Green Tea
Baked Bread, Caramel, Nuts, Roasted Barley
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “Thank you Shelly Lorraine for letting me try this one! I've had only two other houjichas before and I really like them. This one almost looked like little twigs more than green tea (well, brown...” Read full tasting note
    Tea Sipper 1325 tasting notes
  • “Lately, I've been having some tea blahs where I don't really feel like drinking much tea. So as usual, I decided to reset with a hojicha. This one was the first one within reach. Not necessarily my...” Read full tasting note
    jennkay19 450 tasting notes
  • “Not all Hojichas are created equal. Hojicha isn't a commodity -- there are real differences between brands. I gave Mighty Leaf's Organic Hojicha a 93. I might have been more positively disposed...” Read full tasting note
    philhov 19 tasting notes
  • “This smells like nori for some reason. The flavour is certainly roasted, and kinda nutty. Glad I finally got to try this type. And I learned that it doesn't really go with tomato soup.” Read full tasting note
    Lariel 366 tasting notes

From Adagio Teas

Green tea from Japan that is rendered brown by roasting Bancha tea leaves over charcoals. The popularity of our ‘Hojicha Fugue’ stems from its nutty and very accessible mesquite taste. The roasting process lowers its caffeine content. So if you are looking for a low-caffeine green tea, this is a wonderful alternative to our decaffeinated choices.

About Adagio Teas View company

Nothing bad about this tea, but amazingly bland and unintersting flavor. It has a smokey, woody taste… kind of like a barbecue type of taste. Although the subtlety is starting to grow on me… maybe I’ll update this later.

This Green Tea has a very distinct aroma, the roasted leaves give it a very unique taste as well. The first thing I think of when smelling this tea is ‘Camping.’ It doesn’t really give you the same wonderful taste you would find from a roasted peanut, it just tastes kind of odd at first.

I will finish this one up later and let you know my final opinion of the tea. Right now I have to go for a job interview. Wish me luck.

EDIT: It’s later, and I’m having another glass of this and I still feel the same way. I just can’t get into this roasted taste of the tea. If your into a roasted flavor, and it is a very acquired taste, then this may just be for you.

It definitely has a smoked flavor, though I’m afraid I missed the promised Mesquite flavor. Its definitely a niche tea, alongside GenMa Cha and Casablanca Twist. A nice change of pace tea, but certainly not an every day variety. I’ve actually come to like this tea less over time.

Had this recently at a family member’s house. Tasted nutty and roasty. Was pretty good, nothing to write home about though.

This is a good tea but somewhat average. It has a nutty body with a long finish. Good everyday tea, does not excite.