drank Salted Caramel by DAVIDsTEA

I’m learning, the more I drink this tea, that less is more. Less dry leaf and less steep time has been yielding really great results and I think this is probably the best cup of this I’ve yet to have.

So, for this cup I steeped 1 tsp. for 4 minutes – the minimum steep time that DAVIDsTEA suggests. I’m left with a deep caramel brown liquor with lots of murkyness and floaty bits (the ‘salt’ in the dry leaf) with an oily coat on the top that smells like black tea and really rich, high quality, caramel and toffee. The kind that comes in giant bars that you have to wrestle with the pull of a chunk to eat – which then becomes this elaborate procedure because it’s so thick and sticky it’s nearly impossible to chew. Yum. That’s the best kind of caramel.

For the first time ever, I’m actually getting the “salt” notes that the title of this tea promises yet, up until this point, had never delivered. I also have this great, almost malty black tea base which is standing strongly on its own and the deep, slightly burnt taste of caramel. There is NO astringency or bitterness at all in this cup. Seriously, I’m going to have to say the only reason I haven’t loved drinking this as much as I’m loving drinking it now has got to be user error completely – too much leaf and too much steep time, something I’m guilty of more frequently than I care to admit.

So, as a note to myself, DO NOT OVERLEAF THIS BEAUTY AND DO NOT OVERSTEEP IT. FOUR MINUTES IS YOUR GOLDEN TIME! And, that said (or shouted) I’m going to have to increase my rating.

Cavocorax

That’s great! I’ll add it to my shopping list so I can experiment!