Meng Ding Huang Ya

Yellow Tea
Yellow Tea Leaves
Biting, Black Pepper, Butter, Corn Husk, Cream, Hazelnut, Herbaceous, Herbs, Lemon, Nutty, Roasted, Vanilla
Edit tea info Last updated by Random Carpe Diem

From Camellia Sinensis

This yellow tea composed almost entirely of buds comes from Sichuan province. Its magnificent young shoots are selected before being covered with the fine hairs typical of that grade of imperial picking! Its light yellow liquor is sweet and tasty. Bold hazelnut aromas are complemented by hints of vanilla and herbs. The finish is supported by its creamy texture and sweet taste. In the tradition of great teas – preferably to be enjoyed in a Gaiwan in a careful ambiance

About Camellia Sinensis View company

This is a great yellow tea. It is bold and complex, very buttery and it develops some quiet peppery notes during additional steeping. The infusion is perfectly clear and intensely yellow.

Went on a late night adventure!

It’s currently quarter to midnight or thereabouts and I figured I’d make myself some tea and enjoy it in the backyard – we just had a heavy rainfall and it’s a beautiful temperature out and the fresh smell of petrichor is everywhere drawing me in.

Since I haven’t had this super interesting tea since that first Gong Fu session I really wanted to make it again; it cost my Dad a pretty penny to buy it for me for a birthday gift (something like $30 for an ounce!?) and while I don’t want to just guzzle it down I suppose there’s no good in having it if I’m never going to make it. I opted to steep this western style in a big glass mug, even though I know that’s probably not the best way to enjoy it, since Gong Fu probably isn’t a realistic option outdoors right now. Also; I need to go to bed soon as well so more than two infusions would be a bad idea too. -3g/12 oz. at 80C for 5 min as per Camellia Sinensis’ recommended brewing instructions. -

I got outside and went to the backyard, and it was beautiful but I immediately realized that while I definitely wanted to be outdoors I didn’t want to be still. So, I went for a walk for a couple blocks, mug still in hand, without glasses/contacts in the black of night and drank my tea. I was blind as a bat; and lucky I live in a relatively nice, suburban ‘soccer-mom’ kind of neighborhood where midnight walks are still a safe and ok thing to do. I actually only ran into one person; and they gave me a strange look since I was walking around drinking tea from a mug at midnight(ish) on a Friday, seemingly headed nowhere.

The tea was pretty delightful though; the strongest flavor was a rich, nutty hazelnut note but other notes like chestnut, hay, and a toastier note like barley or brown rice were also present. Some buttery notes as well; nothing excessive. The finish was also a little peppery/spicy as well. One thing I will also note is that it wasn’t as smooth as I recall the Gong Fu being, nor quite as sweet. While far from bitter there was some astringency and sharpness, most notably a dryness in the back of my throat after each sip. To be fair, I did say that I knew this wouldn’t be as good as the Gong Fu session though.

Another I removed from the Lewis & Clark teabox as there was one serving left. I tried to steep this tea like the other yellow tea I tried before, though the leaves look different. These kind of look like sencha leaves, wide and flat, but the color is a dustier muted light grey. There ended up being two teaspoons of leaves here which I used the last time for the yellow tea anyway. The dry leaves certainly have a nutty aroma!

Steep #1 // 20 min after boiling // 2 min steep
This one is much different from the other yellow tea that was entirely lemon (like a lemon dusted cake or something). This one is mostly like a mao feng type green tea, nutty creamed corn flavor but there are hints of the faintest lemon in the aftertaste. The tea does leave my mouth a little dry, but it’s an okay flavor. Maybe not as nice as a green tea and certainly not as nice as the other yellow tea I tried (maybe because it was so different).

Steep #2 // 20 min a.b. // 2-3 min
This cup wasn’t as good. A little bitey. It’s odd when I find second steeps of white teas are amazing but second steeps of yellow teas (at least the two I’ve tried) haven’t been memorable. Of course, I could be steeping them incorrectly.

L&CTTB

interesting.

sort of roasty and nutty. somewhat sweet. kind of creamy taste to it.

After I had it western style, I saw that people did this in a gaiwan gongfu and I bet that would be great. Ah well.

Hazelnut, butter, vanilla and a slight herbal taste…this is a wonderful tea. One to be steeped in a Gaiwan starting at 30 seconds and then to be enjoyed over and over again in multiple steeps. A delightful tea for a time of pondering…best straight and on its own.

Flavors: Butter, Hazelnut, Herbaceous, Vanilla

180 °F / 82 °C 0 min, 30 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

The directions on the bag said 5 mins?! I listened, and wow I knew that was way too long. It’s become a bitter bitter and astringent. Theres also a nutty quality. Also some vegetal and roasted smell. I know see the gaiwan method, and will use the last of my sample on trying that method.