Summer Rose

Floral, Flowers, Lemon, Rose
Edit tea info Last updated by Tabby

From Adagio Teas

Our Summer Rose tea invokes the sweet lingering fragrance of late summer roses winding up a garden trellis. Mellow and deliciously floral, this rose tea is balanced with the bright briskness of a Ceylon black tea. Served hot or iced, it will bring to mind green lawns, porch swings and sunny warm days.

Steep at 212° for 3 minutes.

About Adagio Teas View company

About 85% of teas I drink are unflavored. However, I’m always on the look out for a good rose tea as it is probably my favorite.

My recent purchases:
English Rose by Davids tea
Rose Scented by Harney & Sons
Summer Rose by Adagio teas

I have to say I prefer Adagio’s version. The rose flavor is not too overwhelming, it’s not too oily and it also has a lovely lemony undertone that reminds me of a Hybrid Tea Rose.
My least favorite was Rose Scented by Harney & Sons which was quite surprising because their flavored teas are usually great. Just did not care for this particular one.

I love black tea and rose. It’s a lovely flavor combination. Sweet and floral.

2019 tasting notes

Tried this iced this morning and the rose comes through much better, but isn’t overwhelming.

I love this tea. Chances are that whenever I buy from Adagio, this is part of my order. It’s just rosy enough so that it’s sweet and floral, but not to the degree that I feel like I’m drinking shampoo.

The name of this tea has The White Stripes’s “I Just Don’t Know What To Do With Myself” on repeat in my head. “Like a summer rose needs the sun and rain, I need your sweet love to beat love away…” The lyrics don’t make sense, but I enjoy Jack White just the same.

The first thing I want to say about this tea is how it doesn’t look exactly like the photo. Rose petals naturally fade when they dry, so they’re not the bright magenta you see here. They’re faintly pink, but mostly a sort of cream color. That said, there is a very generous amount of them in my sample. Lovely!

The smell of the dry leaf is very floral, but not exclusively rose. I’m getting hints of lemon, pepper, and magnolia. Mmm, magnolia! The smell poignantly reminds me of the beginning of summer here in the deep south. I wonder if there are magnolia teas out there… that’s something to research for sure.

The brewed tea also smells of rose and magnolia. So summery, so nostalgic. Upon the first sip I notice that it’s not an overwhelmingly floral tea. It certainly doesn’t beat you over the head with the rose. The black tea base is mild and without bitterness or astringency. Much like a yunnan tip or something. Very smooth. Though that might have something to do with the preparation. On the package, it said to brew for three minutes, so I did. Anyway, it’s very gentle and I look forward to finishing the sample.

Flavors: Floral, Flowers, Lemon, Rose

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Sipdown! (8/203)

I was looking through my cupboard and discovered that I still have quite a few teas in there which I don’t have any more, and this was one. Unfortunately, I now have to try to write up notes of old teas I don’t remember all that well, but on the upside, I have at least 5 more sipdowns to add! Yipee.

This was part of my first Adagio order with my fandom samplers, bought to take me over the threshold for free shipping as I was curious of the tea. I am a fan of floral teas, and love anything rose or jasmine, and remember thoroughly enjoying this tea, although I did prefer it with milk and sweetener. Frank’s little brother (two at the time!) also loved this tea – after I gave him a sip of my cup, he insisted on his own little cup of it and drank it all down in just a few seconds, then asked for more! Over a couple of days, he drank down most of my sample of this (with lots of milk) so I only had a couple of cups in the end. If my cupboard weren’t so full, I would probably have a place for this – I don’t think I’ve found anything rose flavoured similarly enjoyable since.

Still experimenting, this time with much lower steeping time. Barely any taste at all without Truvia, but tastes nice as always with it.

0 min, 30 sec 2 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

I adore rose, and cold steeped, this stuff is magic. I like it with a little sweetener so it tastes a bit like candied roses.

Iced 8 min or more 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

I have now reached 300 tasting notes. Exciting, isn’t it? Anyway, this tea has a stronger rose scent brewed. The flavour is bit milder compared to other rose teas I’ve had. It still has that nice floral flavour to it.

Since it’s a ‘Summer’ tea, maybe I should have a cold brew.

Flavors: Rose

boychik

Congrats!!!

Tea Sipper reviewed this tea earlier today, and after reading her positive notes on it I decided it was time to open my own bag of Summer Rose that has been sitting untouched in my cupboard for months now. I ordered it thinking it would help chase away my winter blues, but then I was worried that it would be too rosy. I’m a big chicken that way.

Turns out that this is a really nice tea! The smell is all rose. Strong rose. Once brewed, however, the taste is a nice balance between the base tea and the rose flavor. The base tea is smooth and has a lemon note which makes me think it’s a Ceylon . There is no astringency and no bitterness. The lemon note is light, but it’s undeniably there, and it combines with the rose beautifully. The rose flavor is no where near as strong in taste as it is in smell. In fact, as the tea cools the rose notes become harder to pick up. That was disappointing, but overall I has a very pleasant experience with this tea. It’ll be in high rotation this summer. I may even try it cold brewed.

Thanks Tea Sipper for your great review on this one! :) I’m glad I listened to you and gave it a try.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML