2008 Menghai Dayi Song of Chi Tse Ripe Pu’er Tea

Chocolate
Edit tea info Last updated by DigniTea
Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 6 g 4 oz / 116 ml

3 Images

• “Thank you so much boychick for this sample! I am finally getting to trying and reviewing this tea. The leaves are nice and dark, it come apart easily into my gaiwan. I rinsed...” Read full tasting note
    thelastdodo 243 tasting notes
  • “This seems to be a popular tea on Steepster and I like it too. I just bought a sample so I don’t have a lot, but so far it’s really good. As others have noted it doesn’t have much...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2727 tasting notes
  • “This is a rich, smooth and mellow tea and this premium shou does not disappoint. Easy to drink; smooth and mellow; full of flavor. The cake presents very dark leaves – on the smaller side; fairly...” Read full tasting note
    Dignitea 234 tasting notes
  • “So I gave this try due to Allan’s very positive review. I found that it was not for me. It is kind of mushroomy, which I personally don’t care for. Otherwise it was earthy and deep....” Read full tasting note
    RichD 122 tasting notes

From Menghai Tea Factory (berylleb on ebay)

2008 Menghai Dayi Song of Chi Tse Ripe 357g
Limited production for the 3rd Yunnan Tea exposition. The tea is made from the fat and tender tea leaves, and mixes large mature leaves, ensures that the tea has better smooth and thick and balanced and mellow taste. The tea also has high pure Pu’er tea flavor. It yields a thick bright red broth with mellow, smooth and varied tastes and lingering undertones, as the name of it “Song of Chi Tse”.

About Menghai Tea Factory (berylleb on ebay) View company

I rinsed twice, then steeped it for 5sec/5/5/10/10/20/20/20/20/30……

I’m on my second day, and boy, I’m glad I let it rest overnight, it became a much happier shupu after a good night’s rest. I rinsed it twice and did three flash brews, and the color and flavor were quite light. This morning and afternoon, it became a much richer color, texture and flavor. Hot summer rain and wet moss notes combined with some nice cocoa and mushrooms. I had to take a break earlier, I was getting a bit too teadrunk on it!

boychik

yay, so glad you like it. its one of my many many favorites haha

Tealizzy

Ooh! I pulled a sample of this from the TTB. Gotta try it!

As others have noted it doesn’t have much fermentation flavor, it is very smooth and rich. I am getting notes of chocolate and cinnamon in my cup. Overall, a very pleasant shu that has a tiny bit of bittersweetness that reminds me of toasted grain.

I am bummed that I broke my yixing for wuyi oolongs (just when I was starting to use it more). I guess I will on the lookout for another one soon! ;)

boychik

Oh nooooo :(. Which one ?

the black one – check my IG

boychik

So sorry. I loved that pot.

me too. oh well….

This is a rich, smooth and mellow tea and this premium shou does not disappoint. Easy to drink; smooth and mellow; full of flavor. The cake presents very dark leaves – on the smaller side; fairly tight compression. Double rinse and then multiple steeps yielding a perfectly clear dark reddish brown tea liquor. The flavor sits densely in the middle of the mouth, radiating sweetness and hints of tangy leather and dark chocolate. The tea never seems to get bitter even when pushed, and is consistently giving me the same quality right from the start to the end. Very much enjoyed my session with this tea and I am left alert, my lips buzzing.

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
Luca Jooste

Hey, is it sorth buying even if I haven’t had a sample yet, I’m doubting to get it on dragon tea house, what do you recommend, 50, 100, or more grams!?!

So I gave this try due to Allan’s very positive review. I found that it was not for me. It is kind of mushroomy, which I personally don’t care for. Otherwise it was earthy and deep. Very strong caffeine and cha qi, probably the highest kick factor I’ve ever experienced from a ripe pu erh.

This tea made me so so so so so so so so so SO happy. Of happiness.

Only one rinse was needed and the color is deeper than ruby, like a garnet. And AllanK was right – zero fermentation flavor, no dirty flavors. This tastes like chocolate mushrooms. That may not sound appetizing, but I assure you, it’s the fucking BOMB, yo.

This is my new fave shou. Thanks for the sample, Allan!!!!

I did one session with three steeps, then another, then another. A total of 9 steeps, which got smoother as they went along.

From the start, I felt buzzy. At one point during the 2nd session, I realized that I dazed out. When I came to, I felt kind of dizzy and happy. Tea drunk, indeed!

I also kept staring into the cup, kind of mesmerized by the color.

To sum up: WOW. So yumz. Much happy. Wow. So garnet. Tea drunkies.

TheTeaFairy

Little sarsy is now shouing!!! Weehee!!

TheTeaFairy

And yo. Chocolate mushies!!

mrmopar

I am going to start calling you Shousique…

Sarsonator

LOL. Y’all are so funny! :)

AllanK

I told you it was good. I don’t get tea drunk from it though.

Cwyn

Nice!

Sarsonator

I had to buy some because the thought of life without it was sad. This is definitely a good one!

KiwiDelight

OOooooo this sounds magical! yay for getting tea drunk from shu!!

TeaBrat

It’s hard to go wrong with the Menghai tea factory.

Skulleigh

It sounds like an experience in a cup! :)

Sarsonator

I’m so excited to be getting more of this. I think it can definitely turn a frown upside down! LOL

mrmopar

Did you get it from Berylleb? If so message me and I can tell you a bit on how to save some $ from them.

Thanks, mrmo! I did!

Thanks ZTJASFB! LOL Maybe I will call you Zen. I love the whole name, but its not easy to type on an iphone :)

This tea has cleared. It has virtually no fermentation flavor left. It is among the very best of Puerhs. There is a slight, very slight bitterness in the early infusions. This soon goes away and you are left with a smooth ripe puerh with a little bit of natural sweetness. There are a plethora of flavor notes to this tea. I detected chocolate, and I am not sure if it was because I added a small amount of sugar, but I also detected caramel.

I steeped this 10 times in a 130ml Yixing teapot. I used 4.5g leaf and boiling water. I steeped it for 15 sec, 15 sec, 15 sec, 15 sec, 15 sec, 30 sec, 30 sec, 1 min, 1 min, 2 min. Berylleb King Tea has done an excellent job with the storage of this puerh. I am considering buying a second so I have one for future years.

Flavors: Chocolate

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 4 g 4 OZ / 130 ML
Rich

I have a sample of this on the way. I look forward to trying it, especially as it is reasonably priced!

Sarsonator

10 steeps is decent! I’m excited to try a shou that doesn’t have that fermentation flavor!

AllanK

Your pallet might be sensitive enough to detect a little, but not very much because it just isn’t there. I would say it is 98% gone in this tea and 75 % gone in the 2010 Golden Needle White Lotus. It is also gone in the 2006 Lucky Dragon.