Sky Between the Branches (Gu Zhang Mao Jian)

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “A good way to make this seem much better than it is (to me) is to make it my first cup of real tea in a full week. I still don't like drinking flowers, though. ” Read full tasting note
    jimmarks 325 tasting notes
  • “this tea. nicely played little tea. i brewed it up kind haphazardly and wasn't trying too hard to choose a tea, i was like whatevs, and the second i tasted it i was all "hey! ... i like this! yum!"...” Read full tasting note
    shmiracles 744 tasting notes
  • “oh yummy, savory, vegetal green, I would be lost without you <3 And what this? Do I finally detect some of that woody and earthy flavor that others have described. Why yes, I think so. How many...” Read full tasting note
    Flightysprite 485 tasting notes
  • “Okay, this is surprisingly good. I was at the grocery store the other day and poked around to see what offerings RoT had in the Chinese green department. Chicago Tea Garden made me like them (with...” Read full tasting note
    aug3zimm 911 tasting notes

From The Republic of Tea

Gu Zhang Mao Jian Tea – Harvested ten days each spring on the banks of Qiushiu River in the Wuyi Mountains. This Chinese green tea is renowned for its tender silver tips, faint sweet cup and chestnut character.

About The Republic of Tea View company

I still don’t like drinking flowers, though.

TeaBrat

Floral teas are not really among my favorites, either

Jim Marks

That’s because it isn’t good :-)

ScottTeaMan

Huh?….Oh man, I love a good Jasmine tea —ie Jasmine Pearls. I don’t drink it every day, it wouldn’t be as special if I did.

ScottTeaMan

RoT has some good blends, and I haven’t tried their loose teas, but I find I need two teabags sometimes-even for average size cups. I think their loose teas are a little high when compared to the competition’s prices. They spend too much on packaging and looking good.

Jim Marks

I just hate flowers. The smell gives me a headache. Whether it is growing on the plant, crushed into a perfume, or scented onto a tea. It just isn’t for me.

I get RoT in bulk bin canisters from my local snootsville grocery store, so the packaging and whatnot has been taken from the equation. It is still pricy, but it saves me shipping costs compared to ordering online. I haven’t found a dedicated tea retailer in Houston that sells anything I actually want to buy, yet, so I get these loose RoT as daily drinkers and save the online order materials for the more occasional cup.

But yes, their tea bags are awful.

ScottTeaMan

I’ve only tried their teabags and just don’t like the fluff with their marketing. I think that’s another reason I avoid their loose teas.

TeaBrat

@Jim my local Whole foods has some pretty nice quality teas in bulk from the Silk Road. Do you know if yours does?

ashmanra

I don’t remember seeing bulk tea at the WF near my son, but I will def check it out Monday when I drive up there!

Jim Marks

I’ve never seen their marketing.

Our WF’s seem to focus on Rishi as their provider of loose teas.

this tea. nicely played little tea. i brewed it up kind haphazardly and wasn’t trying too hard to choose a tea, i was like whatevs, and the second i tasted it i was all “hey! … i like this! yum!” gulp gulp gulp

it was gone in record time.
could have been the hours i spent in the sun i suppose? but yum!

so good Shelley_Lorraine. so good.

to bad this isn’t for sale! but hopefully eventually…

“The Tea Calendar has been launched in a limited special edition. It is very expensive, handmade and not commercially available in this form. This first edition will be followed by a longer development phase in which the Tea Calendar is to be brought to market.”

eventually brought to market. i’ll be looking for it cuz i’m SO CURIOUS.

BrewTEAlly Sweet

That looks so cool. I hope it comes out!

Shelley_Lorraine

Die Beschreibung ist in deutscher Sprache, aber die Kalender ist Englisch :( I want a German calendar :)

CHAroma

I don’t know any German, but that looks freaking awesome! I wonder if the teas contaminate each other if they’re so close together like that though. I’d think they’d each need to be individually packaged and sealed. But very cool!

oh yummy, savory, vegetal green, I would be lost without you <3

And what this? Do I finally detect some of that woody and earthy flavor that others have described. Why yes, I think so. How many more secrets do you hold mysterious green tea?

I think that you have been so aptly named.

Terri HarpLady

This used to be one of my favorites, back when I was drinking lots of green teas. I actually used the name of this tea in the lyrics to my song, TeaMind (Zen Breakfast CD). The actual verse reads:
“Music, in his moment, note by note, the whole of life,
Teamind, just this moment, sip by sip, this is life.
Drinking tea, like playing music,
subtly alters both mind & mood,
from the sky between the branches to the dragon well,
journey within, return renewed.”

oooh, pretty :)

Terri HarpLady

Thanks! That’s the 2nd verse :)
That CD is no longer available as a disc, I sold them all! But it’s available for download on itunes, if you’d like to hear it.

Shelley_Lorraine

oh swell, ill have to look for that then (^^)

Okay, this is surprisingly good. I was at the grocery store the other day and poked around to see what offerings RoT had in the Chinese green department. Chicago Tea Garden made me like them (with their lovely Wuyu and Bi Luo Chun). I just ran out of the BLC and since it’s not like I can buy any more, I’ve been kind of hoping (but not expecting) to find something that could replace it.

This isn’t quite there, but maybe with some tweaking it could be a good contender. It’s got the nice sweetness that CTG’s BLC has and a good nuttiness. It does have a prickle of saltiness and astringency and a bit more sharpness to it than CTG’S BLC, but it’s not so strong that it is unpleasant. I wonder if, with a shorter steep time or less leaf, I could get that astringency to back of. If I could get it to do that without losing the sweeter notes, I’d be a happy camper.

I will say, I’m pretty sure this stuff is fairly fresh as the store didn’t offer this in their bulk section the week or so before I bought it. I’m starting to think that the fresher a Chinese green is, the more sweetness this is. Can anyone confirm or deny that thought?

fleurdelily

oohhh, love the name of it!

Auggy

Fleurdelily – it is a pretty name, isn’t it?

Second time drinking this. The taste to me would be like water in a pristine stream that just grazes the silt of the riverbed. Earthily mild.

Not sure why I said it tasted like white last time. This is definitely green and has an earthy flavor. Nice, but basic. This is the last of my stash and I doubt I’ll be replacing it.

I don’t think I prepared this correctly. . . it’s so mild it’s almost not there at all. I pick up a vague vegetalness that clings to the tongue a bit after I’ve swallowed. I do adore the currrrrrly little leaves, though!

I’m gonna hafta make another cup before I decide whether or not I like it; indeed, or if there’s even anything to like.

This tea was both good and somewhat disappointing. I think I would have liked it better if I had approached it as just a regular Chinese green, but I was expecting more. For one, I started using filtered water (my city’s tap water tastes good, so I didn’t think it would change much, but it improved the other teas I had tried. Moreover, both the price ($22 per tin—but I only got two teaspoons’ worth at Whole Foods, which was lucky) and the description made me expect a spectacularly fantastic green. Maybe it was, and my taste buds just aren’t yet used to all the subtleties in Chinese greens, but to me it tasted like others I’ve had. Good, but not fantastic.

This tea had a very woody flavor. You really feel like you are drinking earth with this tea. I cant imagine it would be good cold. I am not super impressed with it but it was not a bad tea. My aunt liked it very much for its clean flavor.