Roasted Chestnut

Black Green Yerba maté Blend
Almonds, Chinese Black Tea, Flavor, Hojicha, Roasted Yerba Mate
Dark Bittersweet, Maple, Nutty, Roasted nuts, Smooth, Toasty, Almond, Herbs, Roasted, Wood, Caramel, Chocolate, Cocoa, Chestnut
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Mastress Alita

• “Definitely doesn’t taste like Chestnut. More like a bitter medicinal almond. Or maybe Walnuts, but nothing close to chestnut.” Read full tasting note
  • “I first sampled this tea on a very snowy day last winter at my favorite lunch haunt in town, Twin Beans, which sources a small selection of TeaSource teas. The very kind owner there recommended...” Read full tasting note
  • “A bit too dark and roasty for me. It reminds me a lot of burnt coffee. I think it could have been the mate, but I’m not sure. While my sample is a bit old, I would have liked more nutty flavours in...” Read full tasting note
  • “As stated by someone previous I’m really surprised that this tea is rated so low. It makes a great alternative to coffee in the morning for really waking you up and the flavor and aroma is amazing....” Read full tasting note

From TeaSource

This is a deep, dark, rich black tea blend with a delicious aroma. It has a roasty nut flavor with a little sweet silkiness. This is a perfect cooler weather black tea blend. Voted 2016 Customer Favorite Tea.

This has proved to be one of two TeaSource teas that coffee drinkers tend to love. The other is Puer Tuo Cha.

Suggested Steeping Instructions: Use 1 rounded tsp (3 grams) per 8 oz cup boiling water. Steep 2-4 min.

Ingredients: China black tea, roasted yerba mate, Houjicha, flavor, and sliced almonds.

About TeaSource View company

I first sampled this tea on a very snowy day last winter at my favorite lunch haunt in town, Twin Beans, which sources a small selection of TeaSource teas. The very kind owner there recommended this to me as just the sort of thing to warm me up during the blizzard we were having that day, knowing that (especially at the time) I was a fan of flavored blends. It was an impeccable choice; I ended up adding that tea onto my order the next time I made an order from TeaSource!

What I enjoy about this tea is that it is a full-bodied, dark tea with a very roasted, nutty flavor that doesn’t take a sweet, dessert route with a bunch of marzipan flavoring. It isn’t that I don’t like those teas, but they seem to be the norm when it comes to nutty-flavored teas, and it’s much harder to find something with a nutty appeal that is more savory and robust. This tea mixes the China black with roasted yerba mate and houjicha, teas which have a very natural “roasted” or “nutty” flavor to them, which gives the base that sort of a roasted nut flavor. There is a slight natural sweetness to the cup, which to me is a bit like dark chocolate or maple, and blends well with the overall flavor. For being such a dark tea, it is surprisingly smooth and free of astringency, and one of my favorite breakfast teas.

Full Review: https://teatimetuesdayreviews.wordpress.com/2017/11/28/tea48/

Flavors: Dark Bittersweet, Maple, Nutty, Roasted nuts, Smooth, Toasty

A bit too dark and roasty for me. It reminds me a lot of burnt coffee. I think it could have been the mate, but I’m not sure. While my sample is a bit old, I would have liked more nutty flavours in my cup. It might be the age of the sample, though.

Flavors: Almond, Herbs, Roasted, Wood

Mastress Alita

This is one of the teas I have in my home cupboard. I’ve found that it does have a pretty dark, roasty taste on longer steeps (5-6 minutes). That produces a very dark color that does look very coffee-like. I usually steep this one around 3-4 minutes instead, so that it will come out a bit lighter; usually a sort of maple-tone. Mine has a very full, nutty flavor with very strong scented leaves, but with a sort of “toasty” or “roasted nut” appeal. Certainly not desserty like some nut teas I’ve tried.

Arby

That sounds like my experience with it. I’ve had a few cups with it, but none were as desserty as I was hoping.

As stated by someone previous I’m really surprised that this tea is rated so low. It makes a great alternative to coffee in the morning for really waking you up and the flavor and aroma is amazing. I agree that it smells more of almonds than of chestnuts, but for an early morning tea it’s really hard to beat. My wife also loves this tea so this is one of very, very few teas that I buy by the pound. If nothing else try a sample.

Flavors: Almond, Caramel, Chocolate, Cocoa

Not sure why this one has had such low ratings from others. I find it to be absolutely delicious and the perfect holiday tea! The black/oolong base is perfectly balanced: deep and rich but with a nice silky mouth feel and the flavor is spot-on chestnut. I find myself reaching for this one on those days when I’m not in the mood for a straight black tea but I also don’t want the sweet/heavy flavor of the many dessert teas I have in my collection. I gave my roommate 2oz of this one for Christmas and she has already finished it and gone back for another 4oz bag!

Flavors: Chestnut, Nutty, Smooth

i’m skeptical of blends that combine green, black, oolong, white, etc. this one has mate, oolong, and black tea in it, and my first thought is, “sounds like a year-end blend trying to get rid of all the tea that didn’t sell” i wish they had named this almond instead of chestnut. it smells like almond, and it tastes like almond. not as strong of almond as i would like, however. if i drink a flavored tea, i really want the flavor to stand out, and here, it’s really just ho-hum. it’s nothing better than what you could go buy at the grocery store in tea bags, it’s a perfectly okay, but mundane, cup of tea. so there you go.