Gingerbread Chai

Chai Rooibos Blend
Cardamom, Cinnamon, Flavor, Ginger, Mallow Flowers, Red Rooibos
Cardamon, Cookie, Ginger, Cinnamon, Cream, Marshmallow, Nutty, Vanilla, Caramel, Rooibos
Loose Leaf, Tea Bag
Edit tea info Last updated by CrowKettle
Boiling 4 min, 30 sec 9 oz / 279 ml

Available from 1 seller.

4 Images

• “Finished off my old tin of this last night, which means…which means…that I only have a free sample sachet of this one left (from my latest order, I hasten to add) before this becomes a sipdown! It...” Read full tasting note
  • “Sipdown (630)! Finishing this one off tonight; probably last tea of the night. This was my first day of a five day ‘staycation’ – the plan is basically relax and drink tea. I think I’m going to aim...” Read full tasting note
  • “I made this as a chocolate milk latte and I think my tastebuds are still weird because this had a ginger burn at the back of my throat and yet the tea itself tastes floral. Hopefully it’s my...” Read full tasting note
  • “this one wasn’t too shabby. I don’t get a strong gingerbread flavour out of this one – it’s a little on the subdued side however there’s a bite to this chai that i’m guessing is supposed to be...” Read full tasting note

From Bird & Blend Tea Co.

Award-winning, spiced gingerbread chai tea.
We have our Nordic neighbours to thank for the tradition of Christmas gingerbread. Every year the town of Bergen, Norway still build a lifesize gingerbread city to celebrate Christmas. What a nightmare for poor old Hansel and Gretel! Let’s hope they are keeping a low profile and enjoying a steaming cup of our Gingerbread Chai instead!
Ingredients: rooibos, cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, mallow flowers.
Warning: May contain traces of nuts

About Bird & Blend Tea Co. View company

Finished off my old tin of this last night, which means…which means…that I only have a free sample sachet of this one left (from my latest order, I hasten to add) before this becomes a sipdown! It seems odd to be pleased about that, because I do love this tea. It’s the best gingerbread tea I’ve tried, with a good kick of spice and delicious “Jamaica ginger cake-esque” cake flavour. A real treat. I think the novelty has worn off for the moment, though, and I could do with a rest from this one. As it’s now nearly summer (sort of, anyway), I guess that makes sense! Hopefully I’ll come back to this one refreshed at the end of the year, but for now it’s almost goodbye.

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp

Sipdown (630)!

Finishing this one off tonight; probably last tea of the night. This was my first day of a five day ‘staycation’ – the plan is basically relax and drink tea. I think I’m going to aim for 50/50 sipdowns and appreciating/indulging in Gong Fu session I otherwise wouldn’t have the time for…

This is sort of a meh tea for me; I like the rooibos base for it’s smooth, sweet woody profile and the hints of honey. However, it’s also a little peppery and that combined with all the ginger in the blend is sort of irritating my throat. I also just generally don’t vibe well with Chai, especially ones without some sort of “twist” to them (a dessert chai, a fruity chai, etc.) and this is definitely more traditional aside for the rooibos tea base. Though I did feel like there was a VERY SLIGHT orange taste to the top of the sip. However, that quickly was drowned out by the spices. However, all of that said it’s certainly not bad. I just feel like if it was really a gingerbread chai that it would taste sweeter with more of a molasses-y ginger profile instead of this ginger/cinnamon sort of bullshit.

Shrug.

I made this as a chocolate milk latte and I think my tastebuds are still weird because this had a ginger burn at the back of my throat and yet the tea itself tastes floral. Hopefully it’s my tastebuds cuz I don’t like this at all..

Lexie Aleah

Could also just be because you brewed it with chocolate milk. I find that it brings out floral notes a lot more in teas.

this one wasn’t too shabby. I don’t get a strong gingerbread flavour out of this one – it’s a little on the subdued side however there’s a bite to this chai that i’m guessing is supposed to be rolled in to the "ginger"bread aspect? On the whole, a nice cup for today’s terrible weather but that’s about all i needed in my life :) Thanks VariaTEA!

I was a little disappointed to see that this was the first tea in this year’s advent calendar only because I’m not the biggest fan of chai. I do like gingerbread and rooibos, though.. so I thought that I’d give this one a go. The first thing I noticed was the intense spiciness of the ginger. I can tolerate ginger in small amounts, but this was a little too strong for me. It had a very warming quality to it, so it would be nice to have on a really cold and snowy day. The ginger didn’t remind me of the kind of soft and sweet ginger that you’d find in gingerbread, though. I also thought that the other flavors in it were strangely sweet and unbalanced. Even though I wouldn’t purchase this in the future, I did finish the cup. I also appreciated the rooibos base and the different take on a gingerbready chai tea.

I wasn’t expecting much from this one because rooibos, but it somehow became a family favourite. My sister and mother both asked where this tea came from and when I could pick up more, which never happens; usually everyone’s on my case about too much tea!

Cardamom and ginger are the main spices (they actually give off a bit of real fire!), with a slightly sweet appeal. Needless to say, it tastes good in milk.

So that’s a winner, Bluebird Tea Co!

Flavors: Cardamon, Cookie, Ginger

Nattie

My family like this a whole lot more than I do, too!

tea-sipper

Yay, more Bluebird fans! I love this one too.

I needed something festive to help me feel the spirit of the season, and I needed something decaf to help keep my blood pressure and anxiety at a minimum throughout the holiday blitz. Throughout this winter season, I’ve been brewing Gingerbread Chai from Bluebird. This rooibos chai has many of the usual spice suspects: ginger, cardamom, and cinnamon. The cinnamon is the most prominent flavor, and I found myself wanting more of a ginger bite to make for a spicier chai. This tea is smooth and warming, with the baked-good quality of cardamom and cinnamon. Most notably, this tea also has mallow blossoms mixed in, which make for a unique visual style and which bring a certain floral, marshmallow sweetness to the tea. Now that I’ve survived the holidays, and everything is settling down, I am getting towards the end of this bag of tea. All things considered, Gingerbread Chai has served me well and I’ll keep an eye out for it next season.

Flavors: Cardamon, Cinnamon, Cream, Ginger, Marshmallow, Nutty, Vanilla

Inspired by a Nordic city that builds lifesize gingerbread every year, this blend is full of the caramelised flavours of rooibos and carries the warming tang of ginger. The other ingredients aren’t obvious, but if you leave to steep for over 4 minutes the ginger becomes stronger and increases the spicy peppery element.

A little disappointing, especially as Bluebird blends are generally really tasty! Wouldn’t recommend, but only because I have recently tried better Gingerbread Rooibos (Kettleshed)

Flavors: Caramel, Ginger, Rooibos

The resulting tea bares a sweet toasted Rooibos scent with spicy ginger and cinnamon undertones. It sort of does resemble a ginger biscuit (and those are my favourite!).

A few sips and I’m unsure what to write about first. While I can taste the sweetness from the Rooibos it’s also warming and fiery from the ginger. It’s almost deceiving at first, just as you think ‘Oohh it’s just another sweet Rooibos blend’ it grabs hold of you and intensifies in the back of the throat. All of this while mellowing into a ginger biscuit after taste with a hint of cardamom and cinnamon.Power and complexity is certain and this is not a blend for the faint-hearted.

As it cools slightly the sweetness relaxes and the spices come forward a little more. The balance of ginger, cardamom and cinnamon make it exotic and chai aromatic but the unmistakable ginger biscuit likeness lingers in my mind.

This was a free sample with the Bluebird order, in a pyramid teabag. This was one I didn’t manage to try yet, so here goes. The scent is super spicy! There are notes of frosting in both the fragrance and flavor, I swear… a frosting you might see on a gingerbread cookie. I’m beginning to see some sort of sweet note in a tea blend whenever there are mallow blossoms, so that is my theory. The flavor is very spicy, just like a gingerbread cookie (almost too flavorful — I definitely wouldn’t steep more than one teaspoon at a time!) It’s such a satisfying late cold night cup. Spicy with a hint of sweetness. And I’m not a ginger fan AT ALL. The second steep is slightly less spicy than the first cup, though still very spicy, with more of that cookie icing peeking through! I’m surprised by this blend and how much I like it, though I really shouldn’t be. This is a Bluebird blend. And they are awesome. I coulda, shoulda bought some of this one! But that probably applies to all of the Bluebird blends.
Steep #1 // couple minutes after boiling // 2 1/2 minute steep