Miyazaki Takachiho Japanese Oolong

From Tealux

RARE, RARENEVER BEFORE ON CANADIAN TEA MARKET

Exclusively from Tealux

JAPANESE OOLONG TEA

Enjoy an extraordinary unique tea that is available in very limited quantities to our customers. Organically grown on Kyushu Island in Miyazaki, this kamairi-style Japanese oolong tea was the first harvest of the spring and produced with the utmost attention to its quality, allowing us to preserve it’s special appearance and unique flavor. The blend of the Takachiho and Minami Sayaka tea bushes produce a remarkable tea that is alive with flavor!

With a gardenia-like fragrance, your senses are awakened in anticipation of that very first sip. That fragrance is then transferred to your taste buds, awakening them to the sweet undertones of fragrant traditional Japanese pan-fired tea. Rich in color and rich in flavor; the Miyazaki Takachiho Japanese Oolong tea is a taste to be treasured. Order while supplies last, this tea has a very limited supply!!

It’s a lightly oxidized oolong that has also been pan-fired lightly. The curly leaf therefore maintains much of its green appearance, the liquor is a strong yellow, and the taste retains much of it’s fresh lively appeal without any roasted notes.

The most notable and amazing aspect of this oolong is its extraordinary floral fragrance which is incredibly gardenia-like (Kuchinashi in Japanese), hence the name of this Japanese oolong tea is Kuchinashi! If you are familiar with fragrances of flowers such as gardenia you’ll not fail to notice the resemblance. The fragrance is accompanied by a wonderful fragrant taste that spreads gently throughout the mouth!

Origin: Gokase Town, Miyazaki, Kyushu, Japan

Harvest: Late May

Organic Certification: JAS

About Tealux View company

Another new tea! One I’ve been wanting to try for a while. A Japanese oolong… intriguing!

So I really had no idea what to expect with this tea. Some sort of oolongy flavour, obviously, but that’s about it. However, this tea is absolutely delicious. The aroma is light and sweet, and so is the flavour. Lightly caramelly, a bit oolongy… enough that I would probably describe it as an oolong in a blind taste test, anyway. No astringency whatsoever, just very smooth. It’s also not particularly floral.

What’s bugging me the most about this tea is that it seems quite familiar, but I have no idea what it’s reminding me of. My best guess, based honestly entirely on memory, is that it’s like Butiki’s Sparrow Tongue Oolong. I suppose the best way to test out that theory would be to make Sil try a cup of it :D Anyways, this is pretty freaking tasty, and I’m very happy to have at least a few more cups left in this sample packet. Indigobloom – I think you picked some of this up too, and I’m kind of glad we didn’t split a packet! More for me!

Additional infusions to come :)

ETA: Second infusion, with the same parameters, is pretty good, but doesn’t beat the first. A bit more tea flavour, perhaps, but some of the delicious sweetness is gone.

Stephanie

OoooOooo!

My Friend Rashad

Tealux is quickly becoming one of my favorite companies.

TheTeaFairy

Kittenna, I’m not even half through my last order with them but I’m still contemplating the idea of taking advantage of their 25% off sale this week end. Please, can someone stop me?? In desperate needs of arguments to help resist…

My Friend Rashad

@TheTeaFairy Chill! It’s not like they can’t grow more of it. The tea isn’t going anywhere. There will be other sales. There will always be tea.

Kittenna

Best argument? Their teas are not really limited edition, and they seem to have sales quite frequently. Wait until your stash is smaller, and then keep your eye out for a sale. I’ve seen 20-25% off sales with enough frequency that I wouldn’t be too worried about missing this one!

TheTeaFairy

Haha! Thank you guys, great arguments, I really feel the urge dissipating now, I’m chillin… (NOT!)

Cavocorax

I just bought 12 samples. So excited to try them out. :)

Nitoo6of6

Have to ask before I jump on the bandwagon (in June)….how is their shipping costs for a bunch of samples. I know they advertise free shipping over 60 dollars (I think)

Indigobloom

Mmmm I’m drinking this now. Though my packet doesn’t say takachiho,so I wonder if its the exact same? Hmmmm.

Kittenna

It is. The packets just aren’t well-labeled.

Floral alert!! yikes.
Not in a bad way. I kinda like it. But I need to be in the mood, methinks.
This is definitely an oolong in that specifically oolong way with that puckery dry sensation after taking a sip. It’s almost like eating a gourmet flower. Or how you would think perfume would taste, if you didn’t already know that perfume is really nasty tasting. Sighs. Only I could think that description makes sense.
Anyhow. I’m at the bottom of my cuppa now and its getting a touch salty in the aftertaste. and refreshing.
Overall? A highly enjoyable cup but not one I’d go out of my way to order a pound of. If I could, I’d keep a small sample size on hand

Calochortus

I understand the perfume-tasting description… That’s probably because I’ve tried quite a few perfumes in my life because of how tasty they smell (scientists do weird things)…

Indigobloom

LOL phew, I am not alone! I guess I have a scientist’s palate :P

A light a fresh tasting green oolong. Mildly vegetal and floral in flavour.

Vegetal tone. Medium-thick mouthfeel. Oceanic note. Sweetness in aftertaste. The aftertaste has a not reminding me of a milk oolong.

Thanks to Kittenna for sharing!