2012 Yunnan Sourcing Dragon of Jing Mai Ripe Cake 100g

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by tperez

• “I think it's kind of obvious I wrote this entire review completely pu'er party time tea drunk. http://oolongowl.com/2012-dragon-jing-mai-puer-yunnan-sourcing-oolong-owl-tea-review/ This tea hits...” Read full tasting note
    awkwardsoul 935 tasting notes
  • “This tea definitely needs to be given some time to mellow out, but I think it will be nice given a year or so of aging. Dry cake: The dry leaves have a nice milk chocolaty color with a good...” Read full tasting note
    tperez 97 tasting notes

From Yunnan Sourcing

Our first ripe production of 2012. Expertly fermented 2011 material from Jing Mai area of Lancang county (Simao) was graded and pressed into this lovely 100 gram mini cake. Tea cake is composed of gong ting, te ji and grade 1 leaves and is the same consistency on the front, back and inside the cake. Light to medium fermentation gives this tea a strong taste and which stays in the mouth after drinking. High quality material appropriate for longer term aging!

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

I think it’s kind of obvious I wrote this entire review completely pu’er party time tea drunk.

This tea hits the pu’er tea drunk at the end and whoa, it hits hard! At the time of drinking, there’s some fermentation flavor in early steepings. Quite abrasive campy flavors with clay, dark wood, dirt, and tree sap. With each steeping the tea becomes sweeter amber and sap notes. Gorgeous red tea!
I’d love to try this with some aging on it, so into my dresser it goes. My husband is supposed to build me a better pu’er aging thing sometime.

Either way, $6 for a 100g cake is a steal!

Boiling
mrmopar

I think your review will have me finding this in a order soon. I have “eyed” this one a time or two.

Dry cake: The dry leaves have a nice milk chocolaty color with a good number of golden buds mixed in. The cake compression seems ideal (to this newb anyway), its pretty tight, but still loose enough to break apart without too much damage to the leaves.

1st infusion: I gave it a wash and brewed the first infusion; yuck! Tastes like a cup of fermentation. It really wasn’t worth drinking, so I transferred it to a cup to pour over my teapot.

2nd-5th: These were much more drinkable. There is still a some fermentation taste, but it was much less and joined by flavors of chocolate, celery, and oak.

5th-8th: This is where this cake shines. It still has a bit of compost flavor, but the “tea flavors” really come through with notes of date, pecan, cocoa powder, and red wine.

9th-10th: These were weaker, but otherwise like 5-8, and this is where I cut it off.

This isn’t the greatest right now, but I think it will be a nice tea.