Mulled Cider

Apple Pieces, Cinnamon, Cloves, Flavor, Ginger, Hibiscus, Lemon Peel, Rose Hips
Fruity, Musty, Spices
Loose Leaf, Tea Bag
Edit tea info Last updated by TastetheTea

• “I was looking forward to a warming cup of this today, but it’s not quite as I remember it being the first time I tried it. It’s apple and spice, yes, but there’s an underlying soapiness that’s...” Read full tasting note
  • “Day four of advent calendar: I’m worried that I might not like this tea as it seems like it’s heavy on spices. I actually like cider, but not when it’s overwhelmed by cinnamon, clove, ginger. The...” Read full tasting note
  • “Sipdown (408)! Finished this one off a few days ago. Mulled Cider is actually a pretty good name for it; that’s basically what it is. There are things about it that could be improved upon though;...” Read full tasting note
  • “Tasting note written a couple nights ago: This was in a mini-box of gift teas that Bluebird was selling during their sale. I was happy I get to try it! It’s a different play on their Mulled...” Read full tasting note

From Bluebird Tea Co.

Sweet spiced apple, what a winter warmer!

About Bluebird Tea Co. View company

I was looking forward to a warming cup of this today, but it’s not quite as I remember it being the first time I tried it. It’s apple and spice, yes, but there’s an underlying soapiness that’s really distracting, to the point where it’s spoiling my enjoyment of the cup.

I’m going to put this out there – I don’t wash my work mug with soap of any kind. It gets a rinse under the tap, and the occasional wipe with a paper towel, but that’s the extent of it. That’s not to say it’s not clean, just that I don’t trust any of the cleaning implements in the office kitchen anywhere near my cup. That’s how I know it’s not contaminated with soap from a lack of proper rinsing, so the soapiness must somehow be coming from the tea. I used a little more leaf this time than last, but that’s the only difference. Mostly, I was trying to boost the flavour level since it turned out a little weak and watery last time.

I don’t know what’s making it soapy, but it’s making me sad.

Day four of advent calendar: I’m worried that I might not like this tea as it seems like it’s heavy on spices. I actually like cider, but not when it’s overwhelmed by cinnamon, clove, ginger. The scent of this tea reminds me of a spiced apple candle… a tad artificial. Sipping this tea, it’s definitely not as strong on the spices.. The apple flavor is a bit weak and watered down. I wish that the cider element could be stronger and more natural. It reminds me of drinking a dish of potpourri. Even though I don’t love this cup, it is a comforting drink to have on a cold night.

Sipdown (408)!

Finished this one off a few days ago. Mulled Cider is actually a pretty good name for it; that’s basically what it is. There are things about it that could be improved upon though; like, I actually wouldn’t mind a significantly stronger apple flavour. I mean, those apple notes were there but not to the same degree that I’d expect from a cider tea. The hibby kind of took over and masked some of them, too.

I also didn’t like the ginger – but I realize that’s largely just a personal preference thing since I don’t like ginger that much in the first place. My favourite part was the cinnamon, it was such a nice top note and from there it really seamlessly transitioned into this super smooth, satisfying undertone that really, really complimented the apple. The two together actually reminded me a lot of apple pie.

Overall, this was pretty satisfying. The other “mulled cider” tea that I have a lot of familiarity with is DT’s Spiced Apple and I spent the whole time sipping on this trying to decide which of the two I liked better. They are quite different, but honestly? I still can’t decide which was the better one!

Tasting note written a couple nights ago: This was in a mini-box of gift teas that Bluebird was selling during their sale. I was happy I get to try it! It’s a different play on their Mulled Wine that I tried ONCE before and was one of my favorite herbal teas. (Mulled wine was also included in the gift box even though they barely had it for sale this year!) I always get worried when I see hibiscus listed in ingredients, but I should always remember that Bluebird always uses the perfect amount of hibiscus. Their blends never overdue the stuff, or maybe I always get the perfect little teaspoon. The flavor here is perfectly balanced between fruit and spice, with hints of tartness from the hibiscus. The brew is only light pink and NOT a murder of dark red hibiscus. I actually steeped for three minutes but on noticing that the brew was pink, went on for another three minutes because I knew the hibiscus wouldn’t be overdone. (I must use this rule for other hibiscus blends.) The main fruit note is apple, so mulled cider it is! I need to save this tea for when I know I’ll want to guzzle TWO steeps of no-caff at night. I’m happy with Bluebird’s herbals! This is about the highest rating I’ll give for any tea with hibiscus though, even if done well. Steepsterers really need to be drinking Bluebird’s teas more!
Steep #1 // 1 heaping teaspoon for full mug // couple minutes after boiling // 6 minute steep

A musty fruity flavour, provided by the apples and hibiscus, hints at a faint essence of cider, that becomes a little tart in the finish. This is combined by a spiced element of cinnamon and cloves with a tiny tang of ginger right at the finish.

Flavors: Fruity, Musty, Spices