Edit tea info Last updated by Jack

• “This tea courtesy of Doulton! I am very excited because I've been wanting to try this tea ever since I read about it. The leaves are absolutely GORGEOUS! Long, dark and handsome! It's so hard to...” Read full tasting note
    JacquelineM 1112 tasting notes
  • “My order from The Simple Leaf arrived today and I'm so excited to try this tea! I've been reading some really fantastic reviews about this tea on Steepster, so my expectations are high. The...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4550 tasting notes
  • “Mmm...Dawn. I've missed you. I know you won't be with me for much longer but I will enjoy each minute we have together. If you're curious, I have a longer review up on It's All About the Leaf:...” Read full tasting note
    mrawlins2 1015 tasting notes
  • “I know, I know, it's way past its prime now, but I hoarded my last 1/3 packet of this for cold weather sipping; even when it's elderly, it's heavy and luscious and cocoa-y. When (ha!) I get time...” Read full tasting note
    gmathis 1757 tasting notes

From The Simple Leaf

If you haven’t heard about Arunachal Pradesh or Abali before, prepare to be delighted. When we first received this tea, we just had to stare and wonder at these gorgeous, long, hand-rolled orthodox leaves with prominent tips. Simply smelling the aroma from the leaf had us floored before we had even taken our first sip. When brewed, it produced a wonderful mellow, golden liquor that was pleasantly smooth and refreshing. Tasting this tea brought back visions of a light mist hovering over tea bushes at dawn. Enjoy hot or iced.

About The Simple Leaf View company

Thanks to MRAWLINS2 for letting me sample this tea with her today. I was completely amazed at the appearance of the leaves. Long, rolled leaves with a matte black color. The smell of the dry leaves had a scent..is that cocoa that I smell? We brewed this in my Ingenitea and watched as the leaves unfurled and danced around…way cool! A nice amber brew in my cup. Now for the first sip, black tea with a nuance…an earthy tone. Where have I tasted this before? MRAWLINS2 is right, it reminds me of a dark oolong. This is one tea that could go for several infusions. I agree with Ricky, this is a must try for all black tea lovers. Lots of layers to this tea. The smell of the wet leaves reminds me of a robust Ceylon, could that be? This is one tea that deserves another tasting note in the near future. I will be watching for MRAWLINS2 review with anticipation:)

mpierce87

I think you were right about this tea…it seemed to taste better in the Chatsford. But it could also be due to brewing for only 4 minutes instead of 5. I don’t know.

threewhales

I have discovered that some teas do better in the warm belly of a Chatsford teapot. It helps them to open more and thus you get a better cuppa:)

Nice smooth an enjoyable cuppa. Allergies really have me down today so I’ll have to come back and add a better tasting note when I feel better.

Update: Yummy, smooth and a great cup for anytime.

AmazonV

aww :( feel better soon, darn pollen

Rich cocoa aroma and taste. It is not a one note tea, but the cocoa impression is so strong that I’m having trouble sussing out the nuances. A little charcoal, maybe a little cherry. Very smooth with only a hint of astringency and no bitterness. Coppery orange in the cup.

A fairly good black tea with slight cocoa notes.

Very delicious. A nice surprise of deep, rich flavors. Thank you Jessica for sending me this sample. I regret not tasting this sooner.

I’m going to just rip off the band-aid: I think this one was over-hyped.
OK, I guess I’m just weird. Everyone else thinks it is the most amazing tea ever…I don’t. It’s not bad, just not teagasmic. I get the pre-brew smells. Yup, Chocolate in abundance. Trouble is, it just doesn’t come through on the steep for me. There have been several descriptions of the taste, but for me the thing it tastes most like is…ready?…boiled peanut shells. That’s not necessarily bad, and I love boiled peanuts, but maybe not in my morning tea. I mixed some Dawn with some Assam, and I thought it was infinitely better. As expensive as it was with shipping, I probably will not order more. Nomex suit is donned; fire away!

I wasn’t sure about this tea when we first met it. The smell some said was like chocolate but I didn’t find it so. I was quite taken back by the smell but then my nose has been a bit off as of late… long hours, stress and a sinus cold, again. However, I gave it a go in the pot-o-wonders and it faired well. It brewed a happy hue and a handsome cup! It has this mouthy mourning breakfast cereal taste which I find quiet pleasing and goes wonderfully with milk (which I am trying to kill off as I am off to sea yet again).

I am afraid this tea will be traveling with be on my next journey… so say farewell to dry land as I take no sissy teas with me! Aaarrgh! :P

Brewed two cups with the same leaves. Great both times. Gotta keep this one in stock.