Golden Monkey

Chocolate, Malt, Smooth, Sweet Potatoes, Yeasty, Sweet, Honey, Yams
Edit tea info Last updated by Geoffrey Norman

From Tao Tea Leaf

This is our most popular black tea, is one of Fu Jian province’s famous black teas. This is also one of the oldest black teas in the world and one of the earliest teas to be exported to foreign countries. Only tea leaves picked from early spring season.

About Tao Tea Leaf View company

Waaaooow. So so tasty!! I’ve been craving a Chinese black tea for awhile and I guess this hit the mark.
Cocoa was really at the forefront here. It wasn’t grating at all, the way I found it last time.
I have maybe two more steeps of this left. Looks like I have a sipdown on the way!!
If only I hadn’t been given a few tea samples for my cupboard today to replace it ;P

This is the second Golden Monkey I’ve ever tried. I think – as a result – I might be going through a Chinese “red tea” phase. Or rather, gold tea. Golden Yunnans and Golden Monkey have overtaken all other black teas in my mind; save for Darjeelings. This Golden Monkey is no exception – sweet, nectary, mildly muscatel, light, yet revitalizing. And the best part? REALLY quick to brew. This could almost give Yunnan Golden Needles a run for their money. Almost.

Full Review:

Delicious tea, particularly if you’re fond of naturally chocolatey blacks. Smooth, full-flavored, good body.

I drank this over the past week along with Golden Monkeys by Teavivre and Harney. This is the one I enjoyed most. The other two have a perfumery note that reminds me of bergamot, though different. That note distracts from their otherwise very nice flavor. While that note is apparently a feature of Golden Monkey, in the Tao rendition it is very much in the background so that it does not stand out, but blends in nicely.

Flavors: Chocolate

Another one from my Tao Tea Leaf order!!
Was kinda expecting this one to be chocolate-y because the last Golden Monkey tea I tried was really chocolate-y. While I like chocolate notes in black teas, it’s really not my favorite. So I am really glad that this one surprised me!!
The main flavor was sweet potatoes which is one of my FAVORITE flavors in black teas! Wasn’t super sweet, but still was pretty spot on. There was some notes of malt here and there to make it taste more bold.
Ahh! I am going to really enjoy this one! :D It’s a great tea that everyone that orders from Tao Tea Leaf should try! :D

Flavors: Malt, Smooth, Sweet Potatoes

I’ve had a few Golden Monkey teas and they’ve all been pretty different. I’m not really sure what makes a tea “golden monkey” besides being Chinese and kinda tippy? Anybody know?

This is definitely tasty. Sweet, moderate to strong malt, smooth even after a looooong steep time. No mineral notes showing up at the longer times. I am glad to have gotten in on Marzipan’s group order with Tao. Also glad to find that while I like this one, I don’t have to replace it as I have other GMs I like that don’t involve Canadian shipping. :)

Boiling 4 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 6 OZ / 177 ML

Second infusion report: The sweetness is definitely more muted, but still no denying that intense maltiness in the flavour. Astringency is more pronounced this round, thats the downside of it. I couldn’t stop smelling the tea and the leaves though…reminds me of malt chocolate drinks like Horlicks.

Flavors: Chocolate, Malt, Sweet

Leaf- Whole, and a very pretty gold hue
Aroma- Cocoa, Honey Scent (brewed)- Sweet Potatoes
Liquor- Dark amber
Taste- Smooth, Sweet, Honey and Yam flavours

Flavors: Honey, Yams