Assam Tea, Black Pepper, Cacao, Flavouring, Indian Black Tea, Pineapple
Cherry Wood, Earth, Pepper, Pineapple, Tobacco, Vanilla
High
Edit tea info Last updated by apieceofquiche

From August Uncommon Tea

Tastes Like: cigar leaf, black pepper, ripe pineapple
Feels Like: a cuban bolero

The climate of the Cuban coast is gripping even just after daybreak. Strains of lovelorn boleros rise and fall in your ears. The scent of tobacco and sticky sweet tropical flowers hangs heavy in the air. The aroma of this tea envelops you with warm tobacco notes and cocoa-scented orchid. As you sip, the earthy cigar flavor yields to juicy sun-ripened pineapple. It finishes on a deep spicy note. A touch of milk mellows its spiciness and brings out the floral sweetness of pineapple. This is a place where everything conspires to make time pass in deliberate slowness, enchanting you with nostalgia.

A tea for deliciously passionate mornings.

Ingredients: assam tea, south indian black tea, cacao shell, black pepper, dried pineapple, flavoring

About August Uncommon Tea View company

LET IT BE KNOWN that I’m just here to post a note and then I’ll likely disappear again. Hello! Goodbye!

This tea. I’m blaming Dexter for this. But it was a free sample, so I suppose that’s ok.

It smells like cacao shells and pineapple when I sniff it dry. Really chocolatey and fruity. So nice. The most interesting notes are tobacco. So, for example, when you have a really nice pipe tobacco and it smells earthy and rich and fruity. Like that. Not like smoke. Tobacco as a perfume fragrance is never smoke. This is what it evokes. Vanilla and warm woods. Sweet fruits. Cacao shell (similar to chocolate, but not the same).

So good.

Steeped, and sipping it, the pepper comes out. It’s a really nice flavour. Still the vanilla and warm woods and juicy fruit, some cacao shells (but not enough for me right now… I find cacao shells smell more than they tend to taste), delicious black tea.

I’m having it with some milk, which might take down the pepper somewhat.

I really like this tea. I might be considering an order. Which is weird. Because I think I’ve spent $30 on tea in the last 8 months.

Flavors: Cherry Wood, Earth, Pepper, Pineapple, Tobacco, Vanilla

Dexter

All I did was mention that you could get a free sample…. I’m not sure this was my fault :) Happy you like it.

OMGsrsly

It’s that lure. Free. :D

I didn’t try this one…went with the herbal…. opinions on whether this might be up my alley?

Roswell Strange

I need to try this one again; it was so drastically not what I’d expected that I think my first impression was definitely prejudiced. Interesting that @OMGsrsly didn’t get as much cacao as she wanted. I almost thought the chocolate was too strong.

OMGsrsly

Idk that there will be enough pineapple for you, Sil, but it’s a really neat combination. The pineapple is a good one imo.

Roswell, I’m just undergoing some massive chocolate cravings right now. Haha. I’m sure if I try the tea in a week I will find the chocolate to be ‘enough’.

I definitely like this tea better with milk, but then, I’m a milky tea person.

Cold Brew…

Copy & Paste is my friend right now ’cause I am HELLA sleepy.

- Strong tropical pineapple notes: almost candy like?
- Rich, smooth cocoa notes
- The pairing is nicer this time around since I’m expecting it
- Black pepper is light but present; tail of the sip

This was my black tea in my order from August (I would have ordered Leatherbound if they’d had it in stock, but I had to settle for this one). Man, am I glad! This tea smells quite rough and pungent (my husband said they pretty much nailed the tobacco smell), and there’s a slight burnt aroma, like someone grilled the pineapple, which sounds awesome. It’s also got one of the best pineapple smells I’ve ever gotten from a tea (Lupicia’s was slightly better, but this one is a very close second). I had very high hopes, and I was not disappointed. We sweetened this one, because it seemed like the right thing to do, between wanting to bring out the pineapple flavoring and tone down the overall edginess. It was all at once punchy and smooth, sweet and spicy, with a flavor that reminded me of almond extract that oddly helped to marry the tobacco and the pineapple. This was absolutely delicious, and unique. I may have to reorder this one.

I’m currently sipping my second steep of this blend. The first steep had a bit too much spice for me. There’s just enough black pepper to tickle the back of your throat and make you question the list of ingredients. There aren’t many ingredients, but the blend manages to taste quite complex without thirty ingredients and additives (I’m looking at you DT). I’ll admit that I couldn’t really get through the first cuppa hot. Pineapple and spice are really iffy ingredients for me, but the combination sounded so intriguing. I ended up adding a few ice cubes to the rest of my first cuppa and that was much more pleasant. The black pepper was still present but was more tolerable and the sweetness of the dried pineapple seemed a bit more apparent.

The second steep is better because the spice has been tamed a bit but the pineapple flavor has also significantly diminished.

I don’t think I like it enough to go for a third steep.

Again, lovely black tea base that’s very smooth and easy to drink.

I think I’ll cold-steep the rest of my sample packet.