Premium Tai Ping Hou Kui Green Tea

Green Tea
Green Tea
Black Pepper, Peas, Vegetal, Almond, Green Beans, Mineral, Salt, Vegetables, Bok Choy, Green Bell Peppers, Grass, Nutty, Sweet, Honey, Potato
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “Water: 8oz at 180 degrees Leaves: very large flat leaves Steep: 1m,2m Aroma: light Color: Light Green Taste: I was interested in trying this tea because I haven’t seen anything like it...” Read full tasting note
    Alreot 113 tasting notes
  • “Free sample from Teavivre I’ve not had this before so when I opened the packet I was amazed and delighted by the size of the leaves. They’re huge and flat and green;...” Read full tasting note
    Roughage 289 tasting notes
  • “This is one of the samples of the new harvest that Teavivre sent me this week. I have had a Tai Ping before but I can’t find my review of it. I have had a lot of tea lately, but it has been...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 2193 tasting notes
  • “From a Teavivre order a while ago! Probably one of the more interesting looking leaf shapes I’ve ever seen… inches long green leaves that look attached and pancaked together. Leaves so...” Read full tasting note
    tea-sipper 2089 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: TaiPing HouKeng(太平猴坑) in Anhui province, China

Ingredients: Long, flat leaves of one bud and two leaves

Harvest time: April 16, 2015

Taste: sweet and smooth with strong aroma, has long-lasting sweet aftertaste

Health Benefits: Just like all green teas, our TaiPing HouKui has high levels of antioxidants that reputedly help reduce the incidence of cancer, promote good skin tone and help reduce the affects of aging. Also containing vitamin C, fluoride and calcium, TeaVivre’s TaiPing HouKui also promotes healthy teeth and bones.

About Teavivre View company

Water: 8oz at 180 degrees

Leaves: very large flat leaves

Steep: 1m,2m

Aroma: light

Color: Light Green

Taste: I was interested in trying this tea because I haven’t seen anything like it before. First steep was for 1 minute, the first sip was bitter then it mellowed out to a lighter non bitter note. On the other hand the second steep was the complete opposite 2m I didn’t like it at all. This time around it was very bitter, I couldn’t finish my cup. I’m not sure if I used too many leaves or if my water was a bit hotter than expected but overall I didn’t enjoy this tea.

*Update!
I recently brewed this tea again this time following a different technique, it came out much better than the first time. Light smooth with no bitterness.

TeaVivre

I’m sorry this tea you brewed taste was bitter. How many leaves you have used? I think it might be associated with the tea leaves and temperature.

Free sample from Teavivre

I’ve not had this before so when I opened the packet I was amazed and delighted by the size of the leaves. They’re huge and flat and green; actually longer than the infuser basket I’m using which is as deep as my mug. Crikey! They smell grassy with a hint of peas.

The liquor is pale green and has a soft mouthfeel. The taste is light and vegetal with a hint of pepper. It’s a savoury tea and quite refreshing with a pleasant, slightly peppery aftertaste.

Flavors: Black Pepper, Peas, Vegetal

3 g 7 OZ / 200 ML

I have had a lot of tea lately, but it has been at breakfast or iced at a meal or with lots of company. I looked forward to having a quiet tea time with my best friend, steeping and resteeping and really having a chance to experience our tea.

I love the unique shape of these leaves and the pleasure of steeping them in a glass so you can see them dance and then soften and bend. The long, flat leaves stand straight up at first, and then begin to sag as the leaves saturate. It is really nice to watch in a tall, thin glass. Let yourself go and really lift and turn the glass and enjoy the movement, letting your hands join in the dance of the leaves.

The liquor is pale yellow to medium yellow (second steep). The overall taste is smooth and sweet. The second steep was stronger but never astringent. We kept all steeps at three minutes or less. You can go to five if you like it stronger. I think it would be a great introduction to green tea for people who have been turned off but bitter or sour grocery store, and the beauty of steeping it adds so much.

Then hubby and I had it again for supper tonight, made differently. Instead of drinking three individual steeps I placed the leaves in my large Kamjove that I bought from Teavivre. I made three consecutive steeps and let them combine in the pitcher before pouring any. It made a lovely, smooth green tea with buttery notes to drink along with our Asian takeout.

If I were introducing a tea “scaredy-cat” to green tea, I think this would be a great choice, even over Dragonwell. For those who love the bite of astringency with or after a meal, I am not sure if this would be your best choice unless you give it a full five minutes, which the label says can be done, by the way.

Thank you, Teavivre, for the samples. This is a really good one!

2089 tasting notes

From a Teavivre order a while ago! Probably one of the more interesting looking leaf shapes I’ve ever seen… inches long green leaves that look attached and pancaked together. Leaves so long they hardly fit vertically in the tea basket infuser. I’m not really sure how or why they look like this! Though Teavivre does have some info about this mysterious tea: http://www.teavivre.com/info/manual-made-tai-ping-hou-kui/ I used most of a sample pouch for a mug. The flavor is surprisingly mild for such leaves. Sweet and light flavor! Really no flavor notes to distinguish it from more complex green teas, and I really like my complex green teas, so this one might not be my favorite. If I’m really searching for flavors, I might say it has hints of seaweed, butter and vegetables. I think this tea is more of an experience than flavor, so I wish I had brewed it in a clear glass! I think this tea is mild enough that being left in the cup wouldn’t make the flavor too strong.
Steep #1 // 32 minutes after boiling // 1 minute steep
Steep #2 // 25 minutes after boiling // 2 minute steep

Teavivres description. “A fabulous tasting green tea from Anhui. With uniquely shaped large flat leaves, TaiPing HouKui is quite different from other green teas and is thought of as one of China’s top ten teas. Our tea comes from the village of HouKeng, where the tea was first developed.”

Expectations. I’ve heard so many great reviews, so I’m expecting this to be a great experience.

Steeping. First, I didn’t have any clue how to brew this, since I don’t possess a tea pitcher and my gongfu glass teapot was accidentally dropped on the floor and shattered.
Eventually I ended up with my Ikea glass cup, it’s made in China at least! It was messy, but it worked. I used “Fire and Ice” -style (it sounded fun) pouring ice cold water onto the leaves first and after dumping the cold water I poured 85C water to steep the tea. First steep was 1min 30s and after that I just added +1min with 3g grams of tea.

Appearance. Really, really big, flat dark green leaves. They remind a bit of nori sheets. They have a nice fabric pattern from straightening. Spent leaves turn olive green. The brew is light, vibrant green colour.

Aroma. Really bold and savoury. It’s similar to sencha, a bit of marine like, vegetal green bean/pea aroma.

Tasting. My favourite part. Premium Tai Ping Hou Kui has bold vegetal flavour. Green beans, pea and a bit of nuts, not a sweet flavour. It has a bit astringency. Again, the first thing coming to my mind is sencha, which is not bad at all. I’m digging this.

Comments. This tea is great fun! I got a really weird kicks from those gigantic leaves. The reviews were right, this was a great tea experience. I give this a solid 90. 75-80 for flavour and 100 for looks.

Will I buy it again? Definitely, it’s a bit expensive but I just love those leaves, I want to see them again.

Flavors: Almond, Green Beans, Mineral, Peas, Salt, Vegetables, Vegetal

185 °F / 85 °C 3 g 5 OZ / 150 ML

This tea has a swampy, smokey aroma. It taste vegetal, but I do not get the usually veggie flavors of a green tea. I am having trouble with this one, maybe bok choy mixed with green bell pepper and a little bit of black pepper. It is definitely a unique tasting green tea.

Flavors: Black Pepper, Bok Choy, Green Bell Peppers

175 °F / 79 °C 5 g 5 OZ / 147 ML

Brewed in a glass, grandpa-style. I started drinking after a 1-minute steep.

This is probably one of those instances in which I taste a tea so differently from everyone else, or it’s probably this particular batch.

When I stuck my nose into the sample packet, I didn’t expect it smell like certain shengs I dislike: black pepper, beef stew, and a hint of apricot I was able to pull out from somewhere. As the leaves steeped in the glass, I smelled buttered popcorn.

The liquor is green-ish, full-bodied, cream-like, and savory. The flavor is very buttery (even near salty) with notes of Brussels sprouts, bok choy, and beans with a green pepper finish. I dislike green peppers, more so in my tea, if it’s not subtle. Not for me.

175 °F / 79 °C 5 g 11 OZ / 325 ML
Cwyn

I love Tai Ping, though of course the top grade isn’t sold outside China. Sounds like your brewing parameters were spot on. Sorry it disappointed in the end, this can be a really good tea. I don’t recall buttery notes in the ones I’ve had in the past.

KiwiDelight

I had another a while ago and it tasted nothing like this, more like a Dragonwell. I’m still puzzled.

Thank you Angel of Teavivire for sending me this sample.

I have never had Tai Ping Hou before. I found the long flat leaves pretty, and since they were too big to properly fit in my infuser I steeped them in my french press. The tea has a green bean flavor with a little sweetness. There was a hint of a grassy note, but the flavor was mostly bean. The liquid was thick. In fact, the consistency reminded me of a thin syrup. Overall I thought this was a nice tea. The flavor was clean and crisp, and there was no mineral note or lingering aftertaste.

Backlog:

LOVE! I love a good Tai Ping Hou Kui and this is an excellent one. As it had been a while since my last cup of Tai Ping, I had to think a bit on how I was going to steep the tea. I would normally steep a green tea in my Breville One-Touch but I do like to watch the dance of the Tai Ping leaves so I instead decided to brew this in my glass teacup.

A sweet and gentle aroma accompanies a flavor that is sublime. Sweet, hints of orchid, light grassy tones and a touch of butter. Creamy and sweet and delightful.

Here’s my full-length review: http://sororiteasisters.com/2014/06/28/premium-tai-ping-hou-kui-green-tea-from-teavivre/

When I opened the package I was greeted with amazing bright long tea leaves. I did a 5 seconds rinse and first steep was 30 seconds. It has a green color and a grassy taste, which I like a lot. This is an afternoon tea that complimented really well my home baked dates squares. 2nd brew time was 1 minute and still a nice color and grassy taste. I love the huge tea leaves.

Flavors: Grass