drank With Open Eyes by Butiki Teas

My glass gaiwan arrived in the mail today! I christened it with this blend.

It’s taken me only about forever to finally get this stuff right. I really enjoy the ginger and the strawberry together- perfect springtime tea.

Now if I could only figure out how to pour it from the gaiwan into my teacup without burning the hell out of my fingers…

TheTeaFairy

Congrats on your new gaiwan! I love the glass one, it’s so fun to look at.

Haha! Yes, it takes a little practice, I had my share of burned fingers also. I remember I watched some youtube video to help at the beginning.
You’ll find your own swag with it pretty quickly I’m sure, have fun and keep your fingers safe :-)

teaqueen

Thanks! It’s so beautiful and fragile. I can’t wait to keep working with it until I understand it better! It yields the perfect amount of tea.

Terri HarpLady

I have a glass gaiwan, & it is beautiful to be able to watch the leaves, but it definitely gets super hot! I’ve burnt my fingers using that one more than any other!

teaqueen

I made myself a second cup of With Open Eyes, and I tried letting the gaiwan sit without the saucer or the lid while the leaves steeped, so that they wouldn’t be so hot, then when I was ready to pour it out, I slid the saucer underneath and tilted the lid and it was perfect! No burns. :)

TheTeaFairy

Mine is so light, it helps the handling part I think, I can hold it very loosely with my thumb and middle finger, and I never fill it too much. But I agree that glass makes it a little harder not to burn yourself!

Comments

TheTeaFairy

Congrats on your new gaiwan! I love the glass one, it’s so fun to look at.

Terri HarpLady

TheTeaFairy

Hello! I’m a recent college graduate, trying to find my way in the world. I love literature, politics, and tea.

Favorites: black, oolong, and white teas (anything with chocolate, vanilla, nutty, or spice notes!); pu- erh, yerba mate, chamomile, tulsi.

I have a love-hate relationship with kombucha, and I’m very picky about my chai- It has to have a high-quality black tea base for me to really enjoy it.

Dislikes: Plain green teas, rooibos, honeybush, fruity herbals, hibiscus in high quantities, plain peppermint. (Although I am not opposed to trying blends that cross into these neighborhoods if they come from reputable companies.)

I’m not a swapper, but I hope we can still be friends :)

90-100: Perfection and heaven and magic, all in one cup.

70-89: Good.