We’ve had this classic stainless-steel copper-bottom tea kettle for many years – long before I found Steepster. It’s well suited to Western brewing at 212*F, but not very convenient for Gongfu brewing. I’ve also used it for teas that require temperatures < 212*F with a DAVIDsTEA thermometer/timer.

A classic reliable teakettle is still a good “plan B” if an electric kettle fails and is also very helpful with a gas stove during a power failure. A day w/o tea is definitely not a good day!

I purchased the much more convenient Bonavita Gooseneck Variable-Temp. Electric Kettle http://steepster.com/teaware/bonavita/39130-1-liter-variable-temperature-digital-electric-gooseneck-kettle and am very pleased.

The Zojirushi 4 temperature (175°F, 195°F, 208°F and Vacuum / REBOIL) electric water boiler is a great option for those who need larger quantities of hot water or who need portability.

Sarsonator

I was a little sad to retire my standard kettle also. But the Bonavita is amazing. I really love it so! Can’t comment on the Zojirushi, but I hear those are also good!

looseTman

Sarsonator, Thanks for your comments! A standard kettle is still a good “plan B” if an electric kettle fails. A day w/o tea is definitely not a good day! Agreed, the Bonavita looks very appealing. What caused you to purchase the Bonavita versus it’s competitors?

A quick look at this page shows the highest rated and most popular kettles: http://steepster.com/teaware?Kettle=on

I plan to use our next variable-temp electric kettle for both Western & Gongfu brewing and would welcome Steepster recommendations.

Brooklynsheep

Nice review!

boychik i would get Zojirushi but non stick coating is no no for me. No Teflon in my house.

Im pretty happy with Breville variable. I have Cuisinart as well in my summer house which is fine. I think i like Breville a little more. I do gongfu sessions every day.

looseTman

What’s the issue with Teflon in tea kettles?

boychik

i dont understand why they cannot make out of SS. And why boiling water should be in non stick. Teflon( non stick) linked to cancer. i use ol cast iron for my skillets

looseTman

+1 SS would be better. Thanks for the link!

looseTman

Any thoughts on Breville One Touch Vs. Bonavita Var. Temp. Gooseneck?

boychik

Most of the time i make tea for myself. I try not to drink several cups the same tea unless its Puerh. i also read that One Touch retain flavors. And its pricy. i need to boil water diff temps. I have lots and lots of small pots, gaiwans, Yixing,etc. I bought Breville at bed,bath and beyond with 15%coupon( we get this in a mailpretty often) They have a great return policy, no exp time ,sometimes receipt is not necessary;) If something will go wrong I’ll bring it back to store, no ??’s asked.
I have no opinion on Bonavita.

Sarsonator

I went with the Bonavita because I wanted to be able to set temperature degree by degree. The price was more than I would have liked, but honestly, it looked so nice that I caved. It had so many great reviews that I figured it would be worth it. I do indeed use it every single day. If a tea requires a temp of 177 degrees, I can make that happen. :)

Review Updated 8-22-14

Comments

Sarsonator

Brooklynsheep

Nice review!

looseTman

What’s the issue with Teflon in tea kettles?

looseTman

+1 SS would be better. Thanks for the link!

looseTman

Any thoughts on Breville One Touch Vs. Bonavita Var. Temp. Gooseneck?

boychik

I have no opinion on Bonavita.

Review Updated 8-22-14

Currently, my focus is on un-flavored orthodox black & pu-erh teas. Cost-effective organic teas or teas that meet the EU Food Safety Commission Pesticide Maximum Residue Limit EUROFINS are also of interest.

I especially enjoy teas with a natural rich chocolate flavor profile as opposed to natural bittersweet cocoa.

Complete steeping instructions on the bag are greatly appreciated:
tsp. (g) / oz. / temp. / rinse? / min. for both Western & Gongfu brewing.

Incomplete, non-specific, or cutesy instructions such as: “Just add water and enjoy.” significantly reduces the possibility that I will purchase that particular tea.

Having to discover the optimum brewing parameters through “trial & error” is too time-inefficient, wastes valuable tea and impairs the progress and joy of tea exploration.

The best tea suppliers evaluate each crop / batch of tea each year to determine the optimum brewing parameters. This insures the best possible first impression of their tea, greatly increases customer satisfaction, and thus increases word-of-mouth advertising – the best form of advertising that money can’t buy. You never have a 2nd chance to make an Outstanding First Impression.

Our most recent orders were from TeaVivre, Verdant, Zen Tea Life, & Mandala Tea. Kudos to Angel Chen, David Duckler, Kenneth Son, Garret Sorensen who have been extremely helpful.

High quality water is essential for excellent tasting tea.
Our 450’ well provides hard water. For details see: http://steepster.com/looseTman/posts/176233#comments.

Solutions:
#1. Rainsoft water softener with
Q2 computerized control valve

#2. Abundant Flow Water
Reverse Osmosis Drinking Water System with re-mineralization filter
Model: Zeta RO: https://www.afwfilters.com/drinking-ro-systems/6-stage-alkaline-zoi-zeta-reverse-osmosis-system-16.html
Includes:
- Dow Filmtec TFC R.O. membrane
- Omnipure Inline Post filter
- Puregen Aptera Alkaline Filter: http://www.puregen.com/products_detail.php?id=301&lang=en

Options:
- Aquatec ERP-500 & ASV 2000
- 3/8" Output
- HM Digital DM-1: http://www.tdsmeter.com/products/dm1.html

My profile picture is a Red-Breasted Nuthatch, an annual winter visitor to our woodpecker feeder.

Mid-Atlantic, USA