Sencha Green Tea, Organic

Green Tea
Green Melons
Edit tea info Last updated by Shelley_Lorraine

• “Yay, I'm first to rate this one! All the more special considering that it's the first loose tea I ever purchased (on january 30, 2012). The bagged teas that I drank before were mostly green teas...” Read full tasting note
    Flightysprite 456 tasting notes
  • “I just steeped this too strong. I got this as a sample with another order a while back and finally gave it a shot. I steeped enough for about three cups in the volume of two, so it was a bit...” Read full tasting note
    SailorTodd 29 tasting notes

From The Tea Spot

The emperor of green teas, hand picked, deep steamed, and carefully dried right after harvesting, in traditional Japanese style. This organic sencha tea will make any day feel like a beautiful spring day. A delicately sweet, herbaceous aroma emanates from the long, flat, naturally dark emerald tea leaves. The medium-light body of its infusion results in a slightly sweet flavor that endures long after you’re done sipping the tea. It is subtly balanced, sweet and salty, with a flavor profile reminiscent of fresh cut grass and seaweed. Sencha is a steamed tea, made from freshly picked leaves, and is therefore rich in Vitamin C. This is a perfect green tea to drink in the afternoon, as the tasting experience will make you feel simultaneously relaxed and refreshed. For added value and enjoyment, the flavor profile remains consistent for three infusions.

Features:
100% Organic Sencha Green Tea
Origin: China (Japanese style)
~25-30 mg Caffeine / Serving
Gluten-free & Sugar-free

About The Tea Spot View company

Yay, I’m first to rate this one! All the more special considering that it’s the first loose tea I ever purchased (on january 30, 2012). The bagged teas that I drank before were mostly green teas and I wanted my first loose tea experience to be close to what I was used to. However, it took me a while to fully appreciate this tea. In fact, I left it alone for a few weeks, thinking I just don’t like Sencha. I never worried about steeping times with my bagged teas. I’d just leave the bag in the tea while I drank it. If I didn’t like it, I blamed it on the tea, not on the over-steeping. I followed the recommended brewing instructions for this loose tea, but I wasn’t too fond of the result. As for a second steeping, yuck! The tea kept giving, what I described as a muddy/dirty flavor. I suppose that’s supposed to be the bitterness? I never thought of it as bitter though.

After much research into ‘proper’ tea brewing techniques, I found one that gives me a really good result: Fill my (glazed) kyusu with two or three times as much tea as recommended and steep for 50 seconds with water at 165deg. I finally discovered what Unami must be! yummy <3 I can even get a decent second cup if I steep the leaves with near boiling water (around 190) for 30 seconds.

Going to brew my second steeping now :) …

I just steeped this too strong. I got this as a sample with another order a while back and finally gave it a shot. I steeped enough for about three cups in the volume of two, so it was a bit stronger than my first time steeping this.

The leaves are a deep green, flat and mostly intact (any that weren’t can likely be attributed to my less than careful handling of the sample). The liquor was a greenish yellow, although it would have been a lighter yellow if I’d had the right amount of leaves for the water. I’d also say The Tea Spot’s own description of sweet and herbacious were right on. I have too many other unique, nuanced greens for this to make my favorites list, but it was a great green tea.

Flavors: Green Melons