Kenya Golden Tips Black Tea

Caramel, Almond, Baked Bread, Black Pepper, Brown Sugar, Butter, Cantaloupe, Cedar, Cinnamon, Cream, Eucalyptus, Honey, Honeydew, Lemon Zest, Malt, Mineral, Molasses, Orange Zest, Pine, Sugarcane, Sweet Potatoes, Chocolate, Fruit Punch, Fruity
Edit tea info Last updated by Daylon R Thomas

• “Backlog 5/21 Sipdown caramel, yummy, light – underleafed Consistent cup for 3 steeps. I didn’t want to let it go. I would by more of this if it was available” Read full tasting note
  • “This was the last tea I drank in September as I finished my sample pouch on the last day of the month. It was also a tea that I did not really know how to evaluate, and to be totally honest, I am...” Read full tasting note
  • “Opening the bag the leaves smell ultra fruity and chocolaty. The leaves are a golden color just like the name to. 1st Steep: I get the strong taste of fruit punch and subtle hints of chocolate....” Read full tasting note
  • “Got this along with a few other samples from the 2017 harvest of Kangaita teas from Kenya. Decided to go gongfu with the first session and will probably try western next time. Dry leaves have a...” Read full tasting note

From What-Cha

A wonderfully smooth and fruity sweet golden tip tea with strong notes of honeydew melon, perfect for those who love silver needles but want an even fuller taste.

Kangaita Tea Factory is a Fairtrade certified tea factory specialising in producing high quality orthodox teas including the processing of purple teas. It is located at a high elevation just above 2,000m and processes the leaves collected from 6,594 small-scale tea growers whose farms have a total tea acreage of 1,077 hectares. It is the farmers themselves who are the shareholders of Kangaita Tea Factory and elect the directors of the factory.

Tasting Notes:
- Smooth taste with no bitterness or astringency
- Sweet fruity taste with predominant notes of honeydew melons
- Like a more flavourful and less subtle silver needle

Harvest: February 2017

Packaging: Resealable ziplock bag

About What-Cha View company

Backlog 5/21 Sipdown
caramel, yummy, light – underleafed
Consistent cup for 3 steeps. I didn’t want to let it go.
I would by more of this if it was available

Flavors: Caramel

This was the last tea I drank in September as I finished my sample pouch on the last day of the month. It was also a tea that I did not really know how to evaluate, and to be totally honest, I am still not certain that I do. In terms of taste and aroma, it had more in common with some of Kangaita’s premium white teas than any orthodox black tea I have tried. Overall, it was a unique, memorable, and incredibly likable tea, but it was also so unique that I could never see myself craving it or consuming it regularly.

I prepared this tea gongfu style. After a quick rinse, I steeped 6 grams of loose tea buds in 4 ounces of 194 F water for 5 seconds. This infusion was followed by 16 additional infusions. Steep times for these infusions were as follows: 7 seconds, 9 seconds, 12 seconds, 16 seconds, 20 seconds, 25 seconds, 30 seconds, 40 seconds, 50 seconds, 1 minute, 1 minute 15 seconds, 1 minute 30 seconds, 2 minutes, 3 minutes, 5 minutes, and 7 minutes.

Prior to the rinse, the dry leaf buds emitted aromas of cinnamon, cedar, malt, honey, black pepper, and eucalyptus. After the rinse, I noted new aromas of cream, baked bread, molasses, and sweet potato. The first infusion then introduced scents of orange zest and pine. In the mouth, the tea liquor presented notes of cream, baked bread, orange zest, black pepper, eucalyptus, and cedar that were underscored by hints of pine, honey, cinnamon, roasted almond, and butter. The subsequent infusions introduced scents of lemon zest, cantaloupe, butter, and roasted almond to go with a considerably stronger orange zest aroma. Malt notes belatedly emerged in the mouth alongside more prominent roasted almond and butter notes and slightly stronger cinnamon impressions. Hints of molasses and sweet potato appeared too, but they were fleeting. New mineral, sugarcane, and brown sugar notes emerged along with subtle impressions of cantaloupe and honeydew. Surprisingly, the tea retained its delightful herbal, spicy, and fruity aromas through the very end of the session. By the time I got to the final two or three infusions, I could also still pick out lingering cream, butter, orange zest, black pepper, baked bread, and roasted almond notes that were accented by delicate mineral, cinnamon, brown sugar, lemon zest, and eucalyptus impressions.

A very refined, delicate, and complex tea with tremendous depth, this would normally be the sort of black tea I would be scoring very highly. With this one, however, I just felt that it was difficult enough and subtle enough that I would have to be in the mood for it. Some of the tea’s aromas and flavors (and the way it expressed itself overall) were very similar to both the Kangaita Rhino and Silver Needle white teas also offered by What-Cha, though it also displayed some of the aromas and flavors I tend to associate with many Yunnanese, Indian, Kenyan, and Vietnamese black teas. While it was a very fine tea, it ultimately fell into a gray area for me, and I kind of see it as a tea caught somewhere between two worlds. It was the sort of black tea that had enough in common with white teas to not appeal to me when I’m looking for a good black tea while simultaneously having just enough in common with other black teas to not appeal to me when I’m considering reaching for a white tea. Ultimately, I think this tea may best serve as a gateway black tea for regular white tea drinkers, or it might be the thing to reach for in those rare instances when something truly out of the ordinary is required. All in all, I really liked this tea, but I suppose it just isn’t the sort of thing that is fully geared toward someone like me. Still, I would not caution others to avoid it.

Flavors: Almond, Baked Bread, Black Pepper, Brown Sugar, Butter, Cantaloupe, Cedar, Cinnamon, Cream, Eucalyptus, Honey, Honeydew, Lemon Zest, Malt, Mineral, Molasses, Orange Zest, Pine, Sugarcane, Sweet Potatoes

6 g 4 OZ / 118 ML

1st Steep: I get the strong taste of fruit punch and subtle hints of chocolate. Smooth on the palette. The wet leaves smell a bit like caramel.

2nd & 3rd Steeps: The fruit flavor becomes even more intense and a strong hint of malt remains on the swallow.

4th and beyond: The flavor weakens and dry mouth begins to set in. By the 7th it was almost entirely astringent.

I will defiantly get some 100g bags of this. Its a lovely tea while it lasts.

Flavors: Caramel, Chocolate, Fruit Punch, Malt

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 5 OZ / 150 ML

Decided to go gongfu with the first session and will probably try western next time. Dry leaves have a nice, golden needle appearance and a chocolatey, malty aroma. I found the flavor to be more mellow than I expected, as I often am overwhelmed by black teas, but this one had a nice strength and was distinctly fruity!

Though I describe it as mellow, it is not at all lacking in flavor, and I can see why it is likened to a stronger white tea. Definitely worth a try!

Flavors: Chocolate, Fruity, Malt

4 g

I’m surprised this was not on Steepster. Like the website says, this is basically a more robust version of a silver needle, namely the other white teas that is offered by What-Cha from Kenya. It has a melon taste through every brew-western, gong fu, or grandpa. Every once in a while, it was sweet enough to have a Fruit Loop soaked milk taste. It was a little malty, but barely. It is something that I definitely recommend for a tumbler.

As much as I liked this tea, I was not as impressed with it as I was with the White Rhino. The quality of the tea is still great and one that I am very happy to have purchased, but I can get the same melon flavors with more dimension in the White Rhino. This tea pretty much stays the same throughout with its melon character and syrupy body. There is never a trace of bitterness or astringency to be found, and this tea can be difficult to over brew if you use less leaves.

This is a very unique black tea with a white tea lightness, but without a white teas subtlety. What-Cha always offers high quality teas and this is no exception. It might make some people go “What?” and it might be better for some with a little bit of sugar. White Rhino continues to be my favorite.

Teatotaler

What-Cha is my favorite tea company bar none! White Rhino is fantastic!