Winter Solstice

Edit tea info Last updated by katmiller73

From Peet's Coffee & Tea

“Winter Solstice, a blend of premium quality black teas, spices and citrus, is ideally suited for enjoying during the coldest months of the year. Warm cinnamon, clove, and allspice combined with sweet vanilla bean and citrus create the heady, inviting aroma. The full, rich taste comes from select whole leaf teas from Sri Lanka, India, and China. This complex and proprietary blend is a Peet’s original.”

About Peet's Coffee & Tea View company

Its gonna be a long, but hopefully very fun day.
Today my brother, my significant other, and myself are going to the Dickens Fair. For those not familar, the Dickens fair is essentially a ren faire, but in Dickensian London. Its a lot of fun, and a wonderful excuse to wear a bonnet. And I grab at any chance I have to wear a bonnet!
Its gonna be fun. So to start it off as properly as I can, I am having this cup of wintery goodness. Now, on to don my hoop skirt.

Terri HarpLady

My ex & I played at the Kansas City & at Louis renn fairie for several years, & even played at the Houston show for 2 weekends. I still haven’t dress ups!!!

JacquelineM

I agree – any chance to wear a bonnet must be taken advantage of ;)

Terri HarpLady

Oops, that last bit was suppose to say, I still have my dress ups!" :)

gmathis

Sounds like a lovely day! (Suddenly feeling the need to go find my Scrooge musical DVD with Albert Finney…) God bless you, everyone!

TeaBrat

I’ve never been to the Dickens Fair, I should really go some day…

End of the can. I need to find some of this and stock up…

I’ve never had this tea so I thought I would give it a try this morning after passing Peet’s. I am finally getting my sense of smell back, which is nice. This blend is really festive, I’m getting a lot of clove and citrus but the vanilla is good here too and makes it nice and creamy, especially with the addition of soymilk. Not sure that I need to buy any of this for home but certainly would not turn down a cup if it was offered to me. I’ve never been incredibly keen on orange spice teas but this is better than most I’ve tried.

Brewed as per directions on container.

This is a very flavorful and interesting tea; “holiday spices meet black tea blend” would be a good description, and I find the “cheering-effect” very pleasing when served hot. I find it is also somewhat helpful in relieving minor headaches, perhaps because of the relaxing aromatic nature of the brew combined with the caffeine content in the black tea.

The leaves are mostly whole, in long, twisted strands, and in my sample there were not many stems, except for an occasional small piece. The leaf color ranges from deep, ebony brown to an much-less-represented mix of dusty yellow or faded spring green with deep brown stripes of color. The average color is between ebony and mahogany, when the spice-pieces are considered. As for the spices, most are chopped, except for the cloves which are left whole. There are also pieces of dehydrated orange-rind that range in size, but are on average the largest pieces in the tea (besides the cloves) and generously scattered throughout. Leaf feel is firm and silky, and is matte in terms of gloss or shine.

The blend is very aromatic; the dry leaves smell sweet and fruity, with strong citrus and cinnamon, clove, and vanilla—like holiday or Easter baking. Very nostalgic. The brew has a stronger smell of black tea, and the aroma of the orange and clove mellow—but are still present—as cinnamon, vanilla and nutmeg-like aromas begin to present more strongly than in the dried leaves.

My palette is nowhere near trained enough yet to discern all the components of the tea blend, or to make guesses as to which teas from which regions were included, but I can say that the black tea blend shares a basic flavor profile common to other back tea blends from Peet’s—so far as I can tell. (Strong & clean, a hint of vegetal, and floral at the end.) As for the spices, they are listed in the product description, and are in balance with the tea. I think Orange, clove and cinnamon stand out to me the most, although the aftertaste is floral, vegetal and complex—there are a lot of things going on in this cup. In my opinion, the spices are most present in the aftertaste, and the tea and orange and clove tend to dominate the beginning. The middle flavors to me are the vegetal flavors of the tea blend and the cinnamon. I have to comment though, except for the aftertaste, the black tea blend is the chief flavor throughout, which is as I feel it should be.

I feel this is a great afternoon (or even dessert) tea. I think this tea is well suited to sweets, but would caution against pairing it with heavily spiced foods that might compete, contradict, or upstage the tea. (Although I could see following a lamb curry dish with this tea perhaps, and a palette cleanser.) For my taste and stomach, I think it would be a little much first thing in the morning, although I suppose that also depends on the breakfast served and the occasion. All in all, I think of this blend as being in the soothing, relaxing, reassuring category, and would pair it accordingly. (Although not with heavily savory or rich comfort-foods. Barbecue might be okay though, depending on the seasonings used.) Those are my thoughts on pairing.

I tried this tea on a whim. I liked it a lot. it’s nice to find a black tea with spice that isn’t overwhelming like a lot of chais are.

I like it! It is very nice and a real tea! It goes down smooth and has good ammounts of caffeine in it.

The citrus was a little overpowering for my tastes. Not a terrible tea, but certainly not worth the price.

This is probably one of the best smelling teas I have owned, aside from my Shinchas/Gyokuro (because nothing beats a fresh green). Cinnamon and spices in cider by the fireplace come to mind.

The base is black tea, but it’s absolutely packed with spices, cloves, large bits of citrus peel etc. and it shows through in the end result. It still tastes like tea, but both the taste and the smell strongly reflect that warm cinnamon spiciness. The smooth tea flavor is good, but stays in the background as a base. One could probably write pages dissecting all the flavor notes and the order in which they manifest… but that would miss the point. This blend isn’t about the parts, but about the picture they paint. I’d have liked to see more Lapsang smokiness to go with the feel, but that would be too polarizing for most customers. I will have to blend this with some actual Lapsang and report back.

Be it on a cold winter’s night, or upon getting into the office after standing on a freezing BART station platform at an ungodly early hour, this is the tea equivalent of “Winter Warmer” type beers. Highly recommended if you can find it, at any time it’s cold out, or you just need some comfort tea.

For coastal California, it is cold. The streets and the cars are iced. The Christmas tree lingers for a last couple of days. Peet’s Winter Solstice with a touch of mesquite honey… Throwing sparks of light that are nearly orange in a double walled glass. Fiery. Some lingering flavor notes of citrus and spice. Perfect for a night like this.

I got this tea in a tea swap recently, and I love it – it’s now one of my winter “go to” teas. It’s a very smooth black tea with hints of almond and spice in it, but it’s not overpowering at all. It’s hard to explain, but with a little sugar and cream, it’s like a spa moment in a cup. I ordered more since it is only offered around the holidays…