drank Salted Caramel by DAVIDsTEA

I’m learning, the more I drink this tea, that less is more. Less dry leaf and less steep time has been yielding really great results and I think this is probably the best cup of this I’ve yet to have.

So, for this cup I steeped 1 tsp. for 4 minutes – the minimum steep time that DAVIDsTEA suggests. I’m left with a deep caramel brown liquor with lots of murkyness and floaty bits (the ‘salt’ in the dry leaf) with an oily coat on the top that smells like black tea and really rich, high quality, caramel and toffee. The kind that comes in giant bars that you have to wrestle with the pull of a chunk to eat – which then becomes this elaborate procedure because it’s so thick and sticky it’s nearly impossible to chew. Yum. That’s the best kind of caramel.

For the first time ever, I’m actually getting the “salt” notes that the title of this tea promises yet, up until this point, had never delivered. I also have this great, almost malty black tea base which is standing strongly on its own and the deep, slightly burnt taste of caramel. There is NO astringency or bitterness at all in this cup. Seriously, I’m going to have to say the only reason I haven’t loved drinking this as much as I’m loving drinking it now has got to be user error completely – too much leaf and too much steep time, something I’m guilty of more frequently than I care to admit.

So, as a note to myself, DO NOT OVERLEAF THIS BEAUTY AND DO NOT OVERSTEEP IT. FOUR MINUTES IS YOUR GOLDEN TIME! And, that said (or shouted) I’m going to have to increase my rating.

That’s great! I’ll add it to my shopping list so I can experiment!

That’s great! I’ll add it to my shopping list so I can experiment!

You know you’ve got it bad when you get your hobby tattooed to your arm.

Currently, I’m in the process of getting certified as a Tea Sommelier; if you’re interested in hearing more about that give me a shout because I’ve found the process to be really informative as well as quiet fun!

Typically I drink flavoured blends more that straight but one of my mini goals this year is to get that ratio to a more 50/50 level. I do a daily cold brew, and have at least (but usually a lot more) two hot cups of tea every day. Naturally I lean towards black or white blends and as of late oolongs but I WILL drink everything; the last half year or so I’ve been challenging myself by further exploring Oolong and Pu’Erh which are the tea types I know the least about overall.

Least favourite flavours/ingredients:

I’ve got three Tea Pets:

Two Pixiu Dragons named Zak and Wheezie and a monkey named Enzo. If you see me writing about sharing tea with any of them that’s what I’m talking about ;)

The URL to my tumblr blog is: guyfierithirdandfinalantichrist

Regina, SK, Canada