Gingerbread Chai

Chai Rooibos Blend
Cardamom, Cinnamon, Flavor, Ginger, Mallow Flowers, Red Rooibos, Vanilla Pieces
Ginger, Almond, Caramel, Cherry, Cinnamon, Fruity, Marzipan, Spicy, Sweet, Cookie, Wood, Cardamon, Cream, Marshmallow, Nutty, Vanilla, Rooibos
Loose Leaf, Sachet
Caffeine Free
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.
Boiling 4 min, 15 sec 6 g 12 oz / 356 ml

• “Finished off my old tin of this last night, which means…which means…that I only have a free sample sachet of this one left (from my latest order, I hasten to add) before this becomes a sipdown! It...” Read full tasting note
  • “My Bird and Blend tea order arrived! I got 50 grams each of Wisktea and Terry Chocolate Orange, as well as my first subscription package. This was one of the samples included and I decided to brew...” Read full tasting note
  • “This was a free sample from my order. I made it at a hotel using their lobby hot water, which turned out to not be very hot. Even so, I’m enjoying the flavor. It’s lightly sweet and honestly I do...” Read full tasting note
  • “I kinda really like this. Being a rooibos based tisane, I didn’t expect to like it as much as I do. It has a nice ginger zing to it that overpowers any rooibos taste and leaves a fun ginger tingle...” Read full tasting note

From Bird & Blend Tea Co.

Award-winning, spiced Gingerbread Chai rooibos tea!

We have our Nordic neighbours to thank for the tradition of gingerbread. Every year the town of Bergen, Norway still build a lifesize gingerbread city to celebrate Christmas. What a nightmare for poor old Hansel and Gretel! Let’s hope they are keeping a low profile and enjoying a steaming cup of our Gingerbread Chai instead!

Rooibos, cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, vanilla pieces, mallow flowers, flavour.

Brew the perfect cup
1 heaped teaspoon per cup – 100° water – 4+ mins – with or without milk

About Bird & Blend Tea Co. View company

Finished off my old tin of this last night, which means…which means…that I only have a free sample sachet of this one left (from my latest order, I hasten to add) before this becomes a sipdown! It seems odd to be pleased about that, because I do love this tea. It’s the best gingerbread tea I’ve tried, with a good kick of spice and delicious “Jamaica ginger cake-esque” cake flavour. A real treat. I think the novelty has worn off for the moment, though, and I could do with a rest from this one. As it’s now nearly summer (sort of, anyway), I guess that makes sense! Hopefully I’ll come back to this one refreshed at the end of the year, but for now it’s almost goodbye.

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp

My Bird and Blend tea order arrived! I got 50 grams each of Wisktea and Terry Chocolate Orange, as well as my first subscription package. This was one of the samples included and I decided to brew it up right away. It’s quite cool today and rainy, so a warm caffeine free tea sounded perfect for this evening.

I liked this. I didn’t taste much, but the ginger was strong enough for me to feel on my tongue. It’s been a year since my last kenalog shot, so my sense of smell has been gone for about 8 months. In the absence of smell, I taste very little. So knowing that I was drinking something besides warm water was welcome.

This was a free sample from my order. I made it at a hotel using their lobby hot water, which turned out to not be very hot. Even so, I’m enjoying the flavor. It’s lightly sweet and honestly I do kind of get a cookie feeling from it. The ginger is pleasantly spicy. I bet this would be great with milk too. I usually find chai to be pretty boring, but I’d consider buying more of this one.

I kinda really like this. Being a rooibos based tisane, I didn’t expect to like it as much as I do. It has a nice ginger zing to it that overpowers any rooibos taste and leaves a fun ginger tingle in the finish. Doesn’t leave my mouth exceptionally dry either, which is a trait I find in many rooibos blends. If it weren’t for the huge shipping fee, I’d consider keeping this one in stock because it’s been a nice flavorful cup to reach for in the evenings. Guess that puts this in the melancholy sipdown category.

Sara sent me some teas instead of trashing them. :)

Mmm, it smells like ginger. And the taste… wow, there’s a punch in the face of some kind of flavor. Wow, I think that’s the ginger. I kind of like it. It actually burns my throat a bit going down. I wonder how it would be with a little vanilla almond milk.

Okay, with a little almond milk the burn is less. But it’s difficult to pick out any notes beyond ginger. Since this is a chai, I was hoping for a little more balance between the various spices that are typical in a chai. It’s not unpleasant, but it just tastes like a ginger tea to me.

When I was searching for this tea to review, I saw that Tea Chai Te also has a gingerbread chai. Now I want to try it.

Flavors: Ginger

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML
Mastress Alita

It’s surprising how strong the chai is when it really smells so unassuming.

Holiday Tea-son! This was my Bird & Blend advent calendar tea today, and I actually had a 50g bag of this stashed in my collection. Like most teas in my collection, I hadn’t tried it yet (yes, I’m a terrible hoarder!) so I simply opened up the sachet, added the leaf to my bag, and prepared 6g of leaf in a 16oz teapot rather than making a single cuppa with the teabag as my nightly herbal. Making an herbal in my Japanese dobin every evening has become rather ritualistic…

The aroma of the leaf is sweet, and a bit spicy, but also makes me think of apples somehow? I’m oddly getting hints of apple spice, though I can see gingerbread or biscuit from the sweet aroma, too. Brewed, the tea is a reddish-orange color, and smells pretty spot on to me as the dry leaf — sweet, and a bit like warm cookies and apples in spices. It reminds me of one of those “grandma’s kitchen” holiday scented candle fragrances, because it is so aromatic.

The tea felt a bit like a strongly spiced cider to me. The ginger note was reading quite strongly, and left a bit more of a warmth in my mouth than I tend to prefer, which surprised me since the aroma smelled so strongly sweet/fruity/biscuity. I could make out a more subtle hint of cinnamon in the background, and there were some sweeter notes that hit the back of the tongue that tasted a bit like caramel, almond, and cherry, likely coming from the rooibos base, but that strong aftertaste of ginger really dominated the cup. It certainly smelled like an unassuming chai, but about halfway into the cup I found I was going to have to drink this masala chai style. Because I’m a bonified spice wuss.

After drinking about half a cup plain, I swapped out for my largest mug, filled it with 100ml of warmed vanilla almond milk, then put the remainder of the teapot of tea in to take it latte-style. The sweetened milk tempered most of the ginger heat (there was still a bit of warmth left after the sip, but it did help considerably), and the vanilla/creamy aspect of the milk did help it achieve a quality a little closer to gingerbread… though to me, it never quite hit the mark. The ginger was definitely there, but I had a strong sweet amaretto taste on the finish, which I can equate with holiday teas, but not gingerbread in particular. I wonder if the milk brought out that marzipan/cherry taste too much? Maybe I’ll have to try just honey next time, but I’m uncertain if that would help cool down the ginger-burn enough for my spice-wuss-palate…

Certainly more to my liking as a latte, but never quite hit the mark for me taste-wise. Not exactly bad, but not something I see myself likely to want to reach for often. I have a different rooibos chai that I really like, and that is likely to be the one I keep in my cupboard, because the spice blend in it just appeals to me more. This really smells far more desserty than it turns out to be with that ginger-whollap.

Flavors: Almond, Caramel, Cherry, Cinnamon, Fruity, Ginger, Marzipan, Spicy, Sweet

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 6 g 16 OZ / 473 ML

Bird & Blend Tea Advent Calendar – Day 15

Normally I’d be apprehensive about red rooibos, but I’ve had good experiences with the rooibos blends from Bird & Blend so far. However… this is also a masala chai blend, which I don’t generally enjoy that much either. XP

It’s very gingery, which is never my favorite flavor. There are some sweet biscuit notes, but I feel like the ginger is too strong to really represent gingerbread. It’s strong enough that it makes the inside of my mouth tingly. Plus I don’t really detect the other spices usually present in gingerbread, like cinnamon and clove. The rooibos base is fine, just adding a little bit of a woody background flavor.

It’s not for me! But I’m not a ginger lover, so it’s not its fault.

Flavors: Cookie, Ginger, Spicy, Sweet, Wood

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 12 OZ / 354 ML

I had a sample bag of this sometime in the last 48 hours … not quite sure when (I tend to get up in the middle of the night and have a cup of tea before going back to bed, and I think this one was one of those midnight trysts). I wasn’t amped because I’ve not liked the rooibos I’ve tried so far, and I tend not to like spicy chais, and because I really don’t like clove (unless quite restrained), and gingerbread and chai flavors are usually long on clove. But I actually do LOVE real gingerbread (and I make mine very gingery!).

Additionally, it’s sort of difficult to form an opinion on one tea bag, since getting the right amount of water and steeping time is difficult in a single shot. However, this turned out to be quite a lot nicer than I expected — smoother, yet quite gingery, but not too clovey (if there was even clove), with something of a gingerbread flavor … and I didn’t notice the rooibos, which coming from me, so far, is complimentary. In fact, I may even include it the next time I make a B&B order.

This may all sound like faint praise, but I was pleasantly surprised, and I have both wanted to have a “gingerbread” tea, yet been too gun-shy to order one, so yay, random midnight encounter!

Sipdown (630)!

Finishing this one off tonight; probably last tea of the night. This was my first day of a five day ‘staycation’ – the plan is basically relax and drink tea. I think I’m going to aim for 50/50 sipdowns and appreciating/indulging in Gong Fu session I otherwise wouldn’t have the time for…

This is sort of a meh tea for me; I like the rooibos base for it’s smooth, sweet woody profile and the hints of honey. However, it’s also a little peppery and that combined with all the ginger in the blend is sort of irritating my throat. I also just generally don’t vibe well with Chai, especially ones without some sort of “twist” to them (a dessert chai, a fruity chai, etc.) and this is definitely more traditional aside for the rooibos tea base. Though I did feel like there was a VERY SLIGHT orange taste to the top of the sip. However, that quickly was drowned out by the spices. However, all of that said it’s certainly not bad. I just feel like if it was really a gingerbread chai that it would taste sweeter with more of a molasses-y ginger profile instead of this ginger/cinnamon sort of bullshit.

Shrug.

I made this as a chocolate milk latte and I think my tastebuds are still weird because this had a ginger burn at the back of my throat and yet the tea itself tastes floral. Hopefully it’s my tastebuds cuz I don’t like this at all..

Lexie Aleah

Could also just be because you brewed it with chocolate milk. I find that it brings out floral notes a lot more in teas.