Coffee Pu'erh

Black Pu-erh Blend
Dark Bittersweet, Espresso, Tobacco
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “I'm going for an adventurous start to the new year, with another neglected Bluebird sample. I'm not so sure about this one. Straight off, the scent is telling me it’s a pu'erh. It's earthy, kind of...” Read full tasting note
    Scheherazade 1088 tasting notes
  • “thanks again, Bluebirdteaco.com for the samples! There are plenty of coffee beans in the mix here! After steeping for four minutes, the fragrance is telling me it's a pu-erh but the flavor is a...” Read full tasting note
    Tea Sipper 1536 tasting notes
  • “This is a delightful pu'erh that balances the bitterness of coffee with the funkiness of fermented tea. It really met my caffeine craving and had a nice, deep roasted flavor (much better than the...” Read full tasting note
    hapatite 132 tasting notes
  • “There's this tea place in town that's fairly new - it seems to have an impressive selection on hand and I'd love to sit down and pick the brain of the person who does their baking. The trouble is,...” Read full tasting note
    whatthefoucault 216 tasting notes

From Bluebird Tea Co.

Full bodied, aged Pu’erh tea with notes of coffee

Chinese Pu’erh tea, Columbian coffee beans, Ceylon Black Tea, Vanilla.

So you’re a coffee lover are ya? What’s wrong with you man?! Think of all the wars fought to get us our humble cuppa! You’d better pick your side and quick… But be clever, try this coffee tea and you might just find a better way to get your daily hit!

About Bluebird Tea Co. View company

I’m going for an adventurous start to the new year, with another neglected Bluebird sample. I’m not so sure about this one. Straight off, the scent is telling me it’s a pu’erh. It’s earthy, kind of compost-like, a little bit…putrid? There’s no mistaking it, unfortunately. I distracted myself looking at the coffee beans for a few minutes — there are at least 6 whole, actual beans in this one cup sample — and then I went back to feeling scared. I didn’t give this too long in the water, because I was worried what it would turn into. The liquor is pretty dark after only a couple of minutes, and it’s quite strongly scented. Fortunately, I can detect some coffee notes now, although the overwhelming scent is still pu’erh.

I waited for this to cool a good deal before taking a tentative sip. It’s not as bad as I was expecting — the pu’erh is actually quite mild to taste, but the smell is pretty overwhelming. Deep breath before taking a sip, then! I’ve tried a couple of coffee flavoured teas before, and they’re not really my thing. Logically, perhaps — if I wanted coffee, I’d drink coffee, after all. I requested this as a sample because I was curious to try a couple more pu’erhs, and it was one of a few fairly limited options available to me. I was also hoping that the strong flavour of coffee would mask the pu’erh a little while I get used to the flavour. That was a good assumption to make, but on the whole I’m not really feeling this one. I can taste coffee, but it’s not a particularly fresh tasting coffee. I am pleased that I didn’t have to dump the cup, though. It’s pleasant enough that I’ll be able to finish it, but probably not one I’d come back to again. Sorry Bluebird — it’s not you, it’s me.

Anna

I want to try more pu’erhs, too. They can seriously range all the way from horrifying to delectable. This is a flavoured one I loved:

mmm i second puerh gourmand. You might also like lupicia’s chocolate/strawberry puerh and there’s another one i can’t for the life of my think of right now..

Anna

Ugh! This website will be the death of me. Okay, FINE, Sil, adding Lupicia’s choc/strawberry to the shopping list.

be warned it’s more flavoured than puerh…whereas i consider puerh gourmand to be puerh with some flavour…if that makes sense.

Anna

It does make sense. Either way, you’re evil.

if it makes you feel better i now have a cart built at lupicia, though i will do my best not to “buy.”

Anna

That makes you even more evil, because I can’t get Lupicia tea here and it makes me want to cry. They only ship in/to France, and I won’t be in the US until March. Patience. Patience is a virtue.

they don’t ship to canada…i have to beg my tea mule to bring it up for me heh

Anna

Okay, I feel better now. Shared tea pain is lessened tea pain.

thanks again, Bluebirdteaco.com for the samples! There are plenty of coffee beans in the mix here! After steeping for four minutes, the fragrance is telling me it’s a pu-erh but the flavor is a delicious coffee! It’s such a nice change. I’d say that coffee beans like this could turn me into a coffee drinker, but I love my tea too much! A fine example of a pu-erh and a good one to start with if you want to try one, since it is also mixed with black tea. It’s a nice mild pu-erh but you can tell it’s a pu-erh and it blends very well with the coffee. The second steep went for six minutes but there is less of a coffee flavor this time around. Very happy with this one. I’d buy this one as a tea-that-tastes-like-coffee tea. It’s like a triple threat: pu-erh, black tea and coffee!

Cavocorax

That sounds interesting! I can’t wait for my bluebird order to arrive!

This is a delightful pu’erh that balances the bitterness of coffee with the funkiness of fermented tea. It really met my caffeine craving and had a nice, deep roasted flavor (much better than the caramel macchiato from Lupicia or cafe mate from Capital Teas)

Thanks Nattie for sending me this from across the pond as part of our Hapa-tite! Tea Swap!

Flavors: Dark Bittersweet, Espresso, Tobacco

There’s this tea place in town that’s fairly new – it seems to have an impressive selection on hand and I’d love to sit down and pick the brain of the person who does their baking. The trouble is, they’re cool. And by cool I mean that the staff are attractive and thin and act like your presence is a major imposition on their time and they’d rather do anything other than make you a cup of tea. A friend of mine chalks this up to the fact that North American style customer service is a relatively recent import into the UK, but I’ve seen this in North America. It’s that shitty snobby attitude some cool shops have that they think makes them cool.

Which is crap, because I’m cool and I’m also really friendly. And you know what? Bluebird are cool and they’re really friendly, too. There’s something really lovely about people who are clearly passionate about what they produce and are enthusiastic about sharing it, especially when it’s really, really good.

I wanted something grounding and smooth this morning, and this fits the bill perfectly. Unlike coffee, which tastes weird to me with anything lighter than half and half cream (which is all too rare in Manchester supermarkets) this is so creamy and good with milk, and I don’t know how the farm flavour of pu-erh works with coffee, but it does so well. Mmmmmmm. Good.

Nattie

What’s the tea place called? Thinking of making a trip to Manchester in a couple of weeks and want to bring back some tea (there is no loose leaf in Huddersfield!!)

Sami Kelsh

It’s called Propertea, just next to the cathedral. What’s weird is I think it’s part-owned by the same folks as Teacup Kitchen, where they were really nice. There’s also Sugar Junction, which I intend to test out with Gentleman when he’s back from Japan; their Northern Quarter blend sounds gooood.

yay for new tea shops…boo on blechy service

Sami Kelsh

Agreed. What’s with places who think indifferent shop assistants is good for business? Maybe I’ve just spent so many years in giving excellent customer service myself that I’m hyperaware of when somebody is plainly just, like, snooty and awful.

Nattie

Wow, that is a lot of tea places! I’ll have to check them out, thanks (: as for the service, I noticed last time I was in Manchester the service in a few places I went wasn’t great, compared to back home (near Newcastle) where I’m used to super friendly American-style service. It may have something to do with the North East in general, or because it’s a small town compared to a city like Manchester. Whatever it is, it saved me a tip!

Sami Kelsh

It’s definitely in part a size thing, as I always notice that people are less open and friendly in London than they are in Manchester! And if you get a little bit out of the city, a random kid on a walking trail will start chatting to you and your friend about whether you like England or Canadia better.

(He called it Canadia. SO cute. Then he shouted ahead to his sister, “Hey Laura, this lady’s Canadian!” and I sort of waved and said hi and it was so cute)

Nattie

Yeah I definitely think that plays a part in it. It makes me miss home when I go somewhere people are cold ):

Haha aww, that’s adorable! ^^ kids can be so cute

Sami Kelsh

I think that’s why I feel so much more isolated a lot of the time in certain big cities: less so Manchester than London or Toronto, mind. Then there’s NYC, which is a whole other kettle of fish that I absolutely adore. And then there’s LA, which is a terrifying, terrifying place that I only go to for professional development (read: getting tipsy with a bunch of friends who write for Doctor Who and probably snogging some people) but I feel more comfortable in mid-sized cities, where it’s not so nuts.

Nattie

Yep, mid-sized in best for me, too, I’ve found (: I rather love London, though! I was taken there for my 13th birthday and fell absolutely in love with the place, whenever I go back it still feels magical. I don’t think I’d like to live and work there, though, and see the big industrial side of it. Manchester is great, too. I went there for the first time only about 6 months back!

Nattie

And I’m sorry, but “friends who write for Doctor Who”??? :O That would be the best job ever.

Sami Kelsh

I think living sort of on the fringes of London might not be so overwhelming – like, but I doubt I’d ever have a high enough income to find out anyway!

I am so sad that I have yet to write for Doctor Who. One of these days…

Nattie

Haha yeah, it is ridiculously expensive down there! Manchester is a great place to be anyway for a writer, what with the BBC and everything (: I’m sure you can do it! It would be so amazing.

Sami Kelsh

I’m going to keep trying to infiltrate the moat until they file a restraining order :p

Nattie

Sounds like a good idea to me! But then again, I may have occasional boundary issues…

Sami Kelsh

Heehee, I try very hard not to!

Mike Turner

Thanks very much for this – it made me smile. Nice to know we’re getting customer service right!