Earl Grey Creme

Blue Cornflowers, Ceylon Black Tea, Natural Flavours, Vanilla
Bergamot, Citrus, Cream, Malt, Citrusy, Vanilla
Loose Leaf, Sachet
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.
Boiling 3 min, 45 sec 10 oz / 299 ml

Available from 1 seller.

• “This is going to be a rubbishy first entry for this tea, I’m sorry!! I chose this as one of my samples from Bluebird Tea Co because I have a big heart on for Earl Greys, and my all time favorite EG...” Read full tasting note
  • “I’m so excited to try a new earl grey creme. I still haven’t found my ultimate creamy earl grey, but it isn’t really a pressing matter… just one of those things that I would like to accomplish one...” Read full tasting note
  • “I’m not going to rate this tea. I got it as a sample with my Bluebird order. I have no idea if this is a good, great or just ok earl grey. My taste of it tonight just confirms that earl grey is...” Read full tasting note
  • “Sampler Sipdown September! I work this Saturday, and with no kettle at work anymore (at least, not until I can ask our building manager to inspect the power sockets, I swear something is...” Read full tasting note

From Bird & Blend Tea Co.

Award-winning, fresh + fragrant vanilla Earl Grey tea.

Don’t we wish prime ministers today were as good as the ones in the good old days? Take PM Earl Grey, he was the cream of the crop. Not only did he help abolish slavery and reform the House of Commons, he also invented the legendary Earl Grey tea! So we’ve created this delicious black loose leaf tea tribute just for you old chap!

Ceylon black tea, vanilla pieces, blue cornflowers, natural flavouring

About Bird & Blend Tea Co. View company

This is going to be a rubbishy first entry for this tea, I’m sorry!!

I chose this as one of my samples from Bluebird Tea Co because I have a big heart on for Earl Greys, and my all time favorite EG is Davidstea’s Cream of Earl Grey, which is very creamy and yummy. I have yet to meet a bergamot tea that I haven’t truly enjoyed. If I go out somewhere and need tea quick, I always go for an EG teabag when possible, as it’s pretty hard to mess up, hard for me to find one I don’t enjoy.

I did enjoy this one as well, though I think I oversteeped it. My boss got to chatting with me and it went on for more than 4 minutes for sure, as a result this ended up very strong and not overly creamy. I did drink it, but I had to go to the kitchen to get some milk to dilute it a bit.

I will try a second steep with my leaves, but it may be too weak after having steeped for so long the first time. I wasn’t getting much cream flavor out of this but I definitely blame that on my oversteep. Well on my supervisor, really. Haha.

Soooo I have nothing more to really say, I feel like it could have been good, but I screwed it up. I had really wanted to try another EG Cream since I like the DT one so much.

I will reserve a rating for now and if the second steep turns out I will update accordingly, but if not I will just chalk this up to a crappy steep, way to go, me!

Thanks again for the sample though, Bluebird Tea Co!

ETA Hullo, I’m baaaack. Just wanted to add that I did make a second cup of this using the same leaves, and it retained an impressive amount of flavor. I think had I not oversteeped it the first time I’d have a better idea of it, but the creaminess came out when it wasn’t accidentally left too long. I will withhold my rating and let you do it properly to judge for yourself :)

I’m so excited to try a new earl grey creme. I still haven’t found my ultimate creamy earl grey, but it isn’t really a pressing matter… just one of those things that I would like to accomplish one day. The scent reminds me a little bit of fruity pebbles, which isn’t a bad thing because it’s been YEARS since I’ve had the stuff and actually wish that I had a bowl right now.

Sipping… this is very smooth and light and so very tasty! I think that this is the closest I’ve come to finding my perfect earl grey creme. The bergamot in this tea is definitely toned down and is actually just a wisp of a thing. This is just fine with me because it’s present, but isn’t that sharp, bitter note that typically screams in earl grey. There is a lovely vanilla flavor that is wrapped so tightly around the tea base itself, I can’t tell where one begins! The finish is slightly astringent and it leaves your throat feeling a little bit dry, but it’s not enough to be a bother.

I’m looking forward to placing an order with Bluebird Tea Co. (probably next on my list as soon as I drink down some of my collection) and this blend will definitely find its way into my basket.

I’m not going to rate this tea. I got it as a sample with my Bluebird order. I have no idea if this is a good, great or just ok earl grey. My taste of it tonight just confirms that earl grey is not for me.

Sampler Sipdown September! I work this Saturday, and with no kettle at work anymore (at least, not until I can ask our building manager to inspect the power sockets, I swear something is overheating my kettles…) I just grabbed one of the single-serve sampler teabags I’ve received as order freebies to put in a thermos and take with me as I headed out. This one came from a past Bird & Blend order, sometime back in their Bluebird Tea Co. days. I was feeling in an Earl Grey mood today.

This was very nice. Earl Grey is a tea that took me some getting used to (bergamot was not a flavor I took to instantly) so I don’t like Earl Greys that have really overbearing bergamot, nor do I like Earl Greys with a really strong, biting, astringent black tea base. I find I’m not having either problem with this blend. The base is hardy but not bitter, and any astringency left from the Ceylon after the sip is fairly mild. The bergamot seems to be pleasant for my tastes, leaving a noticable touch but not so strong that it is overbearing on the tea or downright sour. The touch of vanilla creaminess likely helps, as it adds that touch of counter-balancing sweetness to the citrus that ties it together nicely. I do wish I had milk here at work to create more of a creamy mouthfeel and amp up the creaminess/sweetness a bit (I do love me a nice London Fog!) but even plain, this is a nice cuppa. And hey, I found a leftover chocolate donut in the breakroom! Score! The chocolate goes nicely, I must say.

Flavors: Bergamot, Citrus, Cream, Malt

I made this the last time I was in Florida and I am hoping that it was the lack of my usual teaware, including my variable temperature kettle, that made for a very bitter cup, which is what this was. Astringent and just way too brisk for my tastes. I tried pulling out the vanilla creaminess that was trying to fight through the bergamot and black tea base by adding some cream but alas there was no aiding this sample.

Check out my full review here: http://sororiteasisters.com/2018/03/30/earl-grey-creme-from-bluebird-tea-co/

Sipdown (528)!

This was a sachet that I got in my big matcha order from Bluebird Tea Company in February. I was sort of putting off drinking it because I thought it’d be boring; but I think it was good for me to get the sipdown in.

I managed to make this feel a little ‘fancier’ by doing a chocolate pairing with it; a cup of tea and a few squares of Lindt’s Black Currant milk chocolate. It was a very British inspired pairing; you see black currant everything in the UK. The milk chocolate was a good choice with the vanilla Earl Grey because the cream elements tied together and created a connection between the tea and the chocolate. The black currant was the element that ‘popped’ and brought life to the pairing.

I don’t think the tea was bad, but honestly I just find straight EG or vanilla EG really boring at this point in my tea drinking ‘career’. I’ve seen it played out so many times now, so I have to find ways to make it interesting for myself since I don’t see those teas as something that’ll ever stand out to me again just on their own.

Scheherazade

Black currant everything. I love it!

Sipping this as I type. Love an Earl Grey Creme, no matter the brand, there’s just something nice about the sweet notes of vanilla mixed with bergamot.

I’m drinking this black today, Ceylon is a bit strong and bitter, probably nicer with milk, but the bergamot is medium strength with light touches of vanilla :P

Flavors: Bergamot, Citrus, Citrusy, Vanilla

I’ve always wanted to try this classic Bluebird blend and I finally was able to with a free teabag with my order. I’m a little glad that I didn’t buy any, as this Earl just isn’t MY Earl. Nothing here is what I would prefer with an Earl, but that is just my tastes. First, the bergamot isn’t my favorite… I’m a little picky with what particular bergamot flavor I like. There is NO creme flavor to speak of, which surprised me. Bluebird flavors are usually spot on. Even though there should be vanilla here, I don’t taste any of that either. The black tea brews up a nice dark red on the first steep, but the second steep the flavor is barely there even though I let it steep for seven minutes. I’m a little glad there is a Bluebird tea I DON’T like…. just wish it wasn’t this one as I’m still on the hunt for my favorite Earl.
Steep #1 // 10 minutes after boiling // 3 minute steep
Steep #2 // just boiled // 7 minute steep

Nattie

Have you tried Terry’s Tea? I love Bluebird but that one is awful!

tea-sipper

Ha, I actually just finished my Terry’s a couple days ago. It’s better to me than this Earl. :D

A sample from a swap, which has been languishing for a while – it´s winter, and I am craving tea and new teas but trying to watch caffeine intake which is annoying.

This was a perfectly nice earl grey, just the right level of bergamot for me. I can not particularly noticed the vanilla, but I was absentmindedly enjoying it.

I don’t really have much to add to my previous tasting notes, but I still find this one utterly delightful. Mild, slightly citrussy earl grey with a big smack of creaminess. It’s just gorgeous!

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 1 tsp