drank Tzar Alexandre by Mariage Frères

The weather has been so bad that somehow I am finding myself buying new teas in April! Picking new teas often is an autumn thing for me. But I was craving vanilla tea which somehow I just did not have at home, and found myself returning home with 50 grams each of vanilla tea and nothing less than 2 emperors. The vanilla tea, I will get to it because first brew has not been what i wanted, but this Tzar Alexandre, oh my, am sort of in love. Though a warning, this is a very personal love.

I love lapsang souchong but usually prefer the bergamot in earl greys to not be too strong. This is a light lapsang souchong with light bergamot and somehow tea body. It´s awesome, like how did nobody think of this before, where has this concept been all my life? BUT a warning, not sure if this is a tea for those who do not love lapsang.

The brewing details are not a recommendation, just a note. I brewed it slightly too hot and/or slightly too long, will experiment a bit with it. It survived wrong brewing details with honors, but I think it will be better with water some 5 or 10 degrees cooler.

Ysaurella

was hesitant about this one last time I went to have a tea drink at Mariage tea room, finally I took another one (9 € the teapot makes you think about which tea you really want to taste !)

cteresa

9€ a teapot oh that is enough to buy 100 grams and some left over! Indeed, I might be a miser and prefer to just buy the tea . But do not buy this one, we can swap a bit of this one one of these days?

Ysaurella

yes of course – while in a MF tea room you really relax, they prepare the tea perfectly, everything is so cosy…your teapot is a big one, you can get 4 or 5 cups. but yes each I think…oh I can buy a full tea bag and even 2 tea bags of 100g with this amount…

cteresa

well, that is a good point, sitting in from the weather in a nice set with a properly prepared pot of tea, you are right, it is indeed worth splurging on

Comments

Ysaurella

cteresa

Inconstant tea drinker – I mostly drink tea when not too hot. I hang around steepster much more frequently in (northern hemisphere) cold season.

- Teas -

I like all sorts of tea, flavoured and unflavoured, though I am picky. I am always willing to try anything new. I am now particularly interested in single origins.

I am one of those people who actually loves Lapsang Souchong. I am not crazy about Earl Grey, in general. I don´t quite get Darjeeling teas, but I am trying to make sure …

I like rooibos, though not all bases. I loathe hibiscus. I do not like fennel/liquorice/anise in blends or teas with chicory. I am picky about what I consider true cinnamon.

As you can probably tell from my cupboard, the brands I find more interesting right now are Mariage Fréres,Thé-o-Dor and Yumchaa.

Portugal