drank Eggnog Yunan by 52teas

Cold Brew Sipdown (132)!

Thank you VariaTEA for the sample! I actually was surprised by just how much I really, genuinely liked this one. I finished the 25 oz. of it I had cold brewed in maybe five minutes? I mean, essentially I was just chugging. I don’t know if I’ve felt that passionate about a cold brewed tea all month, honestly. Like, I’ve drank some good things this month but that was shockingly super delightful and smooth.

First things first, I have to say that I was worried this would have far too much cinnamon and it’d taste drying. Like a tea version of the cinnamon challenge. I mean, that’s certainly the impression I got from the dry smell. However, both the cinnamon and the nutmeg were wonderful. In fact, I definitely tasted a lot more nutmeg than cinnamon. As well, I definitely got that sweet, eggy note that is obviously intended to be eggnog. Actually, though, in combination with the cinnamon and nutmeg and then sweet cocoa and malt notes from the base I have to say that while I 100% see where the “Eggnog” is coming from I’m reminded a lot more of French Toast. In fact, in many ways this reminds me of Liquid Proust’s French Toast Dianhong but with much more nutmeg and less vanilla/cream. I don’t know if you can call that a criticism, but if you can it’s probably my only one. I found this super, super enjoyable overall.

VariaTEA

Glad you enjoyed it as much as you did

Indigobloom

I’ve tried a few eggnog teas, and none have hit the nail on the head quite right. Maybe one day! :)

Comments

VariaTEA

Glad you enjoyed it as much as you did

Indigobloom

Hello;

My name is Kelly. I’m a mid twenties tea drinker and reviewer originally from the prairies, but recently relocated to Quebec. I started drinking loose leaf fairly casually about five years ago, and at some point between then and now that ‘fun little hobby’ turned into a serious obsession and career path.

You know you’ve got it bad when you get your hobby tattooed to your arm.

I’m a TAC certified Tea Sommelier!

Typically I drink flavoured blends more than straight but one of my mini goals is to get that ratio to a more 50/50 level. I do a daily cold brew, and have at least (but usually a lot more) two hot cups of tea every day. I love black and white tea, but traditional/straight and also flavoured or blended. I also drink a lot of oolong and shou teas. For my oolong, I prefer greener oolong in flavoured blends and darker or more oxidized oolongs more pure and with traditional preparation. For shou, I gravitate towards straight, unflavoured shou teas (the exception being Chenpi) but I drink it about 50/50 Western Style and Gong Fu. I WILL drink all tea types though.

Least favourite flavour notes/ingredients:
Lemongrass, ginger, strong Chai spice profiles,mushrooms, seaweed, chamomile, artificial tasting mango or peach, stevia, saltiness, or anything that reminds me too much of meat that isn’t supposed to taste like meat…

Currently exploring/looking to try: Sheng from Yiwu, straight teas with strong sweet potato notes, Dancong Oolongs, and compressed black teas. Also, I need to try ALL the root beer teas! Searching for a really good caramel flavoured blend, ideally with a black tea base.

Tea Pet Reference Guide: