Premium Tai Ping Hou Kui Green Tea

Green Tea
Green Tea
Green Beans, Nutty, Sweet, Vegetal, Honey, Peas, Mineral, Potato
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

• “Water: 8oz at 180 degrees Leaves: very large flat leaves Steep: 1m,2m Aroma: light Color: Light Green Taste: I was interested in trying this tea because I haven't seen anything like it...” Read full tasting note
    Alreot 50 tasting notes
  • “I'm not sure the taste of this tea is too different for me than most other Chinese greens I've had. It is vegetal, nutty, and mildly sweet with a bit of green bean flavor. What does stand out to...” Read full tasting note
    ShiningLion 68 tasting notes
  • “After a short visit at Amariel's yesterday, my tea count jumped by 20 to a big 70- and here I was doing so well. I didn't know where to start so I let my roommate randomly select one of the dozen...” Read full tasting note
    CrowKettle 489 tasting notes
  • “Thank you *Stephanie* for generously sending me this sample! It's a little late for me to be drinking caffeine, but I just woke up from a nap. I was kept awake last night by a snoring boyfriend...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2309 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: TaiPing HouKeng(太平猴坑) in Anhui province, China

Ingredients: Long, flat leaves of one bud and two leaves

Harvest time: April 25, 2014

Taste: sweet and smooth with strong aroma, has long-lasting sweet aftertaste

Health Benefits: Just like all green teas, our TaiPing HouKui has high levels of antioxidants that reputedly help reduce the incidence of cancer, promote good skin tone and help reduce the affects of aging. Also containing vitamin C, fluoride and calcium, TeaVivre’s TaiPing HouKui also promotes healthy teeth and bones.

About Teavivre View company

Water: 8oz at 180 degrees

Leaves: very large flat leaves

Steep: 1m,2m

Aroma: light

Color: Light Green

Taste: I was interested in trying this tea because I haven’t seen anything like it before. First steep was for 1 minute, the first sip was bitter then it mellowed out to a lighter non bitter note. On the other hand the second steep was the complete opposite 2m I didn’t like it at all. This time around it was very bitter, I couldn’t finish my cup. I’m not sure if I used too many leaves or if my water was a bit hotter than expected but overall I didn’t enjoy this tea.

*Update!
I recently brewed this tea again this time following a different technique, it came out much better than the first time. Light smooth with no bitterness.

TeaVivre

I’m sorry this tea you brewed taste was bitter. How many leaves you have used? I think it might be associated with the tea leaves and temperature.

I’m not sure the taste of this tea is too different for me than most other Chinese greens I’ve had. It is vegetal, nutty, and mildly sweet with a bit of green bean flavor.

What does stand out to me immensely is how thick the mouthfeel is. It is very heavy and very syrupy. I wasn’t expecting that at all. I really like that. As for the flavor, however, I feel a bit non-reactive. It’s very Zen and all, but I prefer to be wowed by my teas.

Flavors: Green Beans, Nutty, Sweet, Vegetal

175 °F / 79 °C 1 min, 0 sec 2 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

After a short visit at Amariel’s yesterday, my tea count jumped by 20 to a big 70- and here I was doing so well. I didn’t know where to start so I let my roommate randomly select one of the dozen green tea samples from the bag for the evening’s pot. This one was the winner.

The vibrant green leaves look and smell like seaweed, but once steeped the brew is more akin to beans, with a drop or two of honey. There’s a lot more going on in this tea, especially in the second steep, but I can’t pin most of the flavours. It’s a beautiful and gentle tea to wind down to for the evening. This cup has peace and tranquility written all over it (sappy but true).

Thank you, Amariel, for sharing this lovely sample with me!

Flavors: Green Beans, Honey, Peas

TeaBrat

this one IS yummy :)

CrowKettle

I wish I could stay up all night, drinking this tea in pots. It’s so good!

SFTGFOP

I’ve just ordered some of this tea from Camellia Sinensis. I love how it smells, and how pretty the leaves look!

lovely pretty tea

Thank you Stephanie for generously sending me this sample!

It’s a little late for me to be drinking caffeine, but I just woke up from a nap. I was kept awake last night by a snoring boyfriend and a mosquito bite that had me itching. Hopefully the caffeine in this won’t keep me awake later…

This tea is so interesting looking. I love the long slender leaves that are bright green and look pressed flat, almost as though someone had ironed them. I decided to steep this at 170 F for around 3 minutes.

The tea liquor is a light yellowish-green. I definitely get the green bean flavor here but what’s amazing about this green is how sweet it is. The sweetness lingers in your mouth long after you’re done sipping it. It seems really fresh and light which is also good. Teavivre has so many good green teas and I was really glad I got to try this one. I wonder if anyone’s tried cold brewing it? It’s tasty.

Stephanie

I’m glad you liked it! I’ve not tried cold brewing it myself.

This tea is amazing.

First of all, the leaves are perfectly whole, just dried and flattened out. They are so HUGE. It almost felt sacrilegious to put them into a cup and pour boiling water over them.

The dry tea smells slightly vegetal, similar to cabbage or spinach but not quite. The smell is familiar to a vegetable soup base.

The brewed tea brews up fairly strong. There is definitely a vegetal flavour but it is very light and mild. It is not floral, but it is not strong cabbage, it is just somewhere in between. It is smooth and creamy. Just slight butter notes.

This tea is delicious. Thank you Angel from Teavivre for this free sample. I appreciate being able to try such awesome and high grade green teas.

Had this twice now, thought I reviewed it already but maybe I reviewed the wrong tea or something, hah. Oh well.

What a unique looking tea! Flat, crisp green leaves. Huge! Like nothing I’d ever seen before.

Vegetal for sure, but it wasn’t off putting, even though I don’t necessarily love drinking spinachy green teas. It is very fresh tasting, nice and light for this time of year.

I enjoyed both cups I drank from this packet!

Thank you to Angel at Teavivre for the sample of this tea! It was a different green tea experience.

I’ve got a major wishlist started for a teavivre, though I don’t think it will include any green teas.

TheTeaFairy

I love the look of this one!

Terri HarpLady

Me too! It’s so beautiful :)

Angel was incredible enough to send me a sample of this for me to try. This might be one of the most unique teas that i’ve had recently. I love the way these leaves look. They’re like flat pressed seaweed or something. You can even see the lines of the leaves. it’s just really neat to look at. drinking this, it’s also a unique taste. I don’t get the same vegetal taste from a lot of greens. Instead this has a sweetness to it. It’s fresh and really nice, but i can’t place my finger on the taste. i still prefer the dragonwell from teavivre, but this is a really neat tea to have tried. I feel like this would be a good tea for anyone who really like greens.

TheTeaFairy

Neat! (And no, I won’t say what you think I will…very tempting though, cause ya know…you do keep raving about green tea lately, and well for someone who says they don’t want to come and play to the G….. S…)

no no no no no!

I am not sure if I brewed this incorrectly, but I found it very vegetal and all I could think of was seaweed. I must have done something wrong, because some of the notes mention sweetness. I found no sweetness in this cup.
I will not rate this at present, because I will try it again later and determine a better opinion of this tea.
I probably oversteeped because these leaves are HUGE!

I am in love with this tea – the whole experience! First of all, be prepared to be blown away by the size of the leaf for they are huge — thin, whole, flat leaves with lovely shades of green coloring in each. They are very delicate and paper thin like tissue paper. The tea leaves are fully hand-crafted and truly a sensational work of art.

I like to brew tai ping hou kui teas in my clear 12oz Chinese tumbler with screw-on filter for drinking. 180 degree water with 12-15 long leaves. It is always a pleasure to watch these tall soldiers stand at full attention in the water (this is the fun factor for me). The tea aroma was vegetal and sweet and was a very pale yellowish-green color. The flavor is sweet with clear vegetal overtones and I was able to detect a little citrus. I drink it down to the point where the tumbler is only 1/3 full and then I top off with more water. I had fun sipping this one all afternoon.

Thanks to Angel and Teavivre for letting me enjoy their new harvest of green teas when they are at their peak of freshness!

180 °F / 82 °C
Stephanie

High fives! I just drank this one too!!

IntegriTEA

I’ve been thinking about this one. I think I’d like to try it.

What a unique green. I’ve never seen anything like it! The leaves are huge and very dark bright green and pressed flat. The scent is crisp fresh veggies.

The liquor is extremely vegetal, slight tart cherry notes, and very little sweetness. I actually rather like this. It is a welcome change from all the buttery super sweet green teas I’ve been drinking lately. This one is different and has a lot of character!

TheTeaFairy

spectacular, the leaves from the pic look like asparagus tips!

TeaBrat

Oh, I’d love to try this but I must NOT order more tea! Ack!