I purchased the MW Durascale D2 660 with German HBM weighing sensors nearly 6 weeks ago and have been very pleased with it! :D As soon as I unpacked it I could easily appreciate that it was very well-constructed and quality-oriented. I was amazed how much it weighed especially for its small size.

The two pre-purchase concerns I had turned out to not be an issue at all:

1. Auto-off battery-saving feature: The auto-off provides sufficient time to weigh loose tea especially if you gather everything you’ll need first before turning on the scale. After 60 seconds of inactivity it will turn off. If you need additional time, a light tap on the scale resets the inactivity timer for another 60 seconds.

2. Weighing larger items: Simply remove the scale cover and flip it over to use it as a weighing tray. Tare the weight of the tray. Then one can easily position a 1-Lb bulk tea package on top of the lip of the tray to accurately weigh it.

This pocket-sized digital scale is easily stored in a kitchen drawer, which keeps it dust-free and reduces clutter on the kitchen counter unlike larger kitchen scales. I couldn’t be happier with our new scale. :D

Butiki Teas

I love this scale. I use it for sampling tea all the time. I’m using it right now. Very convenient.

looseTman

Agreed! It’s a much more accurate way to measure compared with teaspoons and it really helps one to have a consistently good cup of tea to enjoy!

Butiki Teas

Absolutely. I’m comparing about 40 2nd Flush Darjeelings right now (late to the game, I know but I was not planning on ordering more 2nd flushes though I have just changed my mind) and I much prefer the weight measurement since they vary in size quite a bit.

JC

I need to get one. I used to have one and I managed to drop it while moving into my apartment. I’ve managed but sometimes you just want to know how much tea you are using.

looseTman

Agreed. This new model has a rubber bumper around the sides to help protect it – a good idea for a portable-type pocket scale.

JC

Good to know. I’ve been meaning to compare two teas and I haven’t because I don’t want to have extra ‘variables’, since they are supposed to be the same tea.

Comments

Butiki Teas

JC

Currently, my focus is on un-flavored orthodox black & pu-erh teas. Cost-effective organic teas or teas that meet the EU Food Safety Commission Pesticide Maximum Residue Limit EUROFINS are also of interest.

I especially enjoy teas with a natural rich chocolate flavor profile as opposed to natural bittersweet cocoa.

Complete steeping instructions on the bag are greatly appreciated:
tsp. (g) / oz. / temp. / rinse? / min. for both Western & Gongfu brewing.

Incomplete, non-specific, or cutesy instructions such as: “Just add water and enjoy.” significantly reduces the possibility that I will purchase that particular tea.

Having to discover the optimum brewing parameters through “trial & error” is too time-inefficient, wastes valuable tea and impairs the progress and joy of tea exploration.

The best tea suppliers evaluate each crop / batch of tea each year to determine the optimum brewing parameters. This insures the best possible first impression of their tea, greatly increases customer satisfaction, and thus increases word-of-mouth advertising – the best form of advertising that money can’t buy. You never have a 2nd chance to make an Outstanding First Impression.

Our most recent orders were from TeaVivre, Verdant, Zen Tea Life, & Mandala Tea. Kudos to Angel Chen, David Duckler, Kenneth Son, Garret Sorensen who have been extremely helpful.

High quality water is essential for excellent tasting tea.
Our 450’ well provides hard water. For details see: http://steepster.com/looseTman/posts/176233#comments.

Solutions:
#1. Rainsoft water softener with
Q2 computerized control valve

#2. Abundant Flow Water
Reverse Osmosis Drinking Water System with re-mineralization filter
Model: Zeta RO: https://www.afwfilters.com/drinking-ro-systems/6-stage-alkaline-zoi-zeta-reverse-osmosis-system-16.html
Includes:
- Dow Filmtec TFC R.O. membrane
- Omnipure Inline Post filter
- Puregen Aptera Alkaline Filter: http://www.puregen.com/products_detail.php?id=301&lang=en

Options:
- Aquatec ERP-500 & ASV 2000
- 3/8" Output
- HM Digital DM-1: http://www.tdsmeter.com/products/dm1.html

My profile picture is a Red-Breasted Nuthatch, an annual winter visitor to our woodpecker feeder.

Mid-Atlantic, USA