now I feel comfortable checking recommend.

Flavors: Honey, Leather, Wood

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 10 g 16 OZ / 473 ML
Sami Kelsh

This sounds really sexy.

ashmanra

I’m with Sami.

Yep, definitely been struck down by one of Apollo’s plague arrows, not sure if this is just the worst cold ever or the flu, but I am stuck in bed with an all cold liquid diet. I guess it is really good that I love ginger ale and sherbet, fruit smoothies, and soup. Now I will take a break between dopey cold medicine hazes to update my blog, but don’t be too surprised if I am a bit silent over the weekend.

Today is the last of the Teavivre Spotlight Week (business week of course) and it is Fengqing Ripened Tribute Pu-erh Cake Tea 2013 a Shu Pu-erh made from tea plucked from 50-100 year old large leaf arbor trees in 2006. Lovingly ripened until 2013 in Fengqing, Yunnan. The aroma of this tea is leather and very earthy, like wet loam and a touch gamy. There is a sharp finish like pine needles, the leaves certainly have a strong aroma, though not an unpleasant one.

Once the leaves have been rinsed and quickly steeped the aroma is richly piney and mildly earthy, the leather and gamy quality from the dry leaves has been replaced with fresh pine wood and sweet sap and honey. The liquid has a faintly floral quality and strong notes of pine wood which gives it an underlying sweetness.

The first steep is quite delicate, blending aged orchid (if I was an exceptionally skilled cultivator of orchids I could pick out the specific orchid it reminds me of) that has been flowering for at least a day. It fades to loam and finishes with a slightly bready quality.

The aroma of the second steep is a blend of loam and pine wood with the barest touch of cocoa. The taste is rich and loamy with a bitterness reminiscent of autumn leaves and oak galls. It is the bitterness of earthiness and not astringent, unripe fruit. The aftertaste is mildly sweet.

For the third steeping the aroma is mostly loam with just a hint of pine wood, the aroma reminds me specifically of oak leaves, but I might have spent way too much of my life sniffing forest floors, it is part of mushroom hunting. The taste is a bit more mild than the previous steep blending leather and loam with only a hint of the previous steep’s bitterness, as before there was a sweet aftertaste.

The fourth and final (at least for me) steep has the aroma of loam and that is all. The taste is all loam and leather with strong earthy undertones. The sweetness of the previous steeps is gone and you are left with a forest floor. This is certainly a Pu-erh I would recommend to someone who wants a bold, earthy Pu-erh. This is probably not my favorite type of Pu-erh, but it well crafted and enjoyable.

For blog and photos: http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2014/02/teavivre-fengqing-ripened-tribute-pu.html

Flavors: Honey, Leather, Loam, Orchids

TheTeaFairy

Feel better soon :-) Lol, I’m not even sick and this is my kind of regular diet, could live on soup and smoothies all the time( well almost!)

Amanda 'SoggyEnderman' Wilson

Thank you! I definitely could too, I just seem to feel better with that kind of diet, plus it is so tasty!