Classic Black Tea

Astringent, Brown Sugar, Honey, Sweet Potatoes
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

1 Tasting Note View all

• “Wow! This tea is very strong and robust, with high level of astringency, however not bitter! We have first snow here and this was a great cup to enjoy. I have used two teaspoons for my 300 ml cup...” Read full tasting note

From Georgian Tea 1847

Classic black tea comes from Guria region which is a seaside province of west Georgia. Tea is plucked only by hand from organic plantations. This tea is perfect everyday breakfast drink, technology although is modern orthodox, this tea will remind you old Georgian tea from soviet era, which was called Georgian “Extra” that was one of the highest quality grades in soviet union. It has nostalgic aroma yet with more intense astrigency and flavour.

Place of Origin

Guria Region, Georgia

Altitude

100-150m

Tasting notes

Well balanced astrigency with honey and flowery notes

About Georgian Tea 1847 View company

1 Tasting Note

I have used two teaspoons for my 300 ml cup and steeped it for 4 and something minutes and it was really strong. Warming me from toes through chest to my fingers.

Although I said it is robust, I have to mention two other qualities that I have noticed. It is certainly somehow floral, a little like Guria Likhauri which isn’t surprising at all, but this tea is much stronger — and honey smoothness and flavour as well. It was somehow sweet, brown sugar comes to mind and sweet potatoes a little bit (a rare occurence as I don’t have much experience with them).

I need to brew it to my parents, if it is like “Georgian tea” from their childhood. Back then there were available only three black teas — Pigi tea (dust and fannings), Ceylon tea (fannings, middle range) and Georgian tea (high-end, though fannings like here as well). They had the last mentioned only a few times though. That was Comminist era here. No quality tea and if better, it was very expensive.

But I really liked this one!

Flavors: Astringent, Brown Sugar, Honey, Sweet Potatoes

ashmanra

Snow!!!! Wow! And let us know what your parents say when they try the tea!

Leafhopper

We had snow here in Ontario last week, so I’m not that surprised you’ve got it as well. I look forward to eventually trying these Georgian teas!