Honey, I'm Comb!

Black Food Blend
Ceylon Black Tea, Chocolate Chips, Cocoa Bean Shells, Cocoa Beans, Flavouring, Licorice
Artificial, Caramel, Chocolate, Smooth, Sweet, Bitter, Honey, Milk, Tannic
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

• “Thanks so much for swapping this a while ago, Cameron B!  I’m reviewing this while it’s still available for probably one more day.  Though this tea seems bee themed, and it’s spring, flavorwise...” Read full tasting note
  • “I don’t know why I keep trying to make chocolate teas this week. But, this is another one that is just okay. I love the chocolate covered honeycomb that this tea is trying to replicate, but I’m...” Read full tasting note
  • “Thanks so much to tea-sipper for giving me the chance to try this one! It had a bit too much mineral flavor until I added some sugar and milk. Once I did though, wow it became tasty! So sweet. I’m...” Read full tasting note
  • “This is one of those teas that smells so good in the bag, but disappoints me when steeped. The dry leaf has a lovely rich milk chocolatey smell. The cup is a little oily, probably due to the...” Read full tasting note

From Bird & Blend Tea Co.

Chocolate-y, honeycomb goodness! (Vegan friendly too!)

Butter Brew may be gone, but Honey, I’m Comb! This Ceylon black tea is a blend of chocolate-y honeycomb goodness, perfect for biscuit dunking tea fans! Comb on, try me…

Mixologist top tip: Cold brew me with oat milk for an extra tasty treat. Feeling chilly? Heat me up on the hob!

Sri Lankan black tea, cocao beans, liquorice, cocoa shells, chocolate chips (sugar, cacao, emulsifier soya lecthin), flavouring

About Bird & Blend Tea Co. View company

Thanks so much for swapping this a while ago, Cameron B!  I’m reviewing this while it’s still available for probably one more day.  Though this tea seems bee themed, and it’s spring, flavorwise this seems like a comforting autumn/winter cup with it’s soothing creamy chocolate flavor.  I love the depth of the black tea – it’s dark enough!  And I love all the cocoa elements.  The licorice doesn’t make the flavor too weird like I seemed to find it did to Bananas & Custard – just a hint of licorice.  I’m not really tasting what makes this  a ‘honeycomb’ tea.  I wouldn’t notice unless it was pointed out, and maybe not even then.  The main flavor profile is a rich deep chocolate tea, with a creaminess that reminds me at times of the cream in my favorite Earl Grey Creams.  I like it!
Steep #1  // 1 1/2 teaspoons for full mug // 15 minutes after boiling  // 2 minute steep
Steep #2  // just boiled //  4 minute steep

Nattie

I wonder if it’s supposed to taste like a Crunchy?

tea-sipper

That sounds like one of those British things I have no idea what it is… however, their Cream Egg tea looks suspiciously like this blend except that one has… jasmine blossoms?!?! what the heck are they doing to the cream egg?!?!

Nattie

Lmao. Okay Cream Eggs definitely shouldn’t have jasmine in them! Crunchies are chocolate bars, Cadbury’s chocolate with honeycomb toffee inside. (:

CrowKettle

Yeah, sounds like a Crunchie! Honeycomb toffee goodness. We can get them here in Canada too!

tea-sipper

oh cool. I’ve never heard of honeycomb in chocolate before.

I don’t know why I keep trying to make chocolate teas this week. But, this is another one that is just okay. I love the chocolate covered honeycomb that this tea is trying to replicate, but I’m just not getting that flavor. It’s perfectly fine, but tastes more of a regular thin chocolate tea. My boyfriend is enjoying it, though. So, I’ll probably leave the rest of the bag to him.

Thanks so much to tea-sipper for giving me the chance to try this one! It had a bit too much mineral flavor until I added some sugar and milk. Once I did though, wow it became tasty! So sweet. I’m not sure exactly how to describe the flavor other than that it’s almost like dessert! I didn’t realize that it had chocolate in it until seeing the ingredient list once my cup was finished. That inclusion definitely explains the dessert flavor! Pretty nice for a morning cup.

The cup is a little oily, probably due to the chocolate chips. The flavor is quite thin, a wisp of chocolate and cream that reminds me of cheap, generic milk chocolate like you would get in chocolate coins or something similar. There’s a little bit of caramel or honey or something sweet.

I find the base tea to be rather cacophonous here, it’s a Ceylon and is quite brisk. It’s a bit overpowering compared to the flavoring.

Anyway, this one is meh for me. The concept sounded so good… :(

Flavors: Bitter, Caramel, Chocolate, Honey, Milk, Sweet, Tannic

Courtney

Such a shame!

Cameron B.

I know! T.T

I get what they were going for here. I distinctly taste the chocolate covered honeycomb candy taste they set out to emulate. It was harder to taste when it was hot, but I notice more of the flavor come out as it cools and in the finish of each sip. The thing I’m noticing in the B&B teas are the flavors are weak and that is the same with this tea. If they could only turn the dial up on the flavor a bit, it would be so much more delightful.

Cameron B.

I’m really enjoying the teas I ordered from Bird & Blend so far. They are definitely a bit more restrained in their flavoring than some other tea sellers, but I like that. You can’t please everyone though, unfortunately!

Dustin

It’s true. I’m learning pretty quickly that most of their teas are not for me. I need more than a hint of flavor and having to use my imagination to fill in the rest. Too bad I’m not still in Austin. It would make for an easy pass off of the B&B teas I’m not digging!

285/365

This one came to me in my August tea club box from Bird & Blend, and is part of their upcoming Autumn collection. I think it’s released this Sunday. It’s a black tea with honeycomb flavouring – so far, so good.

Taste wise, I’d say it’s sweet but not overly so – certainly not cloying. It contains liquorice root, which is my arch-nemesis, but interestingly I’m not having my usual issues with it. I can’t really taste it at all, in fact, which is a huge bonus! It mostly tastes like liquid Crunchie – lots of milk chocolate, with a decent smack of honey and a touch of caramel.

While nice, I’d not say it’s particularly remarkable. There are, after all, lots of chocolate flavoured teas out there. This one’s a good ‘un, and it’s pretty unique among B & B’s range, but it’s not one I’d go out of my way to drink again. It’s nice, but pretty ordinary. I think the USP here is probably that it’s vegan – I feel like that’s something they’ve been pushing for a while, and it’s interesting to see them add another string to that bow. I’m not vegan, so it’s not something that I really worry about when it comes to my tea choices, but I guess that just means I’m not the intended audience for this blend. If I were vegan, I’m pretty sure I’d find it more surprising since it’s a rarity to find a blend like this that is. For a non-vegan like me, though, this is pretty standard fare, so my rating reflects the flavour rather than anything else.

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 1 tsp