2015 Moonlight Sonata

White Tea
Bamboo, Bok Choy, Cherry Wood, Corn Husk, Dill, Grain, Honey, Mineral, Musty, Osmanthus, Tannin, Tea, Vegetal, Wheat, Floral, Sweet, Thick, Clay, Dandelion, Dirt, Flowers, Grass, Spices, Orange Blossom, Bitter, Hay, Malt, Pine, Wood, Spicy, Smooth, Creamy, Citrus, Grapefruit, Peppercorn, Tart, Vinegar, White Grapes, Dry Grass, Herbaceous, Tangy
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaNecromancer

• “What a lovely tea! First of all the tea cake is gorgeous, you almost don’t want to chisel through. The initial aroma gave me hints of citrus and spice. The soup started out a beautiful golden and...” Read full tasting note
  • “Mmmm… I’m really loving the complexities of this one. I just made it as a simple, late night Western mug but I feel like I got such a great array of flavours even with that straight forward...” Read full tasting note
  • “Steep 1: 3 minutes, 80 degrees C water, 450 mL Very light coloured liquid (light yellow), smells like stale dried flowers Flavours of dill and white tea, slightly vegetal. Overall, very light in...” Read full tasting note
  • “This tea tastes like spring. There are happy, bright flowers. There’s honey and citrus. Maybe there are some orange blossoms. Floral is the main descriptor though. Good tea, but not my thing. I’m...” Read full tasting note

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

Flavor wise, the best way to describe Moonlight Sonata is smooth, sweet, spiced honey drizzled into fresh white grape juice and infused with springtime wildflowers and a touch of tangerine. These 100g cakes consist of moonlight white tea and snow chrysanthemum flowers, both from spring 2015. They are ageable and will develop deeper, more malty base notes over the next decade, eventually tasting like a mix between an oolong and black!

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

What a lovely tea! First of all the tea cake is gorgeous, you almost don’t want to chisel through. The initial aroma gave me hints of citrus and spice. The soup started out a beautiful golden and with each steep making its way to an amber. I started my steeps and progressed as follows:
1: 20 sec @170F / 2: 20 sec @170F/ 3: 20 sec @170F/ 4: 20 sec @ 200F / 5: 30 sec @ 160F / 6: 1 minute @ 140F/ 7: 1 minute @ 140F

At the last steep I was loosing flavor…I am thinking I should have gone back up to a warmer temp to try and push it…which will be my note for the next sesh with this tea.

Overall, I loved this tea, it was very very delightful….although this m y first go around with this tea it left a very good impression on me. I plan to explore this more throughout the week.

170 °F / 76 °C 0 min, 30 sec 6 g 5 OZ / 150 ML

Mmmm…

I’m really loving the complexities of this one.

I just made it as a simple, late night Western mug but I feel like I got such a great array of flavours even with that straight forward preparation. The sip started off with sweet hay notes and hints of white peach, and it sort of evolved into this mix of gentle spice notes, herbaceous rosemary/thyme, driftwood. It finished with a very clean, crisp soft honey note, and the entire time all of this had smooth undertones of very floral chrysanthemum. It was both very relaxing, and also quite engaging because of the complexities. I very much enjoyed it.

Steep 1: 3 minutes, 80 degrees C water, 450 mL
Very light coloured liquid (light yellow), smells like stale dried flowers
Flavours of dill and white tea, slightly vegetal. Overall, very light in flavour.

Steep 2: 3 minutes, 80 degrees C water, 450 mL
More tannins and tea flavour. Darker liquid (yellow orange)
Tastes of dill and white tea still present, but there is also a flavour like…minerals? Not exactly ash. Maybe more like musty, but in a good way. Kind of like dried osmanthus flowers. The liquid smells like honey, but doesn’t taste like it.

Steep 3: 2 minutes, 80 degrees C water, 450 mL
Additional flavours of dried plant matter: bamboo leaf and corn husk. Notes of grain and lighht fruits are present, but I can’t say which specific fruits.

Flavors: Bamboo, Bok Choy, Cherry Wood, Corn Husk, Dill, Grain, Honey, Mineral, Musty, Osmanthus, Tannin, Tea, Vegetal, Wheat

175 °F / 79 °C 2 tsp 15 OZ / 450 ML

Floral is the main descriptor though.

Good tea, but not my thing. I’m just not a fan of citrus.

190 °F / 87 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
twinofmunin

the citrus is just so strong. i think i’d like this one a lot more with a bit less citrus.

Hoálatha

Yes! I think I would too.

Backlog.
I used my new pu knife to break a chunk off this cake. It really smells of dill weed.
5g, 75ml gaiwan, 190F
Rinsed once. 20s/30/20×6/25/30/35/40/1m/1/2/5m
Long lasting tea. I eventually stopped when flavor started to fade, though my water was cooling off and I didn’t want to heat more.
Beginning steep was thick with dillweed and a slightly floral flavor. 2nd steep went a little longer and brought out savory and dillflower in addition to dillweed and thick mouthfeel. I didn’t like the savory taste, so I returned to 20s for a while.
Over the next 6 20s steeps, it returned to dillweed, but sweet. Mouth coating, thick and sweet aftertaste. Cause my mouth to tingle. Dill came out more in longer steeps. Faded toward end.
I liked this. Different but good. I’ve entertained getting another cake or two next time I order. 88

Flavors: Dill, Floral, Sweet, Thick

Now, white tea and myself do not always understand one another. But when Super Starling! sent some of this my way, well, who was I to refuse?
So I brewed it up this morning, and boy, if this isn’t some good stuff. It had none of the muskiness that I can sometimes get from white teas, and a lot of really lovely, almost earthy flavor. I might be forgiven for thinking this was a black tea, for a split second. Its very rich, and I really enjoyed it this morning!

Super Starling!

Yay! I liked this one, too! :)

This tea has flowers that you can watch open while you steep it. That’s really fun — and an inkling of what’s to come.

This is a super foresty and earthy blend. At first sip, I didn’t care for it. I was like “am I eating dandelions out of my front yard? Am I a rabbit?” (No. But I am a philistine.)

But as it’s cooled, I really like the deeper notes in here. It’s a claylike*, round taste that I appreciate.

*Disclaimer: I don’t eat a lot of clay, but it’s what I imagine clay would taste like. And, oddly, “clay” is a flavor you can pick below. So I am not the only person that’s like “it’s, you know, a pottery-in-progress kind of taste.”

As I approach the bottom of the cup, I’m really coming around. This isn’t something I would have picked out, but I’m glad I tried it.

I’m going to take this home and try steeping it before bed sometime. I think it would be a nice evening tea. As, I suppose, one would expect from something called “Moonlight Sonata.”

Flavors: Clay, Dandelion, Dirt, Flowers, Grass, Spices

Daylon R Thomas

That stuff actually keeps me up. Did you brew it Western or Gong Fu?

Super Starling!

Daylon, I think that my blood is mostly caffeine, so it’s a wash. I brewed it with a gravity steeper. I think that counts as Western style. I almost never re-steep.

Daylon R Thomas

Western to me is anything longer than two minutes with less than one tea spoon of leaves per eight ounces lol.

Super Starling!

I tend to over-leaf and over-steep for a super rich flavor, but yep, I’m Western style, basically.

Gongfu brewed, Moonlight Sonata has a smooth sweet taste that is a cross between being floral and fruity. It also does very well with numerous infusions. All in all it makes an excellent light evening tea to drink at night.

180 °F / 82 °C

From the Sheng Olympics 2015.

Very unusual visually. There are bright orange bits that I’ve never seen in a non-flavored tea. Looking at the website, I discovered that they are flower petals. The tea has an unusual vegetative taste that came to taste like peppermint. It wasn’t unpleasant but didn’t really excite me. Part of the problem may have been that I thought I was drinking an unflavored tea. Not a lot of cha qi, but i did notice a bit of effect.

200 °F / 93 °C

“Honey Wildfire”

This tea brews a beautiful fiery amber colour and tastes of wild honey. Note: I tend to steep my tea for longer than specified, usually around 5 minutes. The sweet white tea is balanced by the floral notes of Snow Chrysanthemum Flowers. It seems to have a calming effect on me, much like chamomile tea.

The 100 g cake is a fantastic deal. Many of Brenden’s high quality teas can be a bit pricey, but this tea strikes a perfect balance between quality and economy. It is also beautiful to look at with beautiful orange, midnight blue and deep purple colours against a backdrop of silvery white tea.

Brenden’s beautiful description of this tea is what inspired me to sample his teas and I’m glad I did. Come to think of it, although the title of this post, “Honey Wildfire”, was meant to describe the colour and taste notes of the tea, it also melds beautifully with the description of Brenden’s love interest. She is Honey Wildfire.

5 Star.