Salted Caramel

Black Tea, Chicory Root, Natural Flavours, Rose Hips
Astringent, Caramel, Maple Syrup, Sweet, Tea, Burnt Sugar, Vanilla, Brown Sugar, Butterscotch, Toffee, Bitter, Butter, Cocoa, Salt
Tea Bag
High
Kosher
Edit tea info Last updated by Shae

From Bigelow

Beautifully balanced tea with creamy rich caramel flavor and just a hint of salt as an undertone

Enjoy this popular combination of sweet and salty, now in a teacup. Our all natural blend of hand-picked black tea and succulent caramel with just a hint of salt flavor is the perfect treat. Add a splash of milk and a little sweetener for a sublime guilt-free indulgence.

Black Tea, Natural Flavors (Soy Lecithin), Rose Hips, Chicory Root

STEEPING INSTRUCTIONS
Be sure to start with fresh cold water and bring to a rolling boil.
Pour over tea bag, steep for 4 minutes (or whatever time you like), remove bag (but no squeezing please!).

For Iced Tea by the Glass: Steep a little longer. Pour over ice.

About Bigelow View company

This tea has a surprisingly good caramel flavor for a grocery store brand and has become a mainstay in my household, at least until/unless it goes away when out of season. It’s not cloying or obviously fake-tasting. (I mean, clearly it hasn’t got real caramel in it, but I don’t sip it and go “wow, this sure is some Artificial Caramel Flavor” like I do with Bigelow’s vanilla tea.) With a little milk it’s a nice, creamy, sweet-but-not-overpoweringly-so black tea. It really isn’t salty at all, though; calling it “salted caramel” is clearly a trend-hopping marketing tactic more than an accurate description. But it’s still good!

This tea put me off immediately by smelling sickeningly sweet. I made it at work, and my coworker seated on the other side of the cube kitty-corner to me could smell the cup, it was just so syrupy-sweet smelling! I enjoy sweet teas, and it took me a long time to wean myself off adding sugar to my cuppa, and even I thought, “Ugh, that looks way too sweet!”

The taste was far too syrupy to me. There was certainly a caramely flavor to it, but it came off as a caramel-infusion of maple syrup rather than a caramel-flavored tea. I thought that adding sweetener was throwing fuel onto the fire, but trying to drink it plain, it somehow came off as far too astringent, despite having such a sweet flavor. The whole taste was just off-putting to me. I found it drinkable when I sweetened it, but it was so sweet I didn’t particularly like it. I couldn’t seem to find any happy medium where it came off right. The flavor and the blend just wasn’t my cup of tea.

Full review: https://teatimetuesdayreviews.wordpress.com/2017/02/07/tea06/

Flavors: Astringent, Caramel, Maple Syrup, Sweet

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML

This tea is DELICIOUS! You get the delicious taste of caramel. It’s like drinking liquefied caramel candy! Comfort in a cup!

Flavors: Caramel, Tea

8 min or more

I grabbed this on a whim, when I was looking for Twining’s Salted Caramel tea. It’s a nice black tea, it’s warm and vanilla-y. The caramel notes come out more with the help of a sweetener, so I use a packet of stevia when I really want that dessert flavour. My only question is, where is the saltiness?

Flavors: Burnt Sugar, Caramel, Vanilla

190 °F / 87 °C 5 min, 0 sec 12 OZ / 354 ML

The smell and taste is very sweet and caramely but there isn’t a lot of tea flavour.

Flavors: Brown Sugar, Butterscotch, Caramel, Sweet, Toffee

Boiling 4 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 10 OZ / 300 ML

First smell is dusty leaves with slight caramel scent. I steeped 2 bags to a huge cup with some almond milk and sugar. It smells like caramel steeped but tastes bitter and overly strong. I didn’t much like this tea.

I have no idea how long I let this steep. I got back to my desk and completely lost track of time. It’s not as sweet as I would like, but I ran out of honey so it will do.

200 °F / 93 °C 8 OZ / 236 ML

I’ve been absent from Steepster, and will probably continue to post sporadically until my personal issues are resolved.

I got this a while ago from a steepster friend. I also drank it a while ago, but have been unable to log it until now. I believe the member called this a ‘cheapie steepie’. For a cheapie steepie, I remember it being really gooooood. I don’t recall getting the saltiness, but I do remember the strong caramel flavour, and how much I enjoyed it. Whenever i’m in a grocery store (and if I remember) I have a look to see if they have it. I’d buy a box of it for sure.

Thanks for the sample, gmathis. For a ‘cheapie steepie’, this is mighty tasty!

Stephanie

Welcome back and hope your personal issues get worked out!

Thank you!!

gmathis

Can you get Bigelow there? (Laughing at myself as I ask that…you live much closer to actual civilization than I do :)

scribbles

Actually, I wondered that too :) in the grocery store I was at today they had Bigelow k cups. Sadly, not what I was looking for.

gmathis

Blecch. K-cups just taste like the cups.

scribbles

Never tried them, but now I know not to :)

Fjellrev

Hope things will get better for you and it’s great to see you around!

scribbles

Thanks:) Can’t wait for the stress to end.

Kirkoneill1988

the cheapie steepie part makes me laugh

A few weeks ago I received a lovely handmade card from GMathis with a few tea bags tucked in. Today was the perfect day to try them! It is really, really cold for where I live. We will be below freezing for a total of about 40 hours, and that is a big deal here in Eastern NC!

I chose this first because I recently fell in love with a dark chocolate salted caramel candy bar. I felt like I was having a dessert after lunch! The smell is remarkable – spot on caramel. It reminds me of 52Teas Weeping Angel.

The taste: a very enjoyable black tea with lots of caramel flavor. I enjoyed it plain, and I expect if you like to add sugar to your tea it really would taste just like candy.

Bigelow has been good to me. This is the tea they serve at the cancer center and I have tried a number of flavors there. All have been superior to most of the bagged teas I have found in the grocery store.

Thank you, GMathis! This was a great afternoon cup for huddling by the fire!

gmathis

It’s been a long john’s week here, too. However, sun has been shining, mostly; my un-scientific contention is that 20 and sunny is warmer than 40 with dampness and clouds.

I LOVE this tea! For an inexpensive cup that really packs a flavor punch, please try this one! The caramel notes and a very slight saltiness come through beautifully. I wasn’t sure I’d like this one, but it intrigued me and it was in my “stocking stuffer for myself” budget, so I thought I’d give it a try and I’m glad I did!

gmathis

Yup. Thumbs up here, too, especially for a cheapster.