Earl Grey

Bergamot, Black Tea
Bergamot, Citrus, Citrus Zest, Green, Lemon Zest, Dark Bittersweet, Orange Zest, Vanilla
Loose Leaf, Tea Bag
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Shae

• “I found a recipe for Earl Grey lemonade and it made me curious. It has been very hot here recently and I have been drinking a fair amount of half-tea, half-lemonade that my fiance's mother has...” Read full tasting note
    MegWesley 540 tasting notes
  • “I have one more bag of this. I used to drink this often and loved it. Now I am finding it kind of meh. I hate it when the classics don't quite live up to the memory. ” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1419 tasting notes
  • “This is another tea I bought, mainly because I like Earl Grey. It is really one of my favorite [fruit flavored] teas. Surprisingly, I haven't had all that many different brands of it, nor do I have...” Read full tasting note
    ScottTeaMan 101 tasting notes
  • “I am kind of confused by the myriad of Earl Greys that Twining's seems to offer. I am now in Heathrow Airport (London) on my way to Madagascar and I had a bagged EG that wasn't the typical...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 2036 tasting notes

From Twinings

Fine black tea expertly blended with the citrus fruit flavor of bergamot, a citrus fruit.

To savour the full flavour of our teas, bring water to boil, and pour over the tea as soon as it reaches boiling. Over-boiling will cause oxygen to be reduced, making the tea taste “flat”. Brew 2-4 minutes or to desired taste.

About Twinings View company

I’m not really a big tea drinker. However I saw a box of Twinings today at the market and decided to try the Earl Grey.

Upon opening the box the smell was so nice that I cannot wait to make a cup. I let the bag steep for around 4 minutes, and while the aroma is delightful, the taste was lighter than I expected. I probably should have seen that coming since the box says ‘light flavour strength’. With that said, I still ended up liking this tea more than I thought I would.

I really love this tea as a simple morning pick me up. I steep is for longer than the direction advise since I noticed that the listed times didn’t really impart enough flavor.

Note: I used the bagged tea.

Apparently Twinings has changed its Earl Grey blend in the last few years. I’m inclined to agree, as some of the older reviews complain about the absence of bergamot notes. The bergamot is the overwhelming flavour in the new blend, whereas the black tea is quite weak. This makes for a useful to-go bagged tea, as it takes much longer for the black tea to noticeably over-steep and produce a bitter flavour— on rushed mornings I can throw together a travel mug right before stepping out the door, without having to worry about removing the bag in-transit.

The bottom line: a convenient, easy to make, but weak Earl Grey.

2019 tasting notes

Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.

Can you tell I come from a family of Star Trek fans? We always had this on had growing up and I drank it every day through college. While it is no longer my favorite Earl Grey I do still keep some on hand for when I don’t feel like dragging out my tea pot or I toss some in my travel bag for when I just can’t get good tea where I’m at [most hotels serve truly appalling tea].

It’s probably the most common Earl Grey tea to see in the supermarkets and such, but man does it have an addicting flavor! It was my first venture into Earl Grey and it did not disappoint. I was sort of skeptical about British tea before (more of an Asian tea purist) but Twinings was a wonderful first time for me. Nowadays, it’s a staple part of my casual drinking habits.

I haven’t really tried a wide variety of Earl Grey so far, but compared to the ones I actually did try, this one was definitely the most flavorful.

This is one of my favorite teas to have at breakfast although the flavor could be stronger. Milk and two sugars please

An acceptable Earl Grey tea. The flavour is fairly mild, even with a long steeping. Not as bergamot-y as some other Earl Grey variations, but it’s still a decent tea.

Earl Grey has been been my long time favourite, I like to let the bag steep for about 5 mins, then add a dash of milk.

Very refreshing indeed. Will try it chilled.

A good, cheap tea that is very nice at any time of day. The black tea is not very rich, but has a light taste and aroma that blends well with the bergamot flavor. I love Twinings bagged tea because you can steep it quickly and have a nice light tea, or steep it long and have a deep flavorful tea; you cant really mess it up!