drank Grand Amour by Nina's Paris

i was curious, so i looked up the history: nina’s paris, (named after the founder’s wife mme nina diaz) was founded in 1672 as the furbishers of fragrance to versailles. it shows.

this tea is red, and round. it actually creates a spherical shape in my mouth. i am not referring to the natural process of swallowing here, i feel the flavour in a spherical shape, over my tongue and against my cheeks.

this blend is an exercise in just enough and not too much; had the raspberry been stonger it may have evolved from a balanced tart to sharp or bitter, but it did not. the red currant adds the round component i think, as well a classic element. the caramel is very quiet… three fingers brushing one time lightly between your shoulder blades after a long day. soothing.

this tea is lovely. i was surprised at first when i learned that the french tea apothecaries were also frequently parfumeries, but it makes perfect sense now. how the two vocations could ever be separate is a foreign thought to me now because it is. so. logical.

while she did not send me this tea, i really must thank ysaurella for playing the part of brilliant catalyst for this part of my tea journey. our swap caught me so offguard i think my heart may continue to dwell in parisien tea houses.

gmathis

Ooh…thanks for the reminder that I haven’t tried my sample of this yet.

JustJames

nina’s paris is one of two companies where caramel even registers with me…. the rest i can’t detect at all. this blend was so very well done!

Bonnie

I was enamored with the sense of being transported by the tea to the Orient Express for some reason. Nina’s reminds me of elegance…brocades velvet, polished wood, leather, perfume, plumes and jewels. Bowls of fruit, flowers and silver samovars.

gmathis

Yum. Bonnie, you’ve missed your calling—you should be writing Victorian novels!

Bonnie

Well, my grandmother was born in San Francisco in 1883. (Not great-grandmother). My mom singing Opera when I was young had some effect on my being a dreamer and a string of exotic travelers in need of lodging in the 1950’s…friends of my linguist Aunt. In other words, I’m old.

gmathis

Suddenly I’m craving Agatha Christie :)

Bonnie

Haha! I still remember dancing with my grandfather at the Fairmont Hotel on Nob Hill in S.F. on my 13th birthday…1961. A scene out of Mad Men, evening gowns and furs.

keychange

Jaaaammmmmmeeeeessss! How much do I have to pay you/what combination of favours would let me snag a teeny teeny sample of this from you? Feel free to say "there’s nothing you can do, keychange, and I’ll politely eff off.

JustJames

lol, you’re already going to be getting some. no begging required (though it is amusing) =0)

Aimee Popovacki

THIS ONE SOUNDS SO GOOD!!

JustJames

hey! how are you feeling?

not so good!

oh no, pm me!

You are a kind person!

Bonnie

He loves me more than you! Hahahah!

ashmanra

I adore this tea. I plan to give it to my future son-in-law as a wedding gift soon, as it is precisely the flavor profile he likes, and the name is perfect! It reminds me of a tea he and my daughter bought for me when they were in Budapest. It is exquisite.

Ysaurella

thanks 4 the big up James :)
but you know the French tea houses were NOT frequently parfumeries (I think Nina’s is the only one – and I may be wrong but this is probably more a question of new business acquisition rather than an historical link – up to Laurent to tell us)

Comments

gmathis

Ooh…thanks for the reminder that I haven’t tried my sample of this yet.

gmathis

Yum. Bonnie, you’ve missed your calling—you should be writing Victorian novels!

gmathis

Suddenly I’m craving Agatha Christie :)

Aimee Popovacki

THIS ONE SOUNDS SO GOOD!!

JustJames

hey! how are you feeling?

not so good!

oh no, pm me!

You are a kind person!

Bonnie

He loves me more than you! Hahahah!

ashmanra

Ysaurella

thanks 4 the big up James :)

Time For A ReWrite!

-COFFEE … rare, nasty, not even a bit funny if i’m exposed. (call me original)

Hi! I’m James!

mandala teas is brilliant and a company i count on.

90-100 i need more
80-90 i might need more, or it might be a respect vote

however, i’m always open to trying things.

dislikes so far: guayasa, darjeeling, most peach teas.

Victoria, BC