Lime + Cola Guayusa

Fruit Guayusa Blend
Earth, Lime, Smooth, Sweet
Edit tea info Last updated by CrowKettle

Available from 1 seller.

From Bird & Blend Tea Co.

Energy boosting Guayusa tea is blended with cola nut and linden leaves in this lime and cola flavoured tea blend. Guayusa is another one of those Amazonian energy charged super plants and Linden leaves (Lime) has been used for centuries to treat colds, fevers and inflamation.

Ingredients: Guayusa, Lime flower (Linden tea), Cola nuts, Lime Slices, Natural flavouring oils

To brew the perfect cup: 1 heaped teaspoon per cup, 100° water, 4+ mins, without milk.

About Bird & Blend Tea Co. View company

I had this blend over ice this morning and definitely prefer it iced over hot. It tastes like flat Coca-Cola with lime, only not sickeningly sweet. I’m still toying with the idea of making this as a teapop. If I happen upon a sparkling water that I actually enjoy drinking I’ll give it a go. Until then I’ll be enjoying this over ice or chilled.

Today’s cold brew. I used my usual method for preparing this one – 2 tbsp of leaf in two litres of water, into the fridge for around 10 hours overnight. The resulting brew is a very pale peach colour, and I have to say that my expectations were fairly low.

Again, I was wrong to doubt. There’s no doubt that this tea is better cold brewed than it is hot – the cola flavour is still very, very mild, but it’s there. It’s a flavour that seems far better suited to cold brewing IMO, so I’m happier with that. Interestingly, the lime seems to have diminished significantly, which is sad. It’s lost the little punch it did have (and that wasn’t much start with).

Although I’m not overwhelmed by the flavour of this one, it is a pleasantly light, refreshing blend. It’s nice to have a cola flavour without all the sugar and carbonation. My only real complaint about this one is that there’s still something gritty about it that’s catching the back of my throat, and I filtered it through muslin as well. Strange.

I’m pleased that this one is better cold brewed, but it’s not one I’d repuchase. I’ve had cola teas I’ve preferred, and the grittiness is hard to get past. I’m not a huge fan.

Iced 8 min or more

My favourite energising tea with slight sweet hints and a good bit of zing, my current first tea of the morning as it wakes me up.

Drinking with my brother part 1

I’m guessing that my brother chose this tea because of the name, but I was excited because I have been wanting to drink it. The smell is very odd and it matches its taste. I’m unsure how to describe this tea… the best I can do is saying that it taste like a cola that sat outside for about 45 minutes. While it will still be okay, it isn’t the best. That is how this tea is, good but lacks something.

gmathis

Thanks for the reminder…I have some cola tea that is great iced when the weather starts to boil! Now, where’d I stow it..?

TeaNTees

I love guayusa, have you ever tried any others by Bluebird Tea Co?

Liquid Proust

Butiki made the best guayusa and my memory of them intimidates me to even try…
I have the Candy Floss and Cocoa #5

TeaNTees

Yes, Butiki certainly did create some amazing guayusa blends. …Alas :(

This is the last tea from the Bluebird group order a couple of months ago. I guess I’ve just never felt in the mood for a lime cola tea, but today is the day! I’ve only had one guayusa tea before, and I didn’t really get a good sense of the base because it had lavender in it… So this should be interesting! The dry leaf is quite beautiful. It has a lovely “herbal” appearance – all pieces of leaves, flower buds, etc. And everything is a lovely muted shade of green/yellow. Dry scent is lime with a bit of cola underneath.

The steeped tea smells a little bit lime-ish, and there’s a certain effervescent aroma and sweetness that suggest cola. Hm! It definitely tastes herbal, and a bit earthy in a good way. I can taste the lime and cola, but they’re both quite mild and they meld together nicely. I’m really enjoying the gentle and sweet herbal flavor of the guayusa/linden, and the lime is a lovely touch. Pretty yummy!

Flavors: Earth, Lime, Smooth, Sweet

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML

Here’s a tasting note to celebrate!! I just noticed sorting is working again after months! Awesome! I hope a lot of things are back to normal, because I’ve been noticing for a while now, if I post two tasting notes around the same time, both will show up in my tealog and the page for that tea, but it will not show up in the dashboard. Well, as long as they aren’t disappearing completely, I’m fine with it…

Another from the order – I definitely wanted to try this one! I was a little worried this wouldn’t be lime cola at ALL, but the leaves certainly have both a lime and cola fragrance and the FLAVOR is definitely there as well — both steeps! There are some big leaves here… not sure if that is the guayusa or the linden. I also made sure to include a big lime piece – rind and all. But there is a nice sweet lime and cola flavor… almost candy like. Certainly delicious. I could hardly taste the usually earthy guayusa itself, to those who are a little afraid of the guayusa flavor. But that could be due to the not-at-boiling steep. Maybe the flavor of the lime and cola dominate the cup. The flavor of this one exceeded my expectations with its perfect balance of lime and cola. I wouldn’t have minded taking a bigger risk with more than ten grams from the split order.
Steep #1 // 1 tsp (+ really big lime piece) // 20 min after boiling // 2 min steep
Steep #2 // 15 min a.b. // 3-4 min

This is a queued tasting note.

Hot cup of this Sunday morning; needed the caffeine but still wanted a gentle start to the day. This was a great compromise. I still find it interesting that it’s a pairing of linden leaves and guayusa ‘cause guayusa is supposed to be invigorating and is caffeine rich and then I’ve always been told that linden is good for insomnia, so that seems a bit conflicting?

Mostly this was just the flavour of the linden leaf with some light earth tones. Not a whole lot of lime; kind of just felt a tiny bit like someone has just really lightly squeezed a few drops of lime over the cup of tea? As for the cola, it was also light but not quite as light as I found the lime to be. Meh; made for a relatively decent cup of tea overall. Soothing, at the very leaf. I wish the flavour was a bit bolder but that’s been a constant criticism for me with this blend so at this point I’m just working on accepting that.

Backlog:

I’ve tried a few teas from them since I first tried this tea, but this was the first from Bluebird that I tried. I was quite pleased with this blend.

I don’t know that I actually tasted “Lime Cola” here, maybe I’m a bit spoiled by the cola teas that 52Teas creates because Frank manages to nail the cola complete with an effervescence that is astounding.

That said, this is really tasty. I like the coffee-esque notes from the guayusa and I like the way the lime perks up that flavor. As the cup cools, I start to pick up on hints of a cola-esque note. When it’s hot, no cola … there is some cola to this when it cools, and this tisane is definitely better iced.

I enjoyed it quite a bit even though I didn’t get as much cola as I would have liked. Here’s my full-length review: http://sororiteasisters.com/2014/08/19/lime-cola-guayusa-from-bluebird-tea-co/