Vanilla Black Tea

Ceylon Black Tea, Vanilla Bean
Cocoa, Creamy, Malt, Vanilla, Custard, Bitter, Chocolate, Cherry, Honey, Raisins
Edit tea info Last updated by Mandy

• “Another TTB tea. This is a sipdown because I gave the rest of this to a friend who gave me a bunch of teas to add to the teabox. This is a really solid black tea with deliciously creamy vanilla...” Read full tasting note
  • “Sipdown (255) Thank you for the share Evol Ving Ness for the share. This is a really nice vanilla black tea. Smooth. Sweet. Creamy. Vanilla. No muss. No fuss. Just a nice vanilla black. Nothing too...” Read full tasting note
  • “Thanks Evol! This one was way too astringent for me. The vanilla bean and strong cherry undertone of the black tea were pretty nice, but the astringency coupled with the vanilla turned it into...” Read full tasting note
  • “I know I just reviewed this tea yesterday , but I saved the leaves from yesterday and brewed them up this morning. I wanted to resteep yesterday but I ended up out of the house most of the day. I...” Read full tasting note

From Capital Tea Ltd.

Quality Ceylon black teas blended with vanilla bean. – 100g Package

Flavored Black Tea
1tsp/cup 3mins 95-100C water

About Capital Tea Ltd. View company

This is a really solid black tea with deliciously creamy vanilla notes. The base itself has flavours of raisin and malt, maybe even cocoa. I’m impressed. Normally vanilla teas just aren’t quite what I’m hoping for, but this one is very good, and made even better with a splash of vanilla soy milk.

Flavors: Cocoa, Creamy, Malt, Vanilla

Sipdown (255)

Thank you for the share Evol Ving Ness for the share. This is a really nice vanilla black tea. Smooth. Sweet. Creamy. Vanilla. No muss. No fuss. Just a nice vanilla black. Nothing too Earth-shattering but still enjoyable.

Thanks Evol!

This one was way too astringent for me. The vanilla bean and strong cherry undertone of the black tea were pretty nice, but the astringency coupled with the vanilla turned it into something like molasses. It is naturally sweet and the chocolate notes really aren’t too off, it’s just too strong. A splash of milk did tone it down nicely though.

I was surprised to taste this today and find that it was just as good as yesterday. That deserves an increase in rating!

I adore this one. I may have said this more than once. This may be the only tea in my relatively short tea life that I’ve gone through three times a hundred grams of, and I tend to steep this one twice.

The secret of this tea, in my humble opinion, is to slightly under leaf and to steep fast, like two or two and a half minutes. Any more leaf or added steeping time and you are looking at more astringency than is pleasant.

This one also takes milk nicely though I tend to drink it black and unsweetened.

All in all, such a win.

I sometimes forget all about this tea and then, when I start poking around in my stash—which is currently all upside down after my move back home so all sorts of neglected items are coming to the surface— and I stumble across it, I get that delighted joy feeling and it is all a big YES.
Rosehips

Oooh. This sounds good.

JakeB

Like this one myself.

Fjellrev

Always a great feeling to rediscover a loved tea.

MrQuackers

This reminds me of a another Vanilla Ceylon tea. I can still see the ceylon tea and the vanilla pieces.

MrQuackers

Ps this is very different from the usual “vanilla flavoured items” that use flavouring as opposed to beans.

that’s only because you can’t get mariage freres regularly heh

OrthodoxCuppa

Another tea for my wishlist!

Sample from Evol Ving Ness and while i’ve had this one before ages ago it was nice to revisit it. I still prefer the subtle differences that you find with fancy french vanilla teas. On the other hand, this one is certainly more readily available to have. thanks a bunch evol!

Evol Ving Ness

I might just need another cup of this one right now.

Evol Ving Ness

Sil, what is your favourite vanilla tea? Or top two even?

Black orchid by MF i think…

there’s also another one that isn’t easily attainable lol from fru p

Evol Ving Ness

Thanks, Sil. Checking prices for Denmark flights. :)

OMGsrsly

Oh gosh, tickets to France just came up on a flight deals blog I follow. MF. Yum.

TeaExplorer

#YouKnowYouAreATeaAddictWhen …

Canadian dollar = .64 euro. :( :(

OMGsrsly

Canadian dollar = not worth much anywhere, sadly.

sobs over her teacup

Strong vanilla fragrance from dry leaves and steeped.
Good vanilla flavour with creamy mouth feel, bitter chocolate note that gets less bitter as the cup cools. Hot, this lacks a full mouth flavour, but that also improves as the cup cools.

Much less chocolate in this one, than the other vanilla blacks I’ve had recently, but a very nice choice for a straight up vanilla black tea. Thanks Lindsay!

Flavors: Bitter, Chocolate, Creamy, Vanilla

The dry leaf of this tea smells of vanilla custard and chocolate and is composed of large pieces of broken leaf orange pekoe and occasional short pieces of vanilla bean. The leaves are thin and tightly folded blades.

I breweed this tea for the recommended 3 minutes at 95°C. The tea brews up to a rich golden red with a gold ring around the edge of the cup. It smells of vanilla custard with a warm sweet vanilla note behind it with a touch of caramel and cream, a hint of malt and tarter fruit is peaking out behind the vanilla.

The first sip is a blend of a cooler vanilla taste, a bit like that found in good ice cream, mixed and balanced with a light bitterness from malt. It leaves a cooling sensation in the mouth. Underneath is a faintly vegetal note mixed with slightly tart stone fruit. There is a hint of an almost eucalyptus note and there is a caramel note up front that mixes with the vanilla. Best drunk slowly to fully appreciate the warm vanilla notes dissipating in the mouth and opening up first through malt, fruit and ahint of wood and cocoa, then finalling to a cooling eucalyptus. The vanilla is up front in the flavour and is distinct. Their are hints of it in the aftertaste but the aftertaste is more a blend of fruit, eucalyptus and bitter malt tones with the vanilla to temper them and smooth them out. Quite a nice vanilla tea. The vanilla is quite natural tasting and distinct, but does not overpower the tea itself which is quite robust. I could easily restock this in the future.

Fjellrev

Sounds wonderful!

One more review of the teas I drank earlier today. :P
So got a sample of this one from Capital Teas Ltd. Holy Shanghai you guys-they give big samples. 20g. Can’t believe it still! :O
Onto the tea though…
They really should rename this one to “Malty Vanilla Black Tea”. “Vanilla Black Tea” is just too generic for this one.
It doesn’t really appeal as just vanilla black…doesn’t really indicate that this tea is any different from everyone else’s vanilla teas. And this one definitely is different.
It’s so malty and strong. The vanilla and malt blend perfectly in this one.
Seriously one of the best vanilla teas I’ve ever had! It’s amazing! I can’t wait to get more!

Flavors: Malt, Vanilla

Tealizzy

Ooh, yummy! Wishlisted!!

Nicole

Hm. This one sounds like it needs to be tried!

Ost

Definitely worth the try! It’s amazing!

Mandy

Yay glad it grew on you! (:

So, I’ve had tea wish vanilla bean in then before, but this was the first time I ever have seen an actual vanilla bean segment in a tea. It was a few cm big and bursting with the little black vanilla bean seed things, so cool.

I don’t know if it’s because how much straight tea I’ve been having lately, or because of how great the quality of the base tea is, but I’m getting a bunch of flavors from this. There’s the vanilla of course, but there’s also some cocoa and malt and cherries and honey. And there’s a nice long lingering raisin and cherry after taste. I always assumed Ceylon were bland, I don’t know why, but I really need to stop underestimating black teas.

Flavors: Cherry, Cocoa, Honey, Malt, Raisins, Vanilla

Boiling 3 min, 15 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
yyz

I think its a case of finding the right Ceylons. I’ve had some I love and others that I stay far a way from. I’m glad you reviewed this tea. I’ve been thinking of trying it after I get through my current one!

Dexter

HHHhhhmmm this is interesting. Adding it to my wish list….

Mandy

I think up into this point most of the ones I’ve had have been more of the “stay far away from”, or the “there’s tea in this” categories. Plus I had accidentally let it cool to room temp by the time I took the first sip, and I swear I did a double take. I was expecting your average vanilla flavored singular flavor profile type tea. And I definitely say try it, you’re already love Capital Tea Ltd, so I’m pretty sure it’s right up your alley.

Dexter

I LOVE Capital Tea Ltd., but I haven’t had many of their flavored teas. Just excited to hear about REAL vanilla bean in an interesting base. I’m not really a Ceylon fan, but I think I’ve only had a couple that were just so-so – haven’t really explored them enough to find the GOOD ones – like yyz said you need to find the right ones. Too many teas, too little time. If I’m ever allowed to order more teas, this will be included. Thanks for sharing.