Nonpareil Taiwan Li Shan Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “This is another Teavivre sample from *Sil*. I love samples from Teavivre, they are always so generous, & the quality is excellent. This one is no exception. The tea is in nuggets, & once steeped it...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2478 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown, 115. Thanks to Teavivre for sending along this sample. This one totally surprised me. I think the only other Li Shan oolong I've had was a pretty typical super green, super fresh...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1848 tasting notes
  • “*Thank you Angel and Teavivre for this sample tea!* The Snow Queen has stretched her Wintry White Robe across most of North America. Most of us Steepsterites hunker down with copious amounts of...” Read full tasting note
    bonniejohnstone 672 tasting notes
  • “This is a very light and smooth oolong. It is very floral, but not too strong, its light. Mid and end sip there is an almost woody taste. It is slightly sweet. Just a tad astringent after the...” Read full tasting note
    Lala1 709 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Fushoushan (福寿山) Farm at an altitude of 2000 meters on Lishan (梨山) Mountain in Taichung, Taiwan.

Ingredients: one bud with two or three leaves

Harvest time: May, 2013

Taste: obvious floral fragrance, strong sweetness in the throat; brisk and smooth aftertaste with long-lasting sweet scent in the mouth

Speaking on Taiwan tea, Li Shan Oolong Tea is the top level Taiwan Gao Leng oolong tea. The special phrase Gao Leng, 高冷(gāo lěng) in Chinese, means high and cold, refers to the environment at high altitudes and in low temperature. Li Shan tea trees are grown in this high and cold environment, making the tea leaf soft, thick with high content of pectin substances. This unique feature cannot be found on the teas grown in low altitude areas.

About Teavivre View company

This is another Teavivre sample from Sil. I love samples from Teavivre, they are always so generous, & the quality is excellent. This one is no exception. The tea is in nuggets, & once steeped it is an iridescent green. Although I don’t love ‘green’ oolongs as much as I love the more roasty ones, I do enjoy them from time to time. This one has a buttery floral aroma, with a light floral taste. The flavor is also both sweet & savory, with a thick sensation. A pleasant afternoon cup.

Sipdown, 115. Thanks to Teavivre for sending along this sample.

This one totally surprised me. I think the only other Li Shan oolong I’ve had was a pretty typical super green, super fresh variety without any roasting. This one wasn’t quite roasty, but it did have a bakey, nutty flavor that was unexpected. Floral and buttery as well, this was a very tasty oolong. I didn’t fall in love with it but I would happily drink this one again.

Thank you Angel and Teavivre for this sample tea!

Most of us Steepsterites hunker down with copious amounts of tea, hoping to melt the chill from her icy fingers. Burr!

I’ve been drinking Chai, Black Tea and Puerh by the buckets-full! My own additions of cinnamon or ginger to the Puerh warm me head to toe in no time.

Now and then, a reminder of Spring gladdens my heart, and it’s tea that’s able to take me to that golden, glowing place in no time.

While I prefer dark, roasty Oolongs that are cinder-fired and tightly rolled…I love those rare, buttery, floral/savory Oolongs that remind me of the awakening Earth in Spring.

Li Shan is such an Oolong.

Buttery and thickening as it cools, sweet, slightly floral and savory.

I’m not very fond of light Oolongs, but this is perfectly delicious. Not too light and or strong but just right with an aroma sweet enough to make you hunger for vanilla cake.

Winter may be upon us now, but we can remember warm, golden-hued Spring now, thanks to such a tea as this one.

Beethoven’s 6th Symphony http://youtu.be/34dU9RSWf28

TheTeaFairy

Tea and music that bring spring to mind…lovely review and lovely symphony…
But spring never seemed so far away, I just took the dog out and I almost lost my house! It disappeared in the snow storm and I was only a few feet away, lol!
Remember that picture I posted a few weeks ago? Just imagine now!!! We are 100% sure to have a white x-mas :-)

Terri HarpLady

Thanks for the music, Bonnie! It’s been awhile since I listened to this one!

Bonnie

We only had about 4 inches last week but the temperature has been freezing cold! It looks like daytime will get warmer the rest of the week as high as 41F. Sunny and dry mountain weather! I wouldn’t mind an inch or two of snow on Christmas day because my son Aaron is coming out from California. I’m pretty sure you get worse snows than I do. Drink lot’s of tea!!!

TeaVivre

I cannot agree with you more that drinking lot’s of tea is in heaven when cold season comes. This will definitely warm our heart this cold season.

tigdairy

From your description of the oolongs you like, I suggest Tender Branch from Five Mountain Tea. Its darker but very artisan, nice almost roasted coconut flavor.

This is a very light and smooth oolong. It is very floral, but not too strong, its light. Mid and end sip there is an almost woody taste. It is slightly sweet. Just a tad astringent after the sip. Green oolongs are not my favorite, but this one is pretty good. I think because it is floral but not overly floral.

A very nice smooth Oolong with nice subtlety and gentle flavor and aroma. Slight nutty and floral tones blend nicely for a well rounded brew.

Brewing this up using the western method tonight.
First steep is floral, nutty, and has a smooth, pleasant mouthfeel that reminds me of milk oolong.
Second steep is pretty similar, although it is starting to get slightly more vegetal tasting.

I’m a fan. One of my favorite oolongs. I don’t have much to say in regards to a description. I just shut down my critical mind I was so taken by this tea.

I’m almost exclusively a green tea guy. But this fall and winter I’ve found myself losing the taste a bit and longing for something different. I enjoy oolongs every now and then, along with some black teas and pu-erh, but I was looking for a departure, without going too far from green.

This tea gives me much of what I enjoy about greens while bringing a more overt profile. It has a complexity and some light spice notes along with floral qualities that don’t overwhelm. The liquor has a lovely, golden hue and the substantial, almost meaty leaves steep for many a forgiving infusion (starting at about 1 min, thereafter increasing the time by roughly 1/2 − 1, 1 1/2, 2 1/4, 3 3/8, etc). The mouthfeel is viscous and yet light; strangely paradoxical.

OK… maybe I had a thing of two to say. Maybe I’ll have more to say… I’m off to Teavivre to stock up before this find is a thing of the past.

Tea brewed in my double wall glass Finum. Nice balanced stimulating effect. Not sure of the theanine content of this guy, but I’m guessing the mouthfeel is a result of amino acids. Hoping that includes theanine. It feels like it to me.

Water: 8oz

Leaves: tiny medium green circles

Steep: 1m

Aroma: grassy

Color: yellowish green

Taste: This tea was the first Oolong I’ve had in a while since I haven’t been making tea as often. What I found surprising upon opening the package was the non floral aroma that most Oolongs carry. This time it was more of a grassy aroma that you find with green tea. I went on to brewing next, I checked the instructions and i noticed that I was supposed to use 1 tablespoon of tea, which is more than what I normally use of 1 tsp per cup. So I gave them a fifteen second rinse then continued brew for 1 minute. The flavor was very light almost bland but as it sat for a few minutes I noticed that the flavors intensified it was a bit bolder now. Overall a very nice Oolong if you looking for something non-floral and on the lighter end.

Backlog:

A gorgeous LiShan! Of course, I expect no less from Teavivre. They rock when it comes to awesome Oolong teas. (Or any tea for that matter. I haven’t had any real memorable bad experiences from Teavivre … I can only recall pleasant memories!)

Floral but not sharp. More like a sweet orchid with maybe hints of honeysuckle in the distance. As I continue to sip, I notice the floral notes becoming more complex.

Thinned creaminess – that is to say that it’s creamy but it isn’t a thick, heavy creamy taste and texture. Soft and silky!

I almost taste a cake-like flavor to this … imagine if you would an orchid infused cream cake. Sound good? Try this tea!

Here’s my full-length review: http://sororiteasisters.com/2014/01/14/nonpareil-taiwan-li-shan-oolong-tea-teavivre/

Light Oolong that is golden yellow in color and has a baked floral aroma. It is light, crisp, and sweet with a very nice floral flavor. The flavor is not overpowering and there is a slight bit of savoriness to it.

205 °F / 96 °C