Douglas Fir Tip Tea

Herbal Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Shmiracles

From Juniper Ridge

This tea is made from 100% Douglas Fir spring tips from the coastal mountains of Northern California and the Pacific Northwest. Nothing else has been added to it, so you can experience the pure, wild taste and foresty aroma of this distinctly Northwestern wild herb delicacy.

About Juniper Ridge View company

This will be my last logged tea before leaving florida tomorrow for my cross-country road trip and move to Seattle, Washington!
Living in the Pacific Northwest has been my dream since visiting 2 years ago, and now it will be my home.
My boyfriend and I are making the drive all the way from south Florida, and plan to stop in Roswell, NM, then the Grand Canyon, then California and Yosemite, and then most amazing of all, onto the Redwoods!! I will finally see them for real. I also cannot wait to see Oregon,  which I feel so connected to even though I’ve never been there.
My plan is to study the forests and determine my place in the environmental and forestry field. There is nothing I love more than the trees and forests, and I want to be near them always.

A friend of mine brought this tea over who funnily enough got it from a friend in Seattle, while the tea itself comes from Oregon.
The magical scent of this tea alone immediately makes it the best tea ever. It is the tea to end all teas for me.
It smells like a forest, and burning a Frasier Fir candle at the same time transforms my room into one. I cannot wait to be in a real forest and to drink this tea among the trees.

What was even more special about my first time having this tea was that my favorite song ever came on my pandora while drinking it. The song is When I Grow Up by Fever Ray http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F-CpE73o2M&feature=youtube_gdata_player
When I hear it, I understand why I am alive. I know where I want to be and what I want to do.

I can drink this tea forever.
I can’t explain the tree flavor other than its lovely, and has a lemon-like concentrated end.
Its super calming.
I also feel a special energy from this tea. Sort of like when I’m sitting on the ground leaning against a tree, and I get this incredible relaxed and happy feeling in my back. Its hard to explain.

This is literally, my Cup of Tree.

West coast!! here I come!!!!! Woohoo!!!!

Alphakitty

I have been meaning to try this out for a long time, I think your review has pushed it into “must order” territory!

Indigobloom

Have a great trip!! sounds like you experienced Tea Chi. Love that feeling!

CupofTree

Thank you Indigobloom! Funny it does just feel like a trip but I’m actually moving over there and I can’t believe it.
Tea Chi for sure :)

Invader Zim

I hope you have a wonderful move! I made a similar journey two years ago, from San Diego to Baltimore, it was amazing. Stay safe, and the Grand Canyon is one of the most awe-inspiring things you will ever witness. I have never seen the Redwoods though, it’s always been a dream.

Hesper June

Best of luck with the move! I love the Seattle area. Such a lovely place:)

Donna A

Have a wonderful safe trip. You’re going to a great place for forests! My mother-in-law lives in Port Angeles on the Puget Sound. Beautiful place. I moved to LA in a car in 1978, right out of college. Met my husband there, came back with him to the East Coast for career and family reasons in 1985. But the road trips were great each way. We’re in the Atlanta area now and have raised 3 kids. It is great to follow your dreams by having a great adventure like this when you are young.

TheTeaFairy

very inspiring, good luck with everything!
p.s. great video:-)

Bonnie

I have a lifetime of great memories in all the places you’re about to visit and live. You are just beginning! I’ll tell you one thing…drinking tea will mean much more once you’ve connected with the trees and the forest floor. (especially pu-erh for me). Have the grandest time in the quiet!

CupofTree

Thank you so much every one! :)

CupofTree

@InvaderZim I hope you visit the Redwoods in the future!
@DonnaA I cant wait to visit Port Angeles!
@Bonnie Ahh yes, the quiet :)

CupofTree

@Hesper It really is, hopefully you can go back there!
@TeaFairy If I Had a Heart by Fever Ray is good too. :)

momo

Have an amazing trip! I’m so excited for you!

Claire

Have a safe and easy move! This summer I moved to SF after living in Ashland, Oregon for the past two and a half years, and I miss it quite a bit.

Thank you momo! :D

CupofTree

@Claire Thank you! Aww I would miss it too. Will you be moving back?

Claire

CupofTree – probably not, I moved back to California because Rayn is here and I missed him more than I miss Oregon. :) He works in IT, so as much as I would love for us both to move up to Oregon it would be very hard for him to find a job there.

Indigobloom

oh! I saw “road trip” and that stuck in my head haha. I’ve seen pics of the Redwoods, they’re gorgeous

Amariel

I had a similar move almost 7 years ago…Orlando, FL to Victoria, BC…we took 7 weeks to cross the country and visit family, friends, and sights along the way.

Not only did I want to try this one because of the SEASON but because I’m divvying my stash and paying some forward and will send the rest of this to Azzrian

I cold brewed this and it’s not too shabby cold, but I do like it even more hot!

See previous notes

Azzrian

This one sounds very interesting – thank you.

LiberTEAS

I think I may have already sent some of this to Azzrian … but, it is yummy … so I’m sure she won’t mind a couple more cups!

TeaEqualsBliss

Ahhh! Well, if you get doubles feel free to use for swap ammo :)

I chose this one for Afternoon Throat Soothing. If you are going to be sick around the holidays, why not drink pine needles!!!? :) It is doing the job admirably. I love the lemony gentle pine flavor. I plan to steep this one until I leave for the day, because something warm for my throat is making all the difference.

Thank you to Jaime for sending me some of this tea in my Secret Santa package!

This tisane smells like outside! Here in the Pacific Northwest we are surrounded by Douglas Fir trees, so I wasn’t surprised to read learn the Douglas Fir Tips in this were harvested from the Pacific Northwest (as well as Northern California).

I don’t think I’ve ever tasted a tisane made from pine trees before… this is a first for me. It is surprisingly good! It has a lemony taste to it. It also has a mint-like taste to it that isn’t quite mint. Like someone was trying to recreate the taste of peppermint and almost got there. It has a very crisp, clean and invigorating taste to it that tastes the way the air feels when we go for a hike in the forests of the gorge.

I like this a lot more than I thought I would! Thanks again, Jaime!

Cofftea

I know you “wing” a lot of your teas. What were your approx parameters for this? I could never get the pine tisane strong enough when I made it from my own trees.

Caitlin

I didn’t know pine trees were edible – haha

JacquelineM

My friend at work gave me another tisane from this company – white sage and wild mint! Waiting for the right day to try it :)

The DJBooth

I knew that you could make a tisane out of pine needles sounds fab. I’ve thought that Keemun teas I’ve had have a piney tasted to them…

Geoffrey Norman

Loved this stuff. It tasted like Christmas.

LiberTEAS

@Geoffrey, yes it did! But it didn’t really come off as “pine” tasting. My fear was that it would taste like Lapsang Souchong (I’m not a big fan of Lapsang Souchong) but it isn’t really smoky, or even really like wood. It just has a clean, fresh taste that reminds me of the forest!

De-cupboarding the last of this that I got from Jaime. This seemed like the best time to do it. We – my brother and I – just put up the Christmas tree (well, actually, it was all him), but I did the brewing of this. However, I hogged the Santa Claus mug. Its just as foresty, minty, and Christmas-like as I remembered the first time. Perfect time o’ year for this.

Backlogging from a day or two ago. This is a delicious and unusual tea. It does have the expected “piney” or evergreen flavor, but it has a subtle sweetness that was unexpected. I would recommend shorter steeps or lower temps, since it got sort of sludgy on me.

This was an impulse buy at Whole Foods. A very calming, meditative tea. Reminds me of a really nice incense perfume—balsam, a very light floral, a feeling of clean. But not cleaning product, thankfully.

Thank you so much for turning me onto this tea! I grew up in oregon too, but i never would have guessed douglas fir would taste light and lemony like this. The box says there’s nothing in here but real doug fir needles – so earthy, lemony and my favorite part? when i brew it up I let it steep in the tea pot, and my whole house smells like a forest!

I found this “tea” at a health foods store in Louisville, Ky. I was looking for something different, and can you get much different than drinking a tea made from fir trees?

There are no brewing suggestions on the box, nor on the company’s website. So I tried it out for 5 minutes with boiling water.

Have you ever had a real, live Christmas tree in your home? This tea smells just like a Christmas tree, but with a little lemony edge.

The taste is very earthy, deeper and thicker than a nutty green tea; you can definitely taste the tree. There’s also a taste similar to lemon verbena.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised at how good this tea is. I don’t know if it will become one of my staples, but it won’t be sitting in the cabinet forever, either.

Tasting this tea immediately reminded me of the scent from the juniper trees my parents would always buy as part of the Christmas tradition of decorating a ‘Christmas tree.’ While the taste of the tea is fairly mild and the aroma is unique, it does have one unpleasurable side effect: headaches. Never once have I prepared this tea and come away without a mild headache coupled with moderate unease – the kind you get when you’re sensitive to anti-histamines. If you can sample this tea without any ill effects, I’d say more power to you. For me, I can’t handle this particular brew.