Earl Grey Vanilla

Bergamot, Earl Grey, Vanilla
Edit tea info Last updated by mirthmatter

From Tetley

The carefully selected blend of Orange Pekoe, combined with the essential essence of bergamot and just a hint of vanilla, creates a unique tea with a subtly sweet undertone and intoxicating aroma.

About Tetley View company

This tea smelled like discount, vanilla scented shampoo and tasted a bit like sweetened bathwater. I was really disappointed and completely unimpressed. It was stale and had a very weak flavour, even though I let the tea bag sit in the water the entire time.

I thought it was all right, but right after I finished it I had a cup of Twining’s Earl Grey and it reminded me what tea bags were supposed to taste like.

200 °F / 93 °C 8 min or more
Michelle Butler Hallett

Tetley always disappoints me. Every now and then I’ll try a new blend, but invariably I say ‘Bleah.’

Michelle Butler Hallett

Hee hee — love ‘sweetened bathwater.’

Beckara

I feel exactly the same way! I mean, I think the first tea I had in my life was Tetley, so I always feel like I’m just becoming a bit of a snob if I don’t like it any more, but for real! This tea was terrible!

Michelle Butler Hallett

Tetley is incredibly popular here in Newfoundland, and I always feel like such a snot when I ask for tea as a restauarnt / cafe and immediately make sure it’s not Tetley. But there we go. Had a small pot of Twining’s bagged English Breakfast yesterday, but the water wasn’t boiling. AUGH! Quite hot, out of one of those hot water dispensers with the red handles, but not boiling. With black tea, boiling water makes all the difference. I’d already made my ‘Anything but Tetley’ fuss, so I held back on the water. I doubt they had a proper kettle anyway.

Beckara

I would rather wait the three minutes for a kettle to boil than to just have hot water out of a dispenser. I think Tetley is a pretty popular brand in Canada, period. It’s always the one I come across. A lot of places here have a little bowl with a bunch of different brands stuck in it and let you choose…

Usually it’s a choice between Red Rose, Tetley, some green tea, but Stash or Twinings show up on occassion…

Michelle Butler Hallett

Three whole minutes, imagine that. :)

I dunno, part of the big change I;ve made in my life over the past year has been learning to slow down. Not gulp coffee for the sake of caffeine, but sip tea for the sake of the many nuances of tea. (I still drink coffee, just nowhere near as much as I used to.) Boiling the kettle, measuring the leaves, timing the steep — it’s all part of that general slowing down which, in the end, makes me more productive. The TeaFiend’s Paradox.

Michelle Butler Hallett

Red Rose is generally better than Tetley. Well, I like it better. And PG Tips better than both of them.

I’ve been hospitalized several times over the past ten years, and tea has often been a major comfort. However, the best you can get on a hospittal tray is warm water in a covered plastic mug with a Tetley bag tossed into a little caddy next to it. So one of the reasons I don’t care for Tetley is that it immediately brings smells and sounds of a hospital to mind.

Beckara

My Dad has that with Jell-o. When he had his appendix out he had Jell-o in the hospital and he never ate it again, couldn’t stomach it. His operation was in the 1960s.

I had a lot of insomnia problems for years and years. Like Edward Norton in Fight Club insomnia problems, so I gave up coffee and switched to tea and it made all the difference in the world. I also realised that I never really liked coffee to begin with, I’d just been raised on Tim Hortons because my parents are addicts.

I like what you said about slowing down and appreciating the process of making tea. In a way, there is almost a ritual (or routine, if the word ‘ritual’ seems too spiritual) to preparing tea that involves the person making the tea moreso than coffee which is just…tossed in a machine and drunk. Tea seems more…personal?

Michelle Butler Hallett

More personal, more intimate. You can easily show love for another person by making them tea.

Again, judge me all you want for having this as a staple in my cupboard. :P It’s not the best tea in the world, but it’s accessible and the taste is comforting to me.

Michelle Butler Hallett

Hey, if you like it, you like it. I’m a big fan of PG Tips and King Cole, two supermarket brands that are just bags full of fannings and dust. But I grew up on them, especially King Cole, so at least one of them will always be in my pantry.

I wanted so much to like this!
I LOVE Earl Grey, and I hearken back to the days when my mom and I would just throw tea bags into a cup, walk away and then walk back some time later and drink our tea.

This one leaves something to be desired, sadly :(
I got a few tea bags from my mom-in-law to tide me over until I can get some loose leaf (It’s my birthday on Aug 19th so I’m trying not to buy tea until after… it’s HARD!), but oof. the tea is bitter! So bitter it’s almost sour! And I have a dash of cream and sugar in it. Smells wonderful though haha

Well, I feel sad now. because I feel tea-spoiled. But nothing wrong with a good cup of tea! I’ll find one after I finish this :)

Pretty mellow, I’m not getting any vanilla though. In fact I’m not getting much flavour… oh well it was interesting to try.

Boiling

As others have noted, this is a very sweet tea. One could substitute this for dessert haha. The sweetness isn’t overwhelming however, I’ve actually grown to like it. As for the vanilla, it’s definitely very strong. I wouldn’t go as far to say it smells “discount” as other Steepers have said.
It’s particularly good on a cold winter day, a good alternative to hot chocolate.

For some reason I like having my teas next to me when reviewing them – I can’t stop opening the lid of this one and taking a deep breath, I love the way it smells dry.

It’s one of my favourites to throw in a cup and not think too much. I usually drink my teas clear, but this isn’t bad with a splash of milk.

Flavors: Bergamot, Earl Grey, Vanilla

When I first opened my container, and used very small tea cups, I’ve had some nice tea. However, about a month and half later, the tea seems a lot weaker. Not a very strong tea, if its in too much water, it doesn’t taste like anything…….

185 °F / 85 °C 7 OZ / 200 ML

So-so. Not bad for mass-produced. Lots of vanilla flavour. I add milk and honey.

This is a dessert tea, without a doubt. It is sweeter than I like for an ordinary drinking tea. It was even too sweet to drink with a cookie – it made the cookie seem less sweet!

This tea is the definition of cheap vanilla flavour. It sounded like a really unique combination so I thought I’d give it a try, but I was definetely disappointed. It smells like vanilla perfume to me, which is pleasant but nauseating to have in a tea.