Earl Grey

Bergamot, Black Tea
Bergamot, Orange, Paper, Citrus, Cream, Citrus Zest, Earth, Floral, Malt, Nuts, Wood, Honey, Perfume, Cloves, Dark Wood, Orange Zest, Astringent, Bitter, Green, Lemon Zest, Dark Bittersweet, Vanilla, Butterscotch, Guava
Loose Leaf, Tea Bag
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Amanda

• “I found a recipe for Earl Grey lemonade and it made me curious. It has been very hot here recently and I have been drinking a fair amount of half-tea, half-lemonade that my fiance’s mother...” Read full tasting note
    MegWesley 550 tasting notes
  • “I have one more bag of this. I used to drink this often and loved it. Now I am finding it kind of meh. I hate it when the classics don’t quite live up to the memory.” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1695 tasting notes
  • “This is another tea I bought, mainly because I like Earl Grey. It is really one of my favorite [fruit flavored] teas. Surprisingly, I haven’t had all that many different brands of it, nor do...” Read full tasting note
    ScottTeaMan 101 tasting notes
  • “I am kind of confused by the myriad of Earl Greys that Twining’s seems to offer. I am now in Heathrow Airport (London) on my way to Madagascar and I had a bagged EG that wasn’t the...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 2184 tasting notes

From Twinings

Fine black tea expertly blended with the citrus fruit flavor of bergamot, a citrus fruit.

“Twinings has been blending my family tea for years. Today, I am proud to continue this tradition with the tea celebrated throughout the world known as Twinings Earl Grey. Legend has it that my ancestor, the second Earl Grey, was presented with this exquisite reciep by an envoy on his return from China. -The sixth Earl Grey” (Dec. 2015)

To savour the full flavour of our teas, bring water to boil, and pour over the tea as soon as it reaches boiling. Over-boiling will cause oxygen to be reduced, making the tea taste “flat”. Brew 2-4 minutes or to desired taste.

Ingredients: Black Tea, Bergamot Flavouring

About Twinings View company

I’m beginning to suspect that this is all part of Twining’s policy as the Earl Grey also suffers from what I am starting to call the American Deficit (when the same brand and style of tea has less flavor when purchased in an American Store than when purchased in other countries).

Some fair back and forth testing has confirmed my suspicion. A nice Earl Grey (not the best, but far from the worst) that’s reliably good when purchased from a retailer not located in the United States.

I got this from a friend of mine as a present, and it’s an Earl Grey so I have set quite high expectations for this one! Let’s sip! Wohoo!

The dry leaves look very produced. I don’t know whether this is the same exact tea they put in the bagged version of this (I’m not too sure if that exists though!). It typically looks like the tea leaves you would expect from bag, with here and there a longer leaf.

The scent, ladies and gentleman! The scent! Oh my gosh! Great. When I first opened the box I was like, meh, alright this is the thousand year old scent that was trapped for eternity in the box. Never have I been so wrong in my life! The scent remains even after I picked a few grams out of the box. Very intense scent! It’s obviously bergamot-scent as you would expect from an Earl Grey.

I steeped 5 grams in 300ml for about 2 minutes. The end result (as can be seen in the photos I’ve taken) is quite good. It’s about 60-70% dark. As the first sip goes down, I feel no dryness, no bitterness. It goes down slowly, mostly due to its very strong scent.

Bottom line: Great Earl Grey. Re-buying should I run out of the 3.56oz/100grams I have. :-)

Photos available here: https:[email protected]/sets/72157648318765629/

Flavors: Bergamot, Citrus

Boiling 2 min, 0 sec 5 g 10 OZ / 300 ML

Elusive citrus
Green in the black, green in brown
Earl grey is “light” tea.

I’m still wrapping my palate around what bergamot tastes like. I know it’s in the citrus family, so I’m thinking that the orange-peel flavor in this tea is it. Other than that, this tea tastes pretty green. The color is even a greenish brown! Not what I would have expected in my limited experience…

Flavors: Citrus Zest, Green

Meh, not a huge fan. Maybe it’s the citrus. I’d probably drink this if I had to, but I’d rather not.

In London now, while a friend has moved into my apartment to take care of my cat, my plants and tea collection during my absence :)
I use teabags when I travel, and I really needed this cup of TEA.EARL GREY. HOT. I had a morning flight, so my head is aching pretty badly due to sleep depravation. This tea has a calming effect on me, probably because it always conjures up the image of Captain Picard.
Find comfort in the little things.

This is my favorite Earl Grey at present. It is also the finest Earl Grey I am able to buy over the counter in this small town, so I am assuming that I may yet find Earl Greys I enjoy more than this one.

This tea has a very nice aroma, and the black tea to bergamot ratio is right on the money. I know they use bergamot flavoring rather than actual bergamot oil, but I have to remind myself that this is a mass market tea which I buy for $3 a box. This is about as good as you can do in that price range.

I drink this tea straight, hot, and strong. It hasn’t disappointed yet, so I think regardless of how many fancy tins of loose leaf Earl Grey I acquire in the future, this one will always be the baseline. It’s a nice comfortable cup that I can always come back to.

How i got it: Bought it (Twinings’ Classics Collection Pack)

Experience: Maybe the first Earl Grey I tasted, I think I can appreciate it better after some years, hehe. It has a well-balanced aroma, to the point that the tea is equally present than (and not overriden by) the bergamot scent. However, its smell isn’t very intense or vibrant. I can sense some orange-candy hints too. In the flavor side, this tea has very evident, mild-intensity lemon notes, although you still can taste the base tea. I’d liked a bit more of duration. Very good tea, but needs a bit more to be among the greatest.

Would i buy it again?: There are better options out there, but this is still a valid one.

All and all, this is a very consistent tasting Earl Grey. It’s not the best, but I know what I’m getting from it, and it always delivers. It’s fairly tolerant to me screwing up the brewing too by walking away and letting it steep too long.

This isn’t my favorite Earl Grey, but it’s a bit cheaper than the others I drink, I can find it at a Mariano’s close to home, and I can re-use the tins of the loose leaf version for my other teas that don’t come in tins.

Being the enduring brand for Earl Greys, this is a must-try product for me during my transition from green to black tea.

I was lucky enough to snatch up two boxes from Shoppers for $3 apiece (bargain!) Strangely enough, Canadian shelves only carry the Earl Grey, Lady Grey and Chamomile from Twinings.

A delicious citrus scent met me when I tore open the package – a subject of much online griping after Twinings changed their formula. 3-4 minutes of steeping yielded a slightly murky shade, still with that overpowering citrus scent. I had a plain cup, and made my mom a cup with copious amounts of milk. One sip brought me back to the European tea salons (okay, they really do know their tea better across the pond). This is definitely one of the better bagged teas out there.

This will probably become my go-to Earl Grey, but I’m also itching to see what Harney and Sons has to offer.

Flavors: Lemon Zest

This EG is like a friend from childhood whom you contact every few years, and it’s like no time has passed at all between the two of you. Steady, reliable, tangy, and balanced beautifully. Nothing revolutionary or particularly unique here, but it’s a safe bet when you aren’t in the mood to experiment.