drank 100 Monkeys by Pekko Teas

Edit: I doubt that the odd flavor was Pekko’s fault, it probably absorbed the scent from something else during its voyage across the pond; so I’m giving this a 70 as not to change the “Steepster Rating”

This tea is… Interesting…

Dry leaves: I opened up the bag and noticed a familiar smell that I couldn’t quite identify. The leaves are small, curly, and soft, and have a nice olive and white coloration.

Brewing: The leaves unfurled to reveal small young buds, and the liquer is a pleasant light yellow. While steeping it, I again smelled that smell that I couldn’t quite place.

Tasting: As I brought the cup to my lips, my brain cried out “TABASCO SAUCE!” for that is exactly the smell I had been thinking of. Confused, I took a sip and experienced a nice, light throat sensation and found a pleasantly bitter taste with notes of pine and melon… and, well, Tabasco sauce (not the spicyness, just the flavor)…

I’m now on the third steep, and still confused. The taste certainly isn’t unpleasant; in fact its growing on me, but I can’t seem to shake off the feeling that I’m drinking some very mild Tabasco.

For the benefit of my sanity, I may have to send some samples to someone o_0

Bonnie

I like your tasting notes. You have a wider range of scent profiles than most people. It’s like aroma bingo isn’t it.
and ‘Toabasco’ is the winner!

tperez

Haha, thanks Bonnie. Its fun to see what tastes/smells you can dig out of tea :)

Kashyap

Don’t know anything about the vendor, but if they are a 3rd/4th party vendor (like most are) and don’t get this directly from the farm, the likelihood is that it was stored poorly at the distributors (and then it is both the distributors fault and the dispensing vendor who should be cupping each new lot from them prior to selling anything from it. The often held onto misconception with coffee and/or tea is that the trip from origin to source is anything like direct. Its like Assam teas…most aren’t even aware that Assam has flushes like Darjeeling and that we as a nation typically only chance upon 3rd flush and most of that is almost a year old by the time it makes its way to the shelf. There are flavors in teas that we have yet to even savor and could very well be that this teas tabasco is part of that….

Comments

Bonnie

and ‘Toabasco’ is the winner!

tperez

Kashyap

My name is Thomas,

Long-time tea and coffee driker, but I only started getting into the world of good quality teas about two years ago.

My favorites right now are pu’erhs, Yunnan blacks, and Taiwanese oolongs. I’m not much into flavored teas, and jasmine almost always puts me off, but I love a good cup of chai or adding a spice or two to my teas sometimes.

I’m a 20 year old currently working in Orlando Florida, taking a semester off from school to try and figure out my place in the world.

I’m also a music lover. I’ve played guitar and violin for quite a while in classical styles, rock, etc., and also learning sitar and hindustani music.

I also love hiking/camping, Minecraft, Dr. Who, and downhill longboarding :)

My Rating Scale:
95-100 Wow! Praise the gods that be!
90-94 Pretty darn good
80-89 Nice, but either not quite to my tastes or not particularly head turning
70-79 Decent
50-69 Potable… under dire circumstances
0-50: Fifty shades of “blech!” Teas that aren’t worth their weight in pocket lint

Orlando, FL