Black Fruit Blend
Assam Tea, Clove, Flavor, Lemon Peel, Mallow Flowers, Nutmeg
Bergamot, Citrus, Clove, Floral, Fruity, Lemon, Lychee, Pepper, Pleasantly Sour, Plum, Spices, Tart, Malt, Stonefruit, Artificial, Candy, Bitter, Perfume, Tannin, Blackberry, Citrus Zest, Cloves, Flowers, Nutmeg, Prune, Dried Fruit, Lemon Zest, Orange, Raisins, Lavender
Bulk, Loose Leaf
High
Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

2 Images

• “I’m drinking this with milk, and I feel pretty medium toward it. I taste the clove and maybe something fruity or like bergamot? It’s not super clear or delicious, just kind of there? As I keep...” Read full tasting note
  • “I wish I could vote ‘Sorta’ rather than a No or Yes on my recommendation. The first infusion was super bitter. I followed the directions but it came out so bitter that it hid the clove and plum...” Read full tasting note
  • “It was one of those mornings where, actually having the time to properly prepare a cup of tea without having to be in a rush out the door for work, I stood in front of my massive tea collection and...” Read full tasting note
  • “I find it odd that August Uncommon markets this as an Earl Grey, because I barely taste the bergamot at all! But once I got over my disappointment at this not really being a flavored Earl Grey, I...” Read full tasting note

From August Uncommon Tea

Vibrant black tea with bergamot, plum and clove

If you’re an Earl Grey fan, you’ll love Metropolitan. It’s a sophisticated spin on the classic black tea with bergamot. We’ve added whole cloves and plum pieces to create a new level of delicious complexity.

INGREDIENTS: assam tea, nutmeg, serbian plum, lemon peel, clove, mallow flower, flavoring

TASTES LIKE: bitter orange zest, neroli flower, tart black plum, blackberry, clove
FEELS LIKE: sparkling conversation on a city terrace

VEGANGLUTEN FREENON GMO

About August Uncommon Tea View company

I’m drinking this with milk, and I feel pretty medium toward it. I taste the clove and maybe something fruity or like bergamot? It’s not super clear or delicious, just kind of there? As I keep drinking this, most flavor disappears and it’s just sort of lightly flavored black tea with no particular character. The resteep tastes pretty strongly of clove. I just feel like this one isn’t up to AU’s usual standards.

Mastress Alita

The concept of this one sounded so good, but I also found it way too heavy-handed with the clove.

Please keep things friendly and .

I wish I could vote ‘Sorta’ rather than a No or Yes on my recommendation. The first infusion was super bitter. I followed the directions but it came out so bitter that it hid the clove and plum notes. I didn’t put in any honey but I sure did with the following infusions. By the third infusion, the taste had calmed down enough and I have adjusted my amount of honey to finally enjoy the tea.

While I like AUT, this isn’t one that I will repurchase. They have too many others that I do like better.

Please keep things friendly and .

It was one of those mornings where, actually having the time to properly prepare a cup of tea without having to be in a rush out the door for work, I stood in front of my massive tea collection and couldn’t decided what I wanted. When I saw my two sampler pouches of this in the (almost empty now) flavored black teas sampler bag, I decided I really was in an Earl Grey mood.

I actually do smell the plum and clove from the dry leaf… and something coming across peppery? Lazily scooped one perfect teaspoon leaf instead of measuring grams like I usually do, steeped in 350ml 205F water for three minutes. The steeped leaf smelled more strongly of a lemony/bergamot citrus. The brewed up has a very appealing aroma; beramot, plum, and spices.

Mmm… this is interesting, and I like it! To me, it tastes like an Earl Grey and a Mulled Wine tea had a child, and those are both tea types I really like. There is a deep fruitiness to the cup; I do taste plum, but it is also reading a little like lychee to me, since I’m getting a slight floral undertone. The bergamot is pretty pervasive and fills the sip, with a crisp, citrusy, and slightly tart/sour lemon note. When the berg settles on the touch, there is a strong aftertaste of spices; I taste the clove, but the nutmeg is reading to me as more of a black pepper taste.

Perhaps a strange combination of flavors but it’s working for me… and it feels nice to get to lazily sip on a warm cup of tea, taking my time and savoring the sips!

In other tea news, I recently bought one of those CO2 infusing “soda” machines to experiment with my cold teas. The first one I tried (B&B’s Peppermint Cream) tasted questionable, but I looooooooove TeaSource’s vanilla black, Moon Over Madegascar, that way! Looking forward to experimenting with other teas (I have some of Lupicia’s Ramune tea to try next!)

Flavors: Bergamot, Citrus, Clove, Floral, Fruity, Lemon, Lychee, Pepper, Pleasantly Sour, Plum, Spices, Tart

teepland

I’ve never considered carbonating a cold tea, but that sounds like a wonderful idea! I will have to try that with our machine. I hope you’ll share some that you try and it turns out well!

Mastress Alita

Right now I’m having the French tea I made yesterday (my leftovers from work went into the fridge to get ice cold). It was called C’est Sympathique and supposedly was melon-flavored, but has a strong tart lemony taste to me. That strong, bright citrus flavor also tastes really good carbonated.

Please keep things friendly and .

I find it odd that August Uncommon markets this as an Earl Grey, because I barely taste the bergamot at all! But once I got over my disappointment at this not really being a flavored Earl Grey, I do like it for what it is: a strongly-flavored plum and clove black tea. The clove can be a bit overpowering (I’ve learned not to get more than 1 whole clove in my infuser!) but brewed correctly, this is a lovely balance of fruit and spice on a malty black base that resteeps beautifully. I don’t love this one as much as some of the others in this sampler pack (looking at you, Low Country and Silencio!) but I definitely enjoyed getting the chance to try it.

Flavors: Clove, Malt, Plum, Spices, Stonefruit

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

Please keep things friendly and .

I had a cup of this earlier and was so pleasantly surprised! I had tried this once before, when it first came in, and didn’t like it at all. It was too strong (my fault for using too much tea) and gave me an awful headache with its strong aroma. The bergamot caught my eye today so I thought, why not? I’m glad I gave it another chance. Really delicious.

Please keep things friendly and .

I’m not loving this. It has an odd, familiar medicinal note that I can’t place. Perhaps it’s the plum combined with the clove? The base itself is pretty abrasive as well, which makes for a pretty abrasive sip.

Please keep things friendly and .

I like August teas, but this one tastes like Listerine. It’s the one and only time in my life that I am throwing out a canister of tea. It’s fugly!

gmathis

Well, hello there! Good to see you! I hate tossing tea, too…got a plant that you can fertilize with it? :)

ashmanra

Doulton? Is it really you? Welcome back! We have missed you!

Please keep things friendly and .

I’m not sure about this one. It tastes like I’ve bitten into one of those Xmas decoration oranges. The ones that are covered in cloves. It tastes a lot less bergamot to me and way more orange peel. It’s hard to get past the orange clove combo and taste anything else. Clove can be dominating that way. Adding cream killed the flavors. I’d like to try different steeping parameters next time.

Please keep things friendly and .

…what a weird tea this is.

It sounds good in theory, I love plum and enjoy bergamot. But the plum here is very odd and candylike, and a bit chalky. The bergamot and clove combination becomes very perfumey.

Overall, it’s a weird artificial and medicinal mix and the rest of the sample is getting tossed. A shame, this was one of their teas that I was most interested in.

Flavors: Artificial, Bitter, Candy, Clove, Perfume, Plum, Tart

Courtney

Oh my, this one sounds bleh.

Cameron B.

I feel like the flavor combination could be good, sort of the like a mulled spice Earl Grey, if only the plum flavoring wasn’t so very weird…

Roswell Strange

Plum is notoriously one of the hardest flavors to get right using flavouring – along with caramel. They just never taste correct.

Cameron B.

I was fairly pleased with the plum notes in DF’s Noël à Saint-Petersbourg that I had recently, but this one definitely misses the mark.

Courtney

I’ve been generally impressed with all of DF’s flavourings. I am fairly picky about flavoured teas, but theirs seem to really hit the mark!

Please keep things friendly and .

Looks like I’m the odd one out. I almost didn’t order this due to the less-than-stellar reviews, but I’m so glad I did! It is very fragrant and heavy on the clove and plum especially. A little floral but not overwhelming. That plum note is so syrupy, like candy, and the clove is very present but not to the point that it feels like your tongue is falling asleep. Plus the orange peel contributes to that candy vibe. The description mentions that EG lovers would love this, and while I’m an EG fan, I don’t see much of a similarly between the two flavour profiles.