drank Cloud and Mist by Mandala Tea

Even though fresh harvests of other green teas are becoming available, I went ahead and bought a 2020 harvest to satisfy the immediate desire for green tea.

The 25g didn’t last more than a few weeks after I opened it. I never took notes so this is a recollection and not the best one at that.

Found myself gravitating to brewing in a glass gaiwan and it lasted for many steeps. Thick, clean and sweet with quartzlike minerality and the following mild qualities: soybean and soy-milkiness, green chestnut astringency, raw asparagus bitterness and a lemony citrus tone to balance. Very gentle honeysuckle floral quality. Sometimes I’d get fleeting peach. There is a moderate herbal note like anise-tarragon. I like those green, pungent notes that come out when brewing with a higher leaf to water ratio.

Grandpa is thick, mild and juicy. Western brings more astringency and florality.

A good tea if the time it took me to drink through 25g is a testament to my enjoyment. Recommended as a good, clean and solid green tea that takes well to different methods, though I never did try upping the temperature. I can’t believe it’s been 5 years since this tea was last reviewed.

Flavors: Anise, Asparagus, Chestnut, Cookie, Herbs, Honeysuckle, Lemon, Milk, Mineral, Peach, Soybean, Sweet, Sweet, Warm Grass, Thick

Cameron B.

I feel like Mandala has fallen out of favor? I remember them being much more popular a few years ago!

derk

Idk if they’ve fallen out of favor in the world outside internet tea talk. Mandala has provided nothing but good tea, great shou, a phenomenal first sheng experience and a personal, kind demeanor. They were one of the first online vendors I bought from and while I’ve ventured to many others in the past 4 years, I felt a sense of coming home with my most recent order.

Mastress Alita

I could not live without their Smart Soak! Only thing that takes flavor funk off my infusers, thermoses, etc.

tea-sipper

It looks like Mandala has a website again? I thought they didn’t for a while, like ordering through e-mail or something?

Garret

HI there! Mandala Tea has been rockin’ the whole time. We did do a switch from one platform to another back in 2016 and were down for a couple of weeks. Lots of new pressings of pu’er over the last two years and more on the way.

Comments

Cameron B.

derk