Banana Tie Guan Yin

Fruit Oolong Blend
Freeze Dried Banana Slices, Natural Flavours, Oolong Tea
banana, Creamy, Floral, Fruity, Nutty, Sweet, Vegetal, Banana, Cream, Mineral, Caramel, Butter, Bitter, Astringent, Vanilla
Medium
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Shae

From 52teas

Tea of the Week for October 12, 2015!

While scanning some of the reviews appearing on Steepster – as I often do – I came across a review for one of the older Oolong Teas produced by 52Teas and although it wasn’t a banana flavored Oolong, they mentioned that they taste banana flavors in the tea. So, I thought, hey, why not a Banana Oolong?

Sounds good to me! I thought it might sound good to you too. So I went ahead and made it – and I’m very pleased with the result – really yummy! The banana is strong but doesn’t overpower the sweet, luscious, lightly floral notes and hints of nutty flavor from the TieGuanYin. I love the way the tea and flavor meld – really nice!

All Organic Ingredients: Oolong Tea, Freeze Dried Bananas & Natural Flavors.

Steep: 1 of tea to 12 oz. 180°F water. Steep 2-4 minutes. Allow tea to cool 5-6 minutes after brewing for best flavor.

About 52teas View company

This is delicious cold brewed or hot. Tie Guan Yins are one of my favourite teas.

Flavors: banana, Creamy, Floral, Fruity, Nutty, Sweet, Vegetal

Iced

This is so perfect. I should’ve picked up more, especially considering I got dinged for Duty by Canada-US Customs and won’t be ordering again for a looooong time because I’m so mad (yet, I’m already fighting the compulsion to order a giant pouch of this).

Seriously though, the world needs more creamy banana with brightly floral tieguanyin. This is a jackpot blend for my taste buds. I look forward to resteeping and savouring all 12g of this.

Steep Count: 4

(2017 holiday reblend)

Flavors: Banana, Cream, Floral, Mineral

Evol Ving Ness

To be dinged by Customs with already worrying about the poor exchange AND shipping sucks. A lot.

CrowKettle

They didn’t even end up charging me for anything in the parcel- just the inconvenience of holding and handling for $13 CAD. Not impressed.

Mastress Alita

I hate to admit it, but it’s all the US/Canada customs horror stories which is why I personally won’t ship over the border. I once really needed a medical device from Canada (had more settings and didn’t require a script for it in Canada) but I knew the shipping would be evil part when my good online friend up there agreed to get it for me when I sent her the money for it. She brought it with her on a visit to friends in Michigan, then shipped it to me after she was stateside. Honestly, though, it shouldn’t have to be that difficult…

Evol Ving Ness

I have had A LOT of tea coming from the States and all without incident. However, out of dozens, one batch got dinged and I won’t be ordering from that company again.

CrowKettle

I’ve been ordering across border semi-regularly since 2011 and never payed duty. Going by the paper slip they sent me and the original customs declaration, I honestly don’t know how they justified it here. The tea companies I love right now are so limited right now that I’d be pretty choked to cut out 52teas. I’ll probably give it another shot and if it happens again it will be a PO box for me!

@Mastress Alita, glad that worked out and that you had such an amazing contact! The hassle can be real.

mrmopar

It is more about how the declaration on the customs paperwork is I think. If you list something as a gift and list the value as low I think it will bypass the duties.

this sounds yummy….

Fjellrev

That sucks, CrowKettle! I’m lucky that so far I haven’t been charged for any tea orders, however, I’ve been dinged 2-3 times for ColourPop (and maaaybe another cosmetics order from somewhere else…) so I stopped ordering from them. Definitely all the more frustrating when we are already dealing with a weak dollar.

Evol Ving Ness

If the value is listed at under a 100, it should be fine. It is the over 100 purchases that seem to raise eyebrows at the border.

CrowKettle

Yeah, it was listed well below 100 ($29) so it’s a mystery to me. Oh, well!

!!!!!!

Likely a random spot check then. Boo! And here I thought that I had things figured out. Luck of the draw then.

Evol Ving Ness

Certainly an uncertain world.

Fjellrev

Hmm, just checked and my Colourpop orders were all 40-60 USD, yet they got me anyway.

Evol Ving Ness

When did this dinging take place?

I am wondering whether it might have something to do with the orange debacle’s more recent attack on us— tariffs etc?

Starfevre

“the orange debacle” LOL

Evol Ving Ness

hahaha, and that it more of my more polite euphemisms.

I love a banana tea, but I prefer my banana flavor be that of ripened bananas. The banana flavor in this tea was a bit…erm…green. It wasn’t full-on unripened banana. It reminded me of those times when you buy a bunch of a bananas that don’t quite ripen fast enough…but you have a hankering for a banana so you eat it, even those it’s still a bit green.

I’m also a bit iffy when it comes to oolong teas. I can count, on one hand, the oolong blends that I’ve actually enjoyed enough to drink more than just one cuppa. The oolong base for this blend is a little bit too mineral for my tastes. That quality combined with the flavor of unripened bananas just did not work well for me.

Sad times.

Flavors: banana, Mineral

Banana and oolong. A favorite and a new friend together in one tasty tea.

My internet went out yesterday so a few teas to backlog. This is a really lovely tea – i love the banana blend with the tie guan yin – i’d love more banana flavouring, but even without more banana flavouring, i am still loving this one.

I did actually follow the brewing instructions this time (although, it did cool down a lot longer than 5-8 minutes before I drank it.. The tea was a much lighter color than I’d expected.

The banana is strong with this one. For that matter, so is the bitter. They clash, but at the same time, I’m kind of enjoying it. I… don’t really know what to think of this one. I like the banana, and I like the Tie Guan Yin… I just keep going back and forth on whether I like them together. It’s almost like I have two cups of tea, and I’m alternating taking sips from each one, and letting them mingle in my mouth. They’re just not coming together.

Note, if I take a giant gulp, rather than sipping at it, I actually get a more balanced flavor. In fact, the longer I drink this tea, the more I like it!

I think I’m going to try a second brewing at a slightly lower temperature, see if I can bring out the sweeter side of the Tie Guan Yin. I think that would go better with the banana.

Flavors: banana, Bitter

Good, but not my ultimate banana tea. I like the base, as well as the banana, but I think I would prefer a creamier base oolong (shanlinxi?) and butterscotchy flavours. The banana is a bit on the unripe side, which IMO, is perfect (conversely, in Hot Buttered Banana Bread, it tastes very ripe, which is excellent). Does not taste like banana runts the way that banana teas often do (this makes me happy).

Only really got through a few sips before leaving work (meant to go back but didn’t end up doing so tonight), so these are just my first impressions.

Boiling

Backlog from October 7th:

This is such a unique tea. It’s the first banana tea I’ve ever tasted and I was amazed at just how authentic it smells. It’s not as much fresh, ripe banana to me as it is banana pudding. I actually get a sense of the vanilla wafers alongside sliced bananas and creamy pudding.

The blend is made up of tightly coiled tea with large pieces of real banana. Some of the pieces are as big as a butter mint candy. The tea brews up so lovely. It’s a light golden color with a faint banana fragrance. I’m not the biggest fan of oolong in general but this is really nice. The banana flavor is jut barely there but in the right way. It’s refreshing and delicate. Just really something special.

Second Steep
8 ounces water + 180 degrees + 4 minutes

After the first steep, the leaves have unfurled and now look like deep green kale. There are still a couple of chunks of banana holding strong. I’m not sure if the banana flavor is actually from the fruit or the natural flavorings, but it’s nice to see that the fruit hasn’t completely disintegrated in any case. I allowed this cup to rest for 6 minutes after steeping just as I did the first cup. Even with the same steep time, the color was just as dark as my initial cup. The banana flavor is not present for me in this cup. The aroma is more vegetal in both leaf and liquid and there is a bit of astringency now. Still a fine and flavorful cup.

Flavors: Astringent, Banana, Creamy, Vanilla, Vegetal