Organic Houjicha

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by mpierce87

From Mighty Leaf Tea

Hojicha is made of Japanese bancha tea, a mixture of pan-fired and slow roasted green tea leaves that yield a rich, nutty brew. Escape and find your retreat overlooking a glistening Lake Motosuko in the Japanese Alps with this organic green tea. Within the green tea category, Hojicha contains lower levels of caffeine.

About Mighty Leaf Tea View company

Mighty Leaf Tea was born for the sole purpose of infusing life into an ancient indulgence by creating tea products that reach new heights of quality and innovation. Our passion is creating the most incredible handcrafted tea blends found anywhere, globally sourcing the finest ingredients available. Paralleling the highest standards of quality at Mighty Leaf Tea is ongoing creative innovation.

Many thanks to the quiet life for sharing this tea with me. This tea smells very toasty and nutty, similar to a genmaicha but without the buttery aspect of the sencha. The taste is much the same, very nutty and slightly toasted. I think I may like this as much or better than genmaicha because with genmaicha I’m always wanting more of a buttery quality…but with this, it is perfect – I’m not expecting butter and I’m not getting it, just toasty and nutty tea that is extremely smooth.

Cofftea

Sadly one of only 2 Japanese greens I don’t like. :(

mpierce87

I wasn’t sure of it based on reviews, but I really like it.

This is much better than the Tropical Green I had yesterday. This tea is rich and nutty tasting. I am trying to like green teas but its really not easy, I’m working on it. I just need to order some quality green teas. This one is not bad.

Shinobi_cha

I scrolled through some of your recent notes, and it looks like you are using pretty hot water and long steeping times for the green tea. Have you tried using water that’s 170 – 180 and short times, 1-2 minutes? For houjicha, how you steep doesn’t matter as much, but for the Bancha and Tamayokucha you’ve had, try using a much lower temp. and a shorter time and see what you get!

This tea is my introduction to Houjicha, and I’m ready for more.

This tea is toasty and nutty and smooth, both in the full leaf and in the foil packs. It inspired me to try the Hojicha at a local tea shop (the Path of Tea) and that was very good as well. Thanks to the Mighty Leaf for introducing me to Hojicha. I have since learned that since the leaves are roasted they have less caffeine, so that’s a bonus as well. This is a great tea to wake up to or as a pick me up in the afternoon. Its hard to drink other green teas after you have had a nice smooth Hojicha