Wildcrafted Da Hong Pao

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea Leaves
Butter, Cream, Floral, Honey, Mineral, Burnt Sugar, Fruity, Roasted, Wet Wood, Butternut Squash, Coconut, Grass, Nectar, Oak wood, Smooth, Sweet, Hay, Vegetal, Nuts, Roasted nuts, Toasted Rice, Candy, Caramel, Marshmallow, Roasted Barley, Chestnut, Creamy
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Whispering Pines Tea Company

• “heres a tea ive had for a while but have never reviewed.. so time to write one. it looks like its rolled a little and its a darkish brown color, un brewed. after a rinse the aromatics are heavy...” Read full tasting note
    nycoma 21 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown. I brewed this many times over the course of sigh 48 hours. It was the very last of the package and I just can’t afford to rebuy it. Very sad. And slightly regretful that I...” Read full tasting note
    cathy-zheng 109 tasting notes
  • “This is my first Da Hong Pao. No real expectations here as a result, although a cursory sniff of the dry leaves smelled like roasted oolong, kind of like the tieguanyin I tried earlier this week,...” Read full tasting note
    nishnek 85 tasting notes
  • “This is my first DHP, so take this with a grain of salt. This tea is all right. I ordered a sample of it from a promotion the company was having, and was excited to see...” Read full tasting note
    jwhisk 35 tasting notes

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

Coming soon! :-)

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

heres a tea ive had for a while but have never reviewed.. so time to write one.
it looks like its rolled a little and its a darkish brown color, un brewed.

after a rinse the aromatics are heavy with roasty notes, like burnt toast and with nuttiness such as roasted almond maybe.

the first steep fluffs up the tea in the pot more. the liquid is an orange-y gold color, and its really nice to see that much color on the first steep. i just taste old stuff when i drink this tea.. of coarse theres a kind of burnt toast taste, but it really makes me think of old stuff, antiques, books, and egyptian tombs- which i can only imagine the smell of.

on the second, im thinking now that maybe this has some herbaceousness as an under note, and with some definite malt. the flavors have mended and are coming out and oh it is smooth, “so much so me brothers, that all the melanky little hairs now stand up on me arms, they do, me brothers.”

this is the first time ive gongfu’d this tea and now i know that western brewing doesnt do this tea justice. im using my cracked sky blue porcelain pot- Neptune, to brew this, with 4.20g of dhp in the mix. despite what i said earlier, i think ill steep this tea in my tumbler tomorrow morning and drink it at my class.. i brought WP’s rivendell this morning, unfortunately i should have brewed it a couple extra minutes. i digress..

3rd- and i get some astringency but it is thin and is noticed at the front of the mouth. the body of the tea is med- light in presence, as it almost evaporates. for me this tea plays out all around the front of the mouth. its not super active- kind of flat actually, but theres flavor there.

ill stop here and enjoy the fourth in peace, jk- not really. reviewing as i drink is a love/hate thing, so i may halt a review early if i just want to sip and re-watch breaking bad.

this is a good tea but i dont know when or if ill purchase again.. there are too many teas to try and not enough time.

-nycoma

Sipdown.

Very sad. And slightly regretful that I chucked out the leaves, even at that point. Like maybe I could have given them one last shot as a cold brew?

The hunt continues for an affordable fruity DHP.

Rasseru

Im waiting for the Golden Lily to come back in stock, i shall be trying some of this. I dont care for over-roasted charred wood DHP much

Cathy Baratheon

Oh this is a beautiful light roast! It brings out a sweetness that reminds me of hojicha ice-cream

This is my first Da Hong Pao. No real expectations here as a result, although a cursory sniff of the dry leaves smelled like roasted oolong, kind of like the tieguanyin I tried earlier this week, got a bit of a cool wild dry fly away look to the leaves. It also does NOT taste like the tieguanyin at all, safe to say.

3.5 grams to 100 ml gaiwan. Just off boiling water. 30 seconds to start.

The aroma of the amazingly thick, darker gold liquid that comes out of this is reminiscent of roasted floral oolong with notes of honey. The soup is rich, thick, and lingering in the mouth, with a very heavy buttery, mineral-y, honey taste, but without the intense sweetness of honey. There are also floral notes/tastes in the aftermath of the initial, as well as an increasing sweetness across the steeps. A lot like what I would expect nectar to taste like. Very interesting, I like the richness, I’ll be trying this again.

Flavors: Butter, Cream, Floral, Honey, Mineral

This is my first DHP, so take this with a grain of salt.

This tea is all right. I ordered a sample of it from a promotion the company was having, and was excited to see the package in my mailbox today. I steeped up the tea with 190 degree water, and sipped.

Roasty.

The first steep was good—intense roast on the front end and then fruitiness on the back. However, steeps 2-6 all just tasted like roasted leaves, without nice fruit flavor. I think this might be a freshly-roasted tea…? It’s just so dominated by this roast flavor, which is surprising because the leaves are pretty green. Ah well.

Later steeps are definitely better. The roast dies down a bit and the fruit and flowers come out a little. Still, I can’t help but think that for $40/100g, this tea is not worth the money. Would probably be better if I left it alone for a couple months and let the roast die down.

yyz

A lot of people do that with traditionally processed yancha. A know people who leave it for up to a year.

JWhisk

Not sure if I’m that patient, but I’m interested to see what it’s like in a few months!

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Aging this much more won’t do much, it was actually harvested about a year ago. You may just be thrown off by the roasted profile since this is your first DHP?

JWhisk

Could be, yeah. I’ll give it another shot in a little, I’ve still got 3.5g left. Thanks!

LuckyMe

I actually prefer this tea to regular DHP because it’s less roasty. Giving the tea a quick rinse also helps remove some of the “char”.

JWhisk

Cool, I’ll try it an see what happens

Imagine a milkshake. Now replace milk with flower nectar. Cover the top with cocoa. Add some salt. Shake. Warm up and add a little fruit juice to cool it down.

That is what this makes me think of.

Daylon R Thomas

I take that you like it? If so, glad I got you that sample. It’s a really good Yancha, very floral, cocoa like, and fruity like a Dan Cong. The price is outside my range for most Yan Cha’s, but it is definitely worth a sample.

Liquid Proust

If you’d like, I can send you some yancha that is way more expensive just so you can see what some of the stupid high end stuff is like; in case you’re curious, it is $2 per gram and I can only spare maybe 4g.

Rasseru

im tempted to try the EoT bei dou yi hao this year

Daylon R Thomas

Sure. There are so many samples I’m going to try from you. Not including the giant quantities of the other teas that I’ve asked for lol.

Rich

Just had some of this a few days ago, and I really liked it as well. Easy going.

TheOolongDrunk

I’m curious about this tea and have a few questions.

To start, what would you rate it? Is the quality worth the price tag? Also, would you recommend this oolong or order it again?

Again, thank you Brenden for letting me sample this!

I agree with LuckyMe and HaveTeaWillTravel entirely. It tastes just like a Mi Xiang Dan Cong with a slight Da Hong Pao sweetness. Followed the instructions exactly, and get most of the notes described but in fainter amounts. This could be due to the leaf amount I used, but the same consistencies are there. Chestnut, butter, and a bit of toasted coconut are in the first two steeps at five seconds. Almond is in every one of them including a taste really close to butternut squash. Mineral and oak are more in the next two at 10 and 20. Still almond like with barley and a bit of oak at 25 and 30. 45, I kinda get the white wine he was talking about or a light beer like taste without the sweetness. Oak and mineral are more obvious to me. Finally at 1 min and 30, and about the same but smoother and fuller bodied, yet otherwise very, very mellow.

Well, I quite enjoyed this tea. I’m really picky when it comes to Da Hong Pao because of how certain tastes, like oak or sugar, can dominate the cup. Here, it is incredibly mellow, relaxing, but focusing. I sampled this to see if I would like it enough to get an ounce, but I like the sample amount that I have. Doubtless worth a try to see the variety of forms Da Hong Pao comes in.

More for pickier tea drinkers and supertasters than newer drinkers. Some might like the nutty mellowness of it, or they might be bored. Yet that really needs to be decided after I try it Western.

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 3 g 5 OZ / 147 ML

Normally I’m not one for roasted teas and always underleaf because I find them too unbearable otherwise. Still I find myself being drawn to darker style oolongs lately for winter comfort. Wuyis are a perennial favorite yet it’s hard to find one that doesn’t taste like an ashtray. One of reasons I love this tea is because the delicate roast allows its wonderfully complex flavor to shine through.

The dry leaves in a warmed gaiwan exude an amazing fruity aroma. Wet leaf changes to a deep earthy aroma, like a wet forest after the rain, and produces a beautiful light amber liqueur. My first steep was smooth and rich. Soft roasted body, much lighter than a regular DHP. There’s some earthiness and mineral flavor there but not over the top. I’m getting some sweetness in there too. A very well-balanced cup.

The flavor really begins to pop at the second steep. This one is sweeter, and more mineral. The roastiness has faded as light florals begin to emerge and there is a pleasant honeyed aftertaste. It’s juicy, crisp, and clean. My favorite steep by far.

The next two steeps are fairly similar. The rock sugar sweetness intensifies and the tea flavors becomes clearer. I’m impressed by how full flavored the later steepings were even though it was brewed western style with just a pinch of leaves.

I had a Dan Cong earlier in the day and was struck by how much this tea resembled it with its honeyed sweetness, floral notes, and light roast.

I didn’t think it could get any better than WP’s regular Da Hong Pao but their Wildcrafted varietal is really on another level altogether. This is truly an incredible wuyi oolong and hands down the best I’ve ever had.

Flavors: Burnt Sugar, Fruity, Honey, Mineral, Roasted, Wet Wood

This is a nice unique take on the classic DHP. I’m always on the lookout for quality DHP, for there are so many sub-pars out there. However, this was unique and not nearly as roasted as most DHP. I opened the package and revealed some mostly green twisted knots with some darkened spots. I poured these grassy leaves into my Cha He and gave them a whiff. They gave off a light mineral and oak scent. I was picking up some faint roast with grassy tones of ivy. Lastly, I noted some crisp sweetness that lingered in the background. I poured a generous amount in my warmed gaiwan and gave it a shake. The warmed leaves was such a peculiar scent. The leaves gave off this warm buttered squash aroma, along with a light roast. This was such a new and delicious scent! I washed the leaves once and prepared for brewing. The steeped leaves aroma spread in so many different directions. I was picking up warm butternut squash, crisp grassy tones, smooth coconut water, and sweet nectar. This was an extremely aromatic brew. The flavor began as slightly herbaceous and sweet. I was picking up some faint barley and oak. The brew carried a full body with a lot of flavor. The taste was smooth and lasting with a lingering sweetness in the aftertaste. The leaves give the mouth a heavy oily feeling. This brew has a very nice warming qi that circulates throughout the body. I noted some astringency present in later steeping that complimented some pleasantly sour tones. This DHP has a lot of mouth feeling and tongue action. This is a brilliant combination of greener more luscious tones that blend well with the roasted yet sweet flavors. Personally, this is a very nice DHP and is quite a unique take on such a typically roasted brew.

Flavors: Butter, Butternut Squash, Coconut, Grass, Nectar, Oak wood, Smooth, Sweet

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

OMG! Amazing. This is like drinking silk. It is smooth and creamy. How does tea do that? It has a slight roast to it, in other words slightly less roasty than a few other DHP’s I have had and it is screaming with juicy flavor. I can never pick out the exact fruits, but juicy works for me. I really wanted to try the WP autumn jade and golden lilly so I might just have to order those and more of this. Yum.

keychange

the jade TGY from WP is to die for!

TeaTiff

Shhh, don’t say that:) I mean I really shouldn’t buy anymore, but it sounds so tasty.

Inkling

Ooo, this one sounds super tasty!

Thanks to boychik for this sample! Without your generosity, I would not have known to pick this one up, and now I happily have an ounce all to myself. This tea is awesome. It steeps up with a pretty orange color. It’s roasty and incredibly juicy! The flavor notes are complex, with toasted coconut, peach, and citrus. It’s incredibly aromatic and has a lasting aftertaste. Yum!