Yunnan Dian Hong Ancient Tree Black Tea

Brown Sugar, Wheat, Earth, Malt, Sweet Potatoes, Chocolate
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

2 Images

• “I get a malty aroma from this tea. It has a mild sweetness with flavors of wheat and brown sugar. It is a good cup of tea, but not one that will make it into my regular rotation.” Read full tasting note
  • “Oh happy day, my Teavivre order came in! This was one of the samples. I think I might be getting a bag next time. It’s really good, but how to describe? I’ve gotten some really unusual tasting teas...” Read full tasting note
  • “While purchasing a pound of Teavivre Golden Monkey tea (which I consider to be the BEST Golden Monkey of all that I’ve run across) online, I chose this Yunnan Dian Hong Ancient Tree Black Tea as...” Read full tasting note
  • “Thanks, Teavivre! Teavivre has SO many tangy/plumy black teas now, it’s almost impossible to choose which one I like the most. The plumy/tangy teas currently available: Lapsang Souchong Wild,...” Read full tasting note

From Teavivre

Growing Area: Fengqing, Lincang, Yunnan

Dry tea: The leaves are shiny brown, curly, wiry and well twisted with a high percentage of golden tips evident.

Aroma: akin to rose scent mixed with fruity and honey aroma.

Taste: It has rich, mellow taste and long-lasting fragrance/ ancient tree flavor.

This tea is made with tea leaves picked from ancient trees grown in deep mountainous area in Fengqing, Yunnan where the primitive ecological environments provide ideal organic growing conditions for black tea cultivation. The decomposition of the fallen leaves and wild fruits provide sufficient nutrients in the soil required by these tea trees luxuriated in this land for many years. This is just the secret why tea leaves from these trees are abundant in nutritious materials and can be endured for 8 infusions without bitterness. Overall, this tea will give you a rich, mellow taste, which is smooth and mild, followed by an enjoyable lingering sweetness sensation.

About Teavivre View company

Flavors: Brown Sugar, Wheat

205 °F / 96 °C 4 g 5 OZ / 147 ML

Oh happy day, my Teavivre order came in! This was one of the samples. I think I might be getting a bag next time. It’s really good, but how to describe? I’ve gotten some really unusual tasting teas from Teavivre, but this is not one of them. This has got a really classic profile. Rich, smooth, dark. I wouldn’t have thought ‘sweet potato’ on my own, but when I read it in some of the other notes, I could kind of see how that fits. No astringency at all, which is nice. I want to say this reminds me slightly of Golden Fleece, but I drank that so long ago I’m not sure that’s an accurate memory.

TeaVivre

I do enjoy this tea too! BTW, glad to hear that you’ve received the order!

Tamarindel

It arrived sooner than I expected, many thanks for the speedy service!

While purchasing a pound of Teavivre Golden Monkey tea (which I consider to be the BEST Golden Monkey of all that I’ve run across) online, I chose this Yunnan Dian Hong Ancient Tree Black Tea as one of the three free samples included with my purchase. I am always excited when there is a new black tea to try!

I opened up the sample package and I was immediately struck by the rich leathery smell and the long dark fresh-looking leaves. I steeped the tea for eight minutes (the maximum recommended time) at 185 degrees.

The brewed liquor smelled rich and leathery. The color was a bright orange-gold.

The taste was extremely full and smooth, with finely blended accents of sweet potato, malt, and earth. Astringency was not in its vocabulary. The aftertaste was gentle and brief.

This is another one of those teas that goes down so smoothly I am tempted to chug the entire cup. However, I’m sure I enjoyed it even more by savoring each sip.

This is an excellent black tea. It is worthy of a prominent position on my highly recommended list.

Flavors: Earth, Malt, Sweet Potatoes

185 °F / 85 °C 8 min or more 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

Thanks, Teavivre! Teavivre has SO many tangy/plumy black teas now, it’s almost impossible to choose which one I like the most. The plumy/tangy teas currently available: Lapsang Souchong Wild, Nonpariel Yunnan Dian Hong Ancient Wild, this one, are probably some other teas. I REALLY like all of them that I have tried. If I see that a black tea from Teavivre has ‘wild’ or ‘ancient’ in its name, than it will almost always have the tangy/plumy flavor that I love. The leaves here are huge, with hints of gold. There is definitely a unique tangy yet sweet molasses scent to the dry leaves. I think using 7 grams for a mug was a little too many leaves unless I steeped for almost three minutes. The resulting mug is a little more astringent than I like. I should have went with 5-6 grams and a two minute steep. But if you can see past the astringency, the tea is delicious. The deep amber brew has that tangy plum flavor and might be a little deeper and darker than some of Teavivre’s other wild/ancient teas, possibly because I expect Dian Hong to be a darker tea in general. Overall, another delicious blend I would love to stock up on.
Steep #1 // around 7 grams for a full mug// 14 minutes after boiling // 2 1/2 minute steep
Steep #2 // few minutes after boiling // 2-3 minute steep

Part 4 of my Teavivre Dian Hong series.

Prepared in a gongfu session with a ceramic gaiwan. Brewed with 200 degree temp. water since my kettle doesn’t have 195 setting. Rinsed the leaf for 5 seconds (was supposed to be the first infusion but it didn’t taste like anything). Steeping times: 5, 5, 5, 5, 10, 10, 15, 18, 30, 45, 60; 2 min, 2, 4, 12.

The dry leaf – nearly inch-long, needle-like, wiry – is dark, save for a few golden tips. It has an aroma of dark chocolate with a hint of malt. Surprisingly, the aroma is weaker after I let the dry leaf sit the heated gaiwan bowl, still having chocolate but also bread. In the beginning of the session, the wet leaf smells like tomato soup and oregano. After a time and some more infusions the leaf smells like raisins.

The liquor is a clear, bright orange. The texture is thick off the bat, becoming creamy in the middle of the session. While it has a full-body, it tastes light. The first couple infusions are malty, and tangy and sweet. Thereafter, I taste a consistent note of sweet potato – without the skin, it is worth noting since I couldn’t taste the bitterness that comes with sweet potato skin. Marshmallow might have also popped up, but that was probably just my brain thinking about the Thanksgiving dish.

I experimented by drinking the infusions from two different cups: ruyao and porcelain. I drank the previous Teavivre Dian Hongs with just the ruyao cup, fyi. This Dian Hong tasted sharper from the porcelain cup, whereas it came out muted from the ruyao cup. Also, creamy texture stood out more from the porcelain.

This is my second favorite Dian Hong I’ve tried from Teavivre. It does very well gongfu style, with quicker steeping times. The creamy texture, coupled with the sweet potato note, was very enjoyable. I also felt energetic, a little restlessly so.

7 g 4 OZ / 118 ML

This is a solid performer of a tea. It is not as good as their Nonpareil Ancient Tree Wild Tree but is pretty good. It has notes of malt and notes of chocolate in there. It’s got very little bitterness and just a little astringency. Overall I have to give this one a good rating.

I brewed this once in a 16oz Teavana Glass Perfect Tea Maker/Gravity Steeper with 3 tsp leaf and 195 degree water for 5 min.

Flavors: Chocolate, Malt