Shui Hsien Organic Oolong

Oolong Tea
Char, Roast nuts, Smoke, Walnut, Flowers, Hay, Malt, Toasted, Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by Cavocorax

From Zen Tea

Shui hsien(Shui Xian) is a very popular variety of Oolong tea and one of the common favorites among Gong Fu tea drinkers.

Shui Hsien oolongs are often harvested from Camellia sinensis trees that are over 100 years old in Fujian province of China. After harvest the leaves are skillfully twisted and roasted over a charcoal fire.
It has a soft, roasted, straw-like taste with a nutty aroma.
It is often brewed in the Gong Fu style, using multiple brief infusions.
Shui Hsien(Shui Xian, 水仙) meaning narcissus or water sprite.

Ingredients: Shui hsien oolong from Fujian, China
Preparation(1 cup): 1.5 teaspoon, 2-3 minutes, 90C(194F)

About Zen Tea View company

I made this and H&S’s Florence this morning and thought I’d better drink this one first before my taste buds were corrupted by nommy flavoured tea.

I wasn’t sure about this one, but figured it’s a sample and a quick sipdown so why not get on it? And it’s great! Why do I always forget how great non-black teas are?

This really smells like honey, and it’s sweet, and tastes a bit like straw and grass. This is really gentle and delicious. It’s also a little toasy! I immediately want 4 more cups!

I’ll have to re-order this from Zen or somewhere else!

How was the second steep?

How was the second steep?

Just as good! I could have kept going with it but work got in the way!

Hmmm why did that double post!
Oooh that happens to me alot. Makes me appreciate those times when I can keep going even more :D

This was a free sample that came with my Xmas order. :) :) :) I don’t usually go for oolongs overmuch, but this was great & hit the spot this morning. Trying to cut back on coffee.

This taste like a black tea, looks like a black tea, and smells like a black tea… but dang, it is good!
Strong and brisk cup of joy that wakes me up with every sip :)

Really enjoying this one.

mmmmm this is exactly what I needed after vacation. A nice smoky bold hot pot of tea. The small leaves are black twisted BOP. The aroma of the leaf is a dry nutty scent. I place a generous amount in my yixing, and I inhaled a smooth buttery roasted nut aroma. I brewed up numerous cups of this delicious brew. The liquor was a glistening crimson,, and the taste was so good! I could taste smoke, wood, walnuts, and a sweet smooth aftertaste. This was bomb!

Flavors: Char, Roast nuts, Smoke, Walnut

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 15 g 8 OZ / 250 ML
Liquid Proust

What color/shade was the leaf after a few brews?

The leaf was a dark oily green and purple. I mean like dark dark. A shade higher than black.

’Here’s Hoping’ Teabox Round #4 – Tea #11

Dark oolong for this dark weathered day. I don’t think I’ve seen dark oolongs like this one before. The leaves almost look like a black tea, rather than like a bundled green oolong that is roasted. Usually this type of tea is not to my taste, but this one is delicious. The light amber brew has a sweet, roasted, nutty, buttery flavor… not as distinctly charcoal flavored as a Fujian oolong typically is for me. So that’s a great thing! Less of the charcoal flavor and more of the good stuff! This one and one other Fujian oolong are the only two of this type of tea I could see stocking up on, so this is definitely high up there. The second steep is almost exactly the same in flavor. Western brewing is probably not the traditional way to go with this one, but it worked here. Very tasty!
Steep #1 // 15 minutes after boiling // 2 tsps. for 11 ounce mug // 2 minute steep
Steep #2 // few min after boiling // 2 -3 min

A Gong Fu favourite that I am steeping Western style for a change. Not sure if that is pure insanity, but right now I feel like a large pot of tea to use with my pot warmer.

The raw leaves are: long and flat with light twists and stems present, dark brown/red brown in colour and bares a toasted hay and floral scent.

Once steeped the tea liquor is burnt orange, it has a toasted hay, floral and malt scent, somewhat matching it’s raw form.

Strength is medium. I can taste toasted flowers and earth, sweet malt, wood and a subtle hint of smoke. It is rather mellow and smooth, with each flavour blending in well together to create a toasted and earthy mist in my mouth that lingers.

As it cools it becomes a little sour though remains consistent in flavour and strength. Also slightly dry now in the after taste.

Overall: It’s very pleasant, reminds me a little of Oriental Beauty Oolong but more mild. The flavours were pure and quality of the leaves were nice. However, my taste of darker Oolongs such as this one comes from comparison and this will unfortunately not be memorable. I’m also aware it could be down to the steeping, as it did mention to fare well from Gongfu Steeps.

Flavors: Flowers, Hay, Malt, Smoke, Toasted, Wood

195 °F / 90 °C 3 min, 0 sec 7 g 30 OZ / 900 ML

Sample size. This is nice, especially after heavy lunch. Roasted oolong, chestnuts, subtle sweetness. Would be perfect if they serve it in Chinese restaurant, many times tea is just gross there. I liked it.
Resteep was good and I decided to add tiny amt of maple syrup. Worked perfectly taming charcoal flavor.

3 min, 0 sec 3 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

Oh wow! exam tomorrow…. how do i do this quickly?

gong show week.
nevermind, gong show semester.
bought some zen teas because i’ve had to drop my caffeine… tried a chamomile blend? baaaaaaaaad call!
but they threw this is as a sample.
it’s amazing.

if my exam is half as amazing i’ll be very very happy!

Good luck!

xoxo thank you!!!! =0)

Fingers crossed!

what would i do without you guys?

Go out on the street and wait for… umm, politely demand people to wish you luck, duh. ;)

just wait til i’m at liberty to tell you about the nonsense that’s gone on this semester; suffice to say it provides incentive to NEVER let myself fall under the management of a person like this. double doctorate all the way— even if i lose my mind doing it.

you won’t believe my story…

Good luck

Good luck James!!! I kind of cringe for you. Please make sure that you are taking care of yourself. Glad your heading towards the end of the semester.

thank you!!! me too, yyz. sadly, i can’t wait until this semester is over =0(. truly… can someone hit fast forward?

Good luck!