Brownie Batter with Nut Butter Swirl

Cocoa, Chocolate, Nutty, Roasted nuts, Salty
Edit tea info Last updated by 52Teas

• “I was very curious about how this would compare to Chocolate Eclair, which I’m mildly obsessed with. Also, I recall sunflower seeds in another blend, and I actually liked it, but I can’t for the...” Read full tasting note
  • “Eh, not my favourite chocolate blend from 52Teas. There is some nice cocoa, but it wasn’t as rich as I would have liked. It also could have used more vanilla and some creamy or cake flavour. The...” Read full tasting note
  • “Sipdown (640)! A share from VariaTEA, and one that I was curious about when it originally came out but not enough to really pounce on it. I’m grateful to get to try it out now. It’s actually kind...” Read full tasting note
  • “Straight up sunflower seed tea! That’s what this is for me. The chocolate isn’t too apparent, but there’s a depth to the black tea that I really like. I’m not the biggest black tea fan, but of the...” Read full tasting note

From 52teas

This tea started out as another idea in mind but after the first taste test, I enjoyed it so much that I decided I needed to just keep it as is and simply rename it! So please forgive the fact that this tea seems a little less ‘holiday’ inspired. This year, we’re leaving brownies out for Old Saint Nick!

I started with an organic blend of black teas (Yunnan, Assam & Ceylon) and added cacao nibs & shells, some sunflower seeds for a nutty appearance and a touch of salt, and some peanut butter essence (as well as some calendula petals for a touch of pretty)!

The result is a creamy chocolate flavor with a hint of peanut butter & sunflower. The combination of the peanut butter extract (don’t worry – this is allergen-free, even those with peanut allergies can enjoy this!) and the sunflower seeds creates a taste that tastes like peanut butter AND sunflower seed butter. Yummy!

ingredients: roasted & salted sunflower seeds

organic ingredients: black teas, cacao nibs, cacao shells, sunflower seeds, calendula petals & natural flavors

About 52teas View company

I was very curious about how this would compare to Chocolate Eclair, which I’m mildly obsessed with. Also, I recall sunflower seeds in another blend, and I actually liked it, but I can’t for the life of me remember which one it was. Opening the packet, this smelled a little… rancid? Or just bitter or something. Either it’s its age showing or it’s because I was expecting a sweeter pecan-y nutty scent, as I completely forgot that this had sunflower seeds.

With milk, the sunflower seeds are quite strong. Definitely the strongest note, even stronger than the chocolate. I like sunflower seeds, and I recall them working with whichever previous blend I’ve had, but for some reason it’s not really working here.

I’m very glad to have gotten this in my mystery bag though. Those are always fun.

Eh, not my favourite chocolate blend from 52Teas. There is some nice cocoa, but it wasn’t as rich as I would have liked. It also could have used more vanilla and some creamy or cake flavour. The sunflower seeds do give a bit of nutty flavour, but unfortunately don’t convey the same taste as peanut or almond butter (but are allergen free, which is the point).

Flavors: Cocoa

Sipdown (640)!

It’s actually kind of freaky how perfectly this tastes like what it’s named after; very fudgey, decadent chocolate notes in the top of the sip followed by undertones and a finish that’s really creamy and nutty. I think it tastes more like cashew butter than anything else, but with a little bit of almond to it as well. I think it’s technically sunflower, though? Regardless – it’s a REALLY scary good recreation. Now, that said, do I love it? Well, no. I mean, I’m totally living for the nutty elements but chocolate teas have never been my forte and while I think this is a really solid one it’s not the type of thing that I go nuts over – pun semi intended.

Thanks for the share! It was great scratching that itch of curiosity!

Straight up sunflower seed tea! That’s what this is for me. The chocolate isn’t too apparent, but there’s a depth to the black tea that I really like. I’m not the biggest black tea fan, but of the bunch this is a really nice one. Call me crazy, but the seed flavor is making me taste salt. It’s such a unique flavor for a tea!

Flavors: Chocolate, Nutty, Roasted nuts, Salty

Another from my mystery bag. Got to love those mystery bags. ‘Nut butter’ seems to be some new sort of fad I vaguely am aware of? I’m not sure why cookies might need butter. ha. But here the nut butter is included in brownie batter. I don’t usually eat brownie batter because of the eggs. But you know what is delicious? Bisquick batter for shortcake. No eggs! I don’t think this tea could magically taste like brownie BATTER rather than baked brownies, but that’s fine! I love that both cocoa nibs and shells are included, but I didn’t really see too many of the shells. Cocoa shells alone would have been fine! The sunflower seeds in these blends are okay, but not really nut buttery. I think the seeds might get stale a bit fast, but I like they have a salty flavor that isn’t usually found in tea. The black tea blend is delicious as usual with these flavors. The second steep is slightly brisk and less chocolate. There is a nice balance of chocolate and salty sunflower seeds here but I don’t think the flavor could possibly be as delicious as the name sounds!
Steep #1 // 1 heaping teaspoon for a full mug// 12 minutes after boiling // 3 minute steep
Steep #2 // just boiled // 4 minute steep

Workshop continues. Exhausting. Went to bed extremely early last night and woke up at the crack of dawn to indulge myself in one of my favourite vices before heading out again.

Second cup of this. Brownie, as in chocolate, missing altogether. However, I am getting the sunflower seed taste. Not quite what the name indicates. In the second steep, the sunflower seed flavour turns into generic nuttiness, vaguely walnut or pecan.

I had higher expectations of this one, but I will keep trying. We’ll see.

had my las of this today in an effort to clean up some samples before i get around to organising my cupboard for 2018. A decent cup, but i still want this to be much more indulgent than it is. Happy to try it though :)

I’m trying this blend a day late because I just couldn’t manage to give it a go yesterday.

We have officially begun our descent into EOY fundraising chaos, and, since we’ve got the entire week off for Christmas, it’s been a frantic and frustrating week (and it’s only Wednesday!). In the past week, I’ve spent nearly $400 out-of-pocket for poorly planned and mismanaged work-related projects, and I pray to sweet baby Jesus I’m reimbursed at the end of the month.

That said, when I finally sat down long enough to even think about a cup of tea yesterday, I was craving something comforting. The steeping instructions had given me hope that I’d be enjoying a lovely black tea in a matter of minutes. Unfortunately, after scratching off the label, I realized that I’d have to turn to some of the Harney samples in my desk drawer instead.

Again with the sunflower seeds…ugggggggggggh…

Needless to say, I powered through the cuppa today (day 7). My motivation was the tea intended for today, Crisp Cranberry Soda (one of my favorites from last year), waiting in the wings.

Hot and straight up, I smell, almost exclusively, black tea and sunflower seeds. That’s just about all I can taste as well. There’s a chocolate note there, but, unfortunately, it’s quite light. Since the chocolate flavor is easily overpowered by the sunflower seeds, this tastes less like an indulgent brownie batter and more like chocolate covered sunflower seeds.

Another miss for me.

I met with Sil today which means I have my teabento and What-Cha teas and as I logged each into my steepster cupboard, I got more and more excited about trying them. However, one really called to me and that was Jiri Horse. I had to see just how milk chocolate-y it really was and though it maybe wasn’t as chocolate-y as I expected, it was still very good.

Now I am moving on to the 6th tea of Christmas which is also quite good. It is a lot more nut than anything else, at least in the first few sips, though the nut flavor is also creamy which helps sell the “nut butter” element even if it is a touch too sunflower-y at times.

Once you get past the nut, there is a fudgyness to this that really does make me think or brownies. So both elements come across though, at least for my tastes, a little unbalanced. Still a very nice tea, though one I probably wouldn’t drink as much as some other 52Teas blends such as Rocky Road. Again, that is just my personal preference. Although, maybe as a latte…

drink jiri horse before it cools…the flavour really changes as it cools i find at least.

VariaTEA

So just chug really fast and burn my face? Got it :P. But actually I steeped it at 190F but should I use hitter water?

VariaTEA

*hotter

i use near boiling…“french press” setting. and no don’t burn your face haha