Marron Chocolat

Black Teas, Cacao, Chestnut, Cocoa, Flavors
Chocolate, Cocoa, Hazelnut, Nutty, Smooth, Sweet, Chestnut, Paper, Roasted nuts, Dark Bittersweet, Nuts, Vanilla, Bitter, Creamy, Malt, Coffee, Dark Chocolate, Roast nuts, Drying
Loose Leaf, Sachet
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Mastress Alita

• “In celebration of the end of snowstorm Nemo, I decided to try this out. I am glad it stopped snowing! We got about 10 inches of snow. Thank you Lady 0f Spaydes for this sample! I used up the...” Read full tasting note
  • “An old favorite. Very good for the cold weather, and I brewed this tonight for the first time in months. A bit of milk, a few spoonfuls of sugar, and this tea tastes like a gourmet hot chocolate. I...” Read full tasting note
  • “This is one of the first loose leaf teas I purchased, but now I am drinking my last bit of this tea. Definitely the best chocolate flavored tea I have had yet. Goodbye sweet tea! I have logging to...” Read full tasting note
  • “Before steeping: Scent- Dark chocolate and chesnut After Steeping: Color- Honey Scent- Nutella and black tea and a hiny of Vanilla Taste: Nude- Rich hazelnut, very strong flavoring, though I wish...” Read full tasting note

From Lupicia

MARRON CHOCOLAT is a flavored black tea inspired by unskinned chestnuts simmered in brandy.Sweetness of chestnuts and mild astringency of chestnut skin will enhance the rich, deep aroma of roasted cacao.The tea is perfect for a relaxing, happy tea time. Goes very well with milk.

Ingredients: Indian black tea, Vietnamese black tea, Kenyan black tea, dried chestnuts (chestnuts, sugar), roasted cacao, cocoa powder, flavourings

Steeping Instructions:

Amount of Tea Leaves: 0.10oz(2.5-3g)
Water Temprature: Boiling Water
Brewing Time: 2.5-3min.

About Lupicia View company

In celebration of the end of snowstorm Nemo, I decided to try this out. I am glad it stopped snowing! We got about 10 inches of snow. Thank you Lady 0f Spaydes for this sample! I used up the whole bag for my husband and I. My sense of smell isn’t that strong this morning, so I couldn’t smell the dry leaf. But I saw bits of cacao perhaps or bits of brown in there. Maybe it was chocolate or some nut? Once steeped (Western style), I could smell the cacao very strongly, which I love so much! The scent reminded me of Tisano’s Cacao Tea (which is also a very delightful tisane!).

Anyhow, this brewed a nice dark amber brown liquid. I added a few spoons of sugar and a nice amount of milk to tame it a bit. I wish I tried it plain, but I’m sure it tastes great without any additives too. I tasted a hint of nuttiness to this, which could be part of the cacao’s inherent taste. I am not sure. I was yearning for creamy choco goodness, and this was perfect! I wanted to gulp this down because it was just so amazingly good, but I savored it instead… sipping slowing. This is a great tea for a wintry day. Overall, I would buy this tea for sure. I am adding this to my growing wishlist.

An old favorite. Very good for the cold weather, and I brewed this tonight for the first time in months. A bit of milk, a few spoonfuls of sugar, and this tea tastes like a gourmet hot chocolate. I recommend over-steeping it a little, to get the right amount of bitterness, and a good complexity.

Brewed this in my tetsubin-style tea press, in celebration of the cold weather. It wasn’t until I was taking my first sip that I realized I was missing an ingredient – sugar. Of course, there’s none of that in the dorm at all. Maybe I’ll buy some later.

I know I’ve mixed this with Lupicia’s vanilla black tea in the past, but I’ve forgotten how that tasted. I think I also mixed it with Teavana’s Matevana… could be wrong though. It’s been a while. Maybe when I go home, I’ll get some matevana (they still sell it, right?) to mix with this.

Another random question for the night: Are there any known tea allergies? Like, anything about the liquor or spent leaves that becomes airborne? My roommate is having sinus problems, and he’s trying to figure out what’s causing it. He says they usually come when he goes in the kitchen, which is where I brew my tea, and where I trash my used leaves.

takgoti

I’ve never heard of tea allergies, but I’m guessing that it’s possible for people to become allergic to just about anything so it’s a possibility. As for personal anecdotes or any concrete information, I got nothing.

Jillian

I’m thinking it sounds more like a dust or mold issue given that’s it’s respiratory problems he’s having. Maybe check for mold under the sink and other damp areas?

JMKauftheil

heh…
We found some bread that was over a month expired.
Mold up to wazoo. My roommate practically puked.

Wazoo. I’ve never used that word before.

This is one of the first loose leaf teas I purchased, but now I am

I have logging to do from the Victorian Tea Room as well as the Emilie Autumn Tea and Cupcake Social, but I am super exhausted and with school starting this week, I have way too much to do to really spend any time logging.

Before steeping:
Scent- Dark chocolate and chesnut

After Steeping:
Color- Honey
Scent- Nutella and black tea and a hiny of Vanilla

Taste:
Nude- Rich hazelnut, very strong flavoring, though I wish it was a bit thicker, almost like a coffee
With sugar- very chocolaty, with a vauge hnt of vanilla

*Marron Chocolat has a extreamly rich flavor, vry warm and delicious

If you like milky sweet choco-tea, this is the tea for you. I don’t taste the nuttiness as much as I’d like, but I enjoy this as a rare treat nonetheless.

Sometimes I really just want to drink a tea that is unforgivingly sweet and flavorful, without the use of sugary syrups (as would be the case at most boba shops). This tea perfectly fit that need! It’s very chocolatey, and adding a little bit of milk and sugar really brings out the notes of chocolate and tea. As previous comments noted, extra steeping time is helpful to get the most of the flavors. The package says to steep for 3-5 minutes; I’d err on the side of longer than shorter.

June Wedding! Time for something new, so here is another sampler I picked up during Lupicia’s mottainai sale just last April. There were five teabags of this tea (whole leaf in sachet) in a tiny collector’s tin. When I opened the tin, the dry leaf smelled just like a sharper and slightly more nutty version of Nutella, and oh, does my love affair with Nutella run strong! So I was really excited for this one!

I was visiting my grandmother this weekend (she has no Internet, so I’m now typing up all my handwritten tea reviews from a notebook for Steepster, hahaha!), and I took this teabag to the restaurant with me where we had breakfast and just ordered hot water. The tea had a very strong nutty aroma and flavor; I’ve never had chestnuts before, so to me this flavor note read as sort of a very sharp hazelnut taste to my tongue. The tea was very naturally sweet (I did notice a very small sugar cube in the dry leaf), and it had a nice milk chocolate/cocoa flavor, but the chocolate didn’t overpower the nutty notes. The base tea was very smooth as well, with a nice lack of bitterness and astringency, and I kept thinking to myself that the base must be a Vietnam black because it had such a natural sort of honeyed-cocoa flavor to it beneath the chocolate flavorings, which I’ve tasted in that particular kind of tea before. As it turns out, the base is a blend of Indian, Vietnamese, and Kenyan teas, so I do wonder if the Vietnamese tea is a little heavier in the blend (if not, it certainly makes its presense known on my palate!)

This was a really nice tea that reminded me so much in flavor of Nutella or chocolate-covered macademia nuts, which are two of my favorite guilty-pleasure foods. I’m definitely going to have to restock this one!

Flavors: Chocolate, Cocoa, Hazelnut, Nutty, Smooth, Sweet

Chestnuts and I have an odd relationship. When I lived in New York, I used to love the smell of the sidewalk vending stands that sold bags of roasted chestnuts in the winter time. But then when I actually ate the chestnuts, I was always just a little disappointed. I think it’s a texture thing primarily, but it could also be that the flavor isn’t like that of other nuts and I expected it to be more like the typical.

So I wasn’t sure what I’d think of this. As it happens, I like it. I’m not sure how to rate it though. I don’t know that I’ve had other chocolate/chestnut teas to compare it to. So I’m giving it somewhere in the excellent range but it’s a soft rating.

In the tin, the tea smells like baking chocolate with some other smell mixed in that I wouldn’t identify as chestnut. But after steeping, the tea smells a lot like those roasting chestnuts on the street corners of NYC. The chocolate seems to add a bit of roastiness to the aroma.

The tea is dark red and mostly clear, with some floaters (likely from the chocolate). The flavor grew on me over the course of the cup. It has just the tiniest bit of papery taste to it which keeps it from getting a rating in the 90s, but is otherwise a nice, balanced flavor, more roasted chestnut than chocolate.

Flavors: Chestnut, Chocolate, Paper, Roasted nuts

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 500 OZ / 14786 ML

A sample from Miss B. I’m still working my way through the exceptionally generous box she sent me a while back now – it just seems to keep on giving! I used 1 tsp of leaf for today’s cup, and gave it 3.5 minutes in boiling water. It brewed up a nice dark amber, so I added a splash of milk. From the dry leaf, it looks like this one is a mixture of CTC and larger black tea leaves, with generous pieces of chestnut and smaller cacao/chocolate fragments.

To taste, it’s absolutely 100% delicious. The flavour is on the delicate side, but it’s the kind of flavouring that seems like it’s part of the tea and not an addition, so I’ve no complaints about that. It’s lightly nutty, with deeper dark chocolate notes, fairly sweet and creamy, and wonderfully smooth. I couldn’t have wished for better for my first “proper” cup of the morning. It’s deliciously dessert-like without being cloying or overpowering, the perfect “comfort” cup for a cold winter’s day.

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 1 tsp

This is my favorite chocolate tea.

Flavors: Chocolate, Dark Bittersweet, Nutty