Organic Better Rest Blend

Herbal Tea
Anise, Chamomile, Fennel, Ginger, Hops, Lemon Balm, Lemongrass, Orange Peels, Peppermint, Rose Hips, Valerian Root
Caffeine Free
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

• “The last couple weeks have been so hectic and stressful. Been at the doctor's office more than we have been home. My wife has been in severe pain with acid reflux. They eliminated everything else...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1315 tasting notes
  • “I picked this herbal tisane up at Whole Foods a couple of weeks ago but am just getting around to trying it now. I really like the flavor here and it seems very relaxing - the only downside for...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2394 tasting notes
  • “I will say this certainly had a lovely chamomile smell to it once steeped. That was after a full boil on the water and waiting 4 (er 6) minutes for the tisane to steep. I had a pretty busy/slightly...” Read full tasting note
    ThePurrfectCup 374 tasting notes
  • “I have to be honest, when it comes to "bedtime" blends, I'm rather partial to my Meadow Nocturne. However, since I've stopped making my blends, it's nice when I come across a blend that I like...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4391 tasting notes

From two leaves and a bud

If the sandman has passed you by, try this relaxing blend of chamomile, peppermint, hops and valerian. Lemon balm and rose hips make this herbal tea a soothing and healthy part of your bedtime ritual. Sip, sip, saw logs!

• Caffeine: NONE Light Moderate
  • Top note: Honey
  • Middle Note: Smooth
  • Finish: Slightly Sweet

About two leaves and a bud View company

The last couple weeks have been so hectic and stressful. Been at the doctor’s office more than we have been home. My wife has been in severe pain with acid reflux. They eliminated everything else before treating her. Thankful, but that was crazy. Then we have the building projects underway. Reroofing the mobile home should be done Monday then they start the porch on my house.

Point is, neither of us have been sleeping well. Last night we each had a mug of this at bed time. The next thing we know the puppy is fussing to be let out at 7:00 AM. Yeah Sleep!

Veronica

I hope your wife is feeling better. My husband went through something similar several years ago, and it was no fun.

Is the Valerian root in this blend strong? I’d like to try it, but I can’t get past the smell of Valerian root.

Cheri

Acid reflux is just awful. I’m sorry it took them so long to eliminate everything else before treating that, but I’m glad she’s starting to feel better.

mrmopar

K S , I had acid reflux terribly until I started drinking a cup of shou 30 mins before bedtime. It was so bad I used to wake up in the middle of the night with the reflux that would have me gasping for breath and unable to breathe for a few seconds. Have her try it for 2 weeks and see if it can help her.

Terri HarpLady

I also used to suffer with reflux, until I removed all the grains from my diet.
Regarding valerian, the aroma used to overwhelm me, but now I love it. Best sleep aid ever :)
Sending good vibes for both of you.

TeaBrat

I’ve had it too. Lots of culprits, coffee, chocolate, alcohol, garlic etc. Hope she gets some relief soon.

K S

I really wish my wife could drink shou for a number of reasons – most health related. Sadly, she can’t tolerate caffeine. She tries to watch everything she eats because of the reflux, high blood sugar, and high cholesterol. She avoids chocolate. Her only vice left is one cup of coffee a day. Glad I’m not in her shoes.

Terri, I’ve wondered if gluten free would help her. The sad truth is the good green leafy food she needs also attacks her. It isn’t fun to be allergic to everything.

Veronica – I have never been able to single out valerian in this or the Sleepytime Extra. This one is fruity with a (very light) touch of fennel. The Sleepytime is mostly spearmint. They are both good. This one seems more effective.

Terri HarpLady

I know about the being allergic to everything bit, I hate it. Here’s a page about problems with FODMAPS (veggies that commonly cause digestion issues)

K S

Thanks. I’ll give it a read.

Terri HarpLady

Might or might not be helpful, but you know, spread the love, right? :)

Veronica

K S – Thanks for the info! I’m going to pick this one up with my next Amazon order.

I really like the flavor here and it seems very relaxing – the only downside for me is it’s very minty and peppermint gives me acid reflux sometimes. I like the chamomile, the licorice and the lemon balm. It seems very well balanced and refreshing. I’m not sure I would buy it again due to the strong peppermint flavor but otherwise it’s very enjoyable and will hopefully bring the Sandman by soon. :)

I will say this certainly had a lovely chamomile smell to it once steeped. That was after a full boil on the water and waiting 4 (er 6) minutes for the tisane to steep. I had a pretty busy/slightly stressful day at work. Which meant chamomile and peppermint were in order. Most of what I can taste in this tea is the chamomile, peppermint, and perhaps the lemon balm. If the other flavors are there well then they must be shy on taste. But I can tell you I can feel the soothing properties of the valerian and rose hips.

By soothing I mean it is or should be nap time! That’s what I look for in a good sleepy time tea. Something not super medicinal smelling, big on taste, and even bigger on the ability to make me want to go down for the count. Well, this tea certainly makes me want to call it a day, four hours early! So it looks like trying out their Organic Tamayokucha or even the Organic Assam (also from the sampler) might be in order. That is if I WANT to make it to my 10pm bed time.

For the full review please visit: http://thepurrfectcup.com/2012/10/24/organic-better-rest-blend-two-leaves-tea-review/

I have to be honest, when it comes to “bedtime” blends, I’m rather partial to my Meadow Nocturne. However, since I’ve stopped making my blends, it’s nice when I come across a blend that I like almost as well. This is one of those blends.

I love the flavor of this one. It’s very light and gently sweet. There are soft notes of peppermint, citrus, ginger and licorice… and an overtone of honey that is not overwhelming.

I can already feel myself starting to relax….

I’m giving this bedtime brew from Two Leaves and a Bud another try. My last glass was not very effective, as I was penning my tasting note near 5 am. Tonight we’re pushing 2:30 am. With any luck, I’ll be asleep before 3:30 am.

What to say about this tisane. Lots of aniseed and lemon grass, not very much chamomile. I almost feel that chamomile was thrown in as an afterthought, or maybe to satisfy everyone’s concept of “bedtime brew”. I don’t even taste it. In fact, I’d recommend this infusion more for settling one’s stomach than as an inducement to sleep.

Despite the undeniable inclusion of stinky valerian, I’m not sure that the dose is high enough for me. Perhaps I’d be better off with two glasses, but then I’d have to descend from my chambers in the middle of the night. Oh well, this was my last bag, I believe.

A final question: why in the world did this company change their name to Two Leaves? It would be like Starbucks changing their name to Bucks. Hmmm… come to think of it, that name rather fits!

Memily

The name change was probably because it was originally too much of a mouthful! The change is a little snappier.

sherapop

Thanks, Memily. But the reference is now lost!

Angrboda

‘Two Leaves And A Bud’ tends to makes me think of ‘Two Guys And A Girl’…