2008 Menghai Dayi Song of Chi Tse Ripe Pu’er Tea

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by DigniTea
Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 6 g 4 oz / 116 ml

3 Images

From Menghai Tea Factory (berylleb on ebay)

2008 Menghai Dayi Song of Chi Tse Ripe 357g
Limited production for the 3rd Yunnan Tea exposition. The tea is made from the fat and tender tea leaves, and mixes large mature leaves, ensures that the tea has better smooth and thick and balanced and mellow taste. The tea also has high pure Pu’er tea flavor. It yields a thick bright red broth with mellow, smooth and varied tastes and lingering undertones, as the name of it “Song of Chi Tse”.

About Menghai Tea Factory (berylleb on ebay) View company

my “2008” puerh for today. this one is a smooth tasting puerh. After a few steeps i still haven’t gotten a handle on it. it’s sweet..and very much a shou. Some elements of rich cocoa… hmmm enjoying this so far. but glad i have the day to explore.

From the Sheng and Shou TTB.

I’ve been wanting to try this for awhile, so jumped on the last little bit in the box. I enjoyed a few infusions last night and then returned to it this morning because the leaf was still not fully opened. It was smooth, sweet, and I think I got some date flavor at the beginning. Definitely a good one and I wish I had more to play with.

I like this one. Sarsy LOVES it – one of her faves.

Thank you so much boychick for this sample! I am finally getting to trying and reviewing this tea. The leaves are nice and dark, it come apart easily into my gaiwan.

I rinsed twice, then steeped it for 5sec/5/5/10/10/20/20/20/20/30……

I’m on my second day, and boy, I’m glad I let it rest overnight, it became a much happier shupu after a good night’s rest. I rinsed it twice and did three flash brews, and the color and flavor were quite light. This morning and afternoon, it became a much richer color, texture and flavor. Hot summer rain and wet moss notes combined with some nice cocoa and mushrooms. I had to take a break earlier, I was getting a bit too teadrunk on it!

yay, so glad you like it. its one of my many many favorites haha

Ooh! I pulled a sample of this from the TTB. Gotta try it!

This seems to be a popular tea on Steepster and I like it too. I just bought a sample so I don’t have a lot, but so far it’s really good.

As others have noted it doesn’t have much fermentation flavor, it is very smooth and rich. I am getting notes of chocolate and cinnamon in my cup. Overall, a very pleasant shu that has a tiny bit of bittersweetness that reminds me of toasted grain.

I am bummed that I broke my yixing for wuyi oolongs (just when I was starting to use it more). I guess I will on the lookout for another one soon! ;)

Oh nooooo :(. Which one ?

the black one – check my IG

So sorry. I loved that pot.

me too. oh well….

This is a rich, smooth and mellow tea and this premium shou does not disappoint. Easy to drink; smooth and mellow; full of flavor. The cake presents very dark leaves – on the smaller side; fairly tight compression. Double rinse and then multiple steeps yielding a perfectly clear dark reddish brown tea liquor. The flavor sits densely in the middle of the mouth, radiating sweetness and hints of tangy leather and dark chocolate. The tea never seems to get bitter even when pushed, and is consistently giving me the same quality right from the start to the end. Very much enjoyed my session with this tea and I am left alert, my lips buzzing.

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
Luca Jooste

Hey, is it sorth buying even if I haven’t had a sample yet, I’m doubting to get it on dragon tea house, what do you recommend, 50, 100, or more grams!?!

I reviewed this tea a while back. My old review is below. I think I got a bad sample because it was bad. It was a strange experience at that time. My body told me ‘no way’ and to immediately instructed me to throw it in the garbage. But when the TTB box had a sample of this tea in it, I decided to give it another try since so many people seemed to love it. So I tried it today, and this time around, I found it to be one of the best Dayi ripes I have tasted. It is sweet and deeply fruity. I really loved the first few steeps. I got quite hopped up, so this is a good one if you are looking for caffeine. Later steeps were not quite as smooth, more bitterness came through. Then, it turned into that yeasty bread dough flavor. This is a great tea, and at around $40, it is one of the few semi-aged Dayi teas that are reasonably priced. I guess this particular tea does not have a hype factor built in. Both Berryleb and Dragon Tea House sell it.

So I gave this try due to Allan’s very positive review. I found that it was not for me. It is kind of mushroomy, which I personally don’t care for. Otherwise it was earthy and deep. Very strong caffeine and cha qi, probably the highest kick factor I’ve ever experienced from a ripe pu erh.

This tea made me so so so so so so so so so SO happy. Of happiness.

Only one rinse was needed and the color is deeper than ruby, like a garnet. And AllanK was right – zero fermentation flavor, no dirty flavors. This tastes like chocolate mushrooms. That may not sound appetizing, but I assure you, it’s the fucking BOMB, yo.

This is my new fave shou. Thanks for the sample, Allan!!!!

I did one session with three steeps, then another, then another. A total of 9 steeps, which got smoother as they went along.

From the start, I felt buzzy. At one point during the 2nd session, I realized that I dazed out. When I came to, I felt kind of dizzy and happy. Tea drunk, indeed!

I also kept staring into the cup, kind of mesmerized by the color.

To sum up: WOW. So yumz. Much happy. Wow. So garnet. Tea drunkies.

Little sarsy is now shouing!!! Weehee!!

And yo. Chocolate mushies!!

I am going to start calling you Shousique…

LOL. Y’all are so funny! :)

I told you it was good. I don’t get tea drunk from it though.

I had to buy some because the thought of life without it was sad. This is definitely a good one!

OOooooo this sounds magical! yay for getting tea drunk from shu!!

It’s hard to go wrong with the Menghai tea factory.

It sounds like an experience in a cup! :)

I’m so excited to be getting more of this. I think it can definitely turn a frown upside down! LOL

Did you get it from Berylleb? If so message me and I can tell you a bit on how to save some $ from them.

Thanks, mrmo! I did!

Thanks ZTJASFB! LOL Maybe I will call you Zen. I love the whole name, but its not easy to type on an iphone :)

This tea has cleared. It has virtually no fermentation flavor left. It is among the very best of Puerhs. There is a slight, very slight bitterness in the early infusions. This soon goes away and you are left with a smooth ripe puerh with a little bit of natural sweetness. There are a plethora of flavor notes to this tea. I detected chocolate, and I am not sure if it was because I added a small amount of sugar, but I also detected caramel.

I steeped this 10 times in a 130ml Yixing teapot. I used 4.5g leaf and boiling water. I steeped it for 15 sec, 15 sec, 15 sec, 15 sec, 15 sec, 30 sec, 30 sec, 1 min, 1 min, 2 min. Berylleb King Tea has done an excellent job with the storage of this puerh. I am considering buying a second so I have one for future years.

Flavors: Chocolate

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 4 g 4 OZ / 130 ML

I have a sample of this on the way. I look forward to trying it, especially as it is reasonably priced!

10 steeps is decent! I’m excited to try a shou that doesn’t have that fermentation flavor!

Your pallet might be sensitive enough to detect a little, but not very much because it just isn’t there. I would say it is 98% gone in this tea and 75 % gone in the 2010 Golden Needle White Lotus. It is also gone in the 2006 Lucky Dragon.