Premium Tai Ping Hou Kui Green Tea

Green Tea
Green Tea
Grass, Green Beans, Nutty, Sweet, Vegetal, Honey, Peas, Mineral, Potato
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

• “Water: 8oz at 180 degrees Leaves: very large flat leaves Steep: 1m,2m Aroma: light Color: Light Green Taste: I was interested in trying this tea because I haven't seen anything like it...” Read full tasting note
    Alreot 50 tasting notes
  • “Backlog: LOVE! I love a good Tai Ping Hou Kui and this is an excellent one. As it had been a while since my last cup of Tai Ping, I had to think a bit on how I was going to steep the tea. I...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4624 tasting notes
  • “When I opened the package I was greeted with amazing bright long tea leaves. I did a 5 seconds rinse and first steep was 30 seconds. It has a green color and a grassy taste, which I like a lot....” Read full tasting note
    LaCuisineHelene 8 tasting notes
  • “Tai Ping Hou Kui teas are so much fun!! Seriously, it's just a whimsical experience. The dry leaf aroma is so hearty and green. The leaves are just so cool to look at and hold. It's such a silly...” Read full tasting note
    TeaPet 609 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: TaiPing HouKeng(太平猴坑) in Anhui province, China

Ingredients: Long, flat leaves of one bud and two leaves

Harvest time: April 25, 2014

Taste: sweet and smooth with strong aroma, has long-lasting sweet aftertaste

Health Benefits: Just like all green teas, our TaiPing HouKui has high levels of antioxidants that reputedly help reduce the incidence of cancer, promote good skin tone and help reduce the affects of aging. Also containing vitamin C, fluoride and calcium, TeaVivre’s TaiPing HouKui also promotes healthy teeth and bones.

About Teavivre View company

Water: 8oz at 180 degrees

Leaves: very large flat leaves

Steep: 1m,2m

Aroma: light

Color: Light Green

Taste: I was interested in trying this tea because I haven’t seen anything like it before. First steep was for 1 minute, the first sip was bitter then it mellowed out to a lighter non bitter note. On the other hand the second steep was the complete opposite 2m I didn’t like it at all. This time around it was very bitter, I couldn’t finish my cup. I’m not sure if I used too many leaves or if my water was a bit hotter than expected but overall I didn’t enjoy this tea.

*Update!
I recently brewed this tea again this time following a different technique, it came out much better than the first time. Light smooth with no bitterness.

TeaVivre

I’m sorry this tea you brewed taste was bitter. How many leaves you have used? I think it might be associated with the tea leaves and temperature.

Backlog:

LOVE! I love a good Tai Ping Hou Kui and this is an excellent one. As it had been a while since my last cup of Tai Ping, I had to think a bit on how I was going to steep the tea. I would normally steep a green tea in my Breville One-Touch but I do like to watch the dance of the Tai Ping leaves so I instead decided to brew this in my glass teacup.

A sweet and gentle aroma accompanies a flavor that is sublime. Sweet, hints of orchid, light grassy tones and a touch of butter. Creamy and sweet and delightful.

Here’s my full-length review: http://sororiteasisters.com/2014/06/28/premium-tai-ping-hou-kui-green-tea-from-teavivre/

When I opened the package I was greeted with amazing bright long tea leaves. I did a 5 seconds rinse and first steep was 30 seconds. It has a green color and a grassy taste, which I like a lot. This is an afternoon tea that complimented really well my home baked dates squares. 2nd brew time was 1 minute and still a nice color and grassy taste. I love the huge tea leaves.

Flavors: Grass

175 °F / 79 °C 0 min, 30 sec 4 g 4 OZ / 118 ML

Tai Ping Hou Kui teas are so much fun!! Seriously, it’s just a whimsical experience. The dry leaf aroma is so hearty and green. The leaves are just so cool to look at and hold. It’s such a silly tea! I’m a bit sad that the summer is at an end.. because it’s just not very fun to drink green teas in the colder months… and I guess I have to race to finish this tea before it goes bad. (If anyone wants some green teas/mid-quality FF darjeelings please let me know… I’m totally willing to sell my extra for a super low price)

I’m not sure the taste of this tea is too different for me than most other Chinese greens I’ve had. It is vegetal, nutty, and mildly sweet with a bit of green bean flavor.

What does stand out to me immensely is how thick the mouthfeel is. It is very heavy and very syrupy. I wasn’t expecting that at all. I really like that. As for the flavor, however, I feel a bit non-reactive. It’s very Zen and all, but I prefer to be wowed by my teas.

Flavors: Green Beans, Nutty, Sweet, Vegetal

175 °F / 79 °C 1 min, 0 sec 2 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

After a short visit at Amariel’s yesterday, my tea count jumped by 20 to a big 70- and here I was doing so well. I didn’t know where to start so I let my roommate randomly select one of the dozen green tea samples from the bag for the evening’s pot. This one was the winner.

The vibrant green leaves look and smell like seaweed, but once steeped the brew is more akin to beans, with a drop or two of honey. There’s a lot more going on in this tea, especially in the second steep, but I can’t pin most of the flavours. It’s a beautiful and gentle tea to wind down to for the evening. This cup has peace and tranquility written all over it (sappy but true).

Thank you, Amariel, for sharing this lovely sample with me!

Flavors: Green Beans, Honey, Peas

TeaBrat

this one IS yummy :)

CrowKettle

I wish I could stay up all night, drinking this tea in pots. It’s so good!

SFTGFOP

I’ve just ordered some of this tea from Camellia Sinensis. I love how it smells, and how pretty the leaves look!

Stephanie

lovely pretty tea

Thank you Stephanie for generously sending me this sample!

It’s a little late for me to be drinking caffeine, but I just woke up from a nap. I was kept awake last night by a snoring boyfriend and a mosquito bite that had me itching. Hopefully the caffeine in this won’t keep me awake later…

This tea is so interesting looking. I love the long slender leaves that are bright green and look pressed flat, almost as though someone had ironed them. I decided to steep this at 170 F for around 3 minutes.

The tea liquor is a light yellowish-green. I definitely get the green bean flavor here but what’s amazing about this green is how sweet it is. The sweetness lingers in your mouth long after you’re done sipping it. It seems really fresh and light which is also good. Teavivre has so many good green teas and I was really glad I got to try this one. I wonder if anyone’s tried cold brewing it? It’s tasty.

Stephanie

I’m glad you liked it! I’ve not tried cold brewing it myself.

This tea is amazing.

First of all, the leaves are perfectly whole, just dried and flattened out. They are so HUGE. It almost felt sacrilegious to put them into a cup and pour boiling water over them.

The dry tea smells slightly vegetal, similar to cabbage or spinach but not quite. The smell is familiar to a vegetable soup base.

The brewed tea brews up fairly strong. There is definitely a vegetal flavour but it is very light and mild. It is not floral, but it is not strong cabbage, it is just somewhere in between. It is smooth and creamy. Just slight butter notes.

This tea is delicious. Thank you Angel from Teavivre for this free sample. I appreciate being able to try such awesome and high grade green teas.

Had this twice now, thought I reviewed it already but maybe I reviewed the wrong tea or something, hah. Oh well.

What a unique looking tea! Flat, crisp green leaves. Huge! Like nothing I’d ever seen before.

Vegetal for sure, but it wasn’t off putting, even though I don’t necessarily love drinking spinachy green teas. It is very fresh tasting, nice and light for this time of year.

I enjoyed both cups I drank from this packet!

Thank you to Angel at Teavivre for the sample of this tea! It was a different green tea experience.

I’ve got a major wishlist started for a teavivre, though I don’t think it will include any green teas.

TheTeaFairy

I love the look of this one!

Terri HarpLady

Me too! It’s so beautiful :)

Angel was incredible enough to send me a sample of this for me to try. This might be one of the most unique teas that i’ve had recently. I love the way these leaves look. They’re like flat pressed seaweed or something. You can even see the lines of the leaves. it’s just really neat to look at. drinking this, it’s also a unique taste. I don’t get the same vegetal taste from a lot of greens. Instead this has a sweetness to it. It’s fresh and really nice, but i can’t place my finger on the taste. i still prefer the dragonwell from teavivre, but this is a really neat tea to have tried. I feel like this would be a good tea for anyone who really like greens.

TheTeaFairy

Neat! (And no, I won’t say what you think I will…very tempting though, cause ya know…you do keep raving about green tea lately, and well for someone who says they don’t want to come and play to the G….. S…)

no no no no no!